Friend Or Foe?

• Thread starter Oldmateslim
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madmax

Madmax

Well that place never got back to me...i was taking some branches off that will only grow pip corn at best and found this guy .he looked as if was eating something off the top of leaves...
20190211 132919

Madmax

Madmax

Just sprayed him and he instantly started regurgitatiing his stomach contents using his front legs and something else..i now have some evidence..its green lol...Nice bit of sherlock work i do say my dear watson :mushtache:
20190211 141023

Madmax

Madmax

He sure is.i better go back out and see if there is anymore..ive killed like over a hundred grasshoppers on plants over the last 3 months..i havnt seen any for last couple days so i might of wiped them out ;)

Madmax

Madmax

I knew it was something like that.i couldnt remember for the life of me...they blend in pretty well..found 2 more.on one plant..your right a few would near go unnoticable ..

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Did they lay eggs?

They inject their eggs into the plant stems. You may see tiny perforated lines. Usually unnoticeable and really only harmful to cannabis plants if they vector a disease or rot starts. Treehopper and leafhoppers do this as well. Since the plants are annuals, hatching larva and nymphs shouldn't be an issue. (With exception to long running mother plants. They may live long enough to see larva hatch. But still, this is unlikely since they'd have to be exposed to these pests and mothers tend to be kept in indoor environments.)
Download 1

I get loads of these Buffalo treehoppers on my girls early in veg.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Just sprayed him and he instantly started regurgitatiing his stomach contents using his front legs and something else..i now have some evidence..its green lol...Nice bit of sherlock work i do say my dear watson :mushtache:View attachment 856102

We call it spitting tobacco here. It is defensive regurgitation. The fluid contains a chemical produced by their stomach to deter would be predators.

Madmax

Madmax

Ahh.is that what he was doing..uno bout 3-4 weeks back i noticed these dotted lines on leaf margins and wondered wtf is was doing it,and they are perforated when wiewed under a 60x jewellerz loupe..i havnt been able to track what was doing it ..quite a few maks on leaves..ive even taken a few fingers off that had the dots on..

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Ahh.is that what he was doing..uno bout 3-4 weeks back i noticed these dotted lines on leaf margins and wondered wtf is was doing it,and they are perforated when wiewed under a 60x jewellerz loupe..i havnt been able to track what was doing it ..quite a few maks on leaves..ive even taken a few fingers off that had the dots on..

The dots on leaf margins are probably bites. Katydids have scissor-lilke mandibles not a proboscis so cuts could be bites.
Download 2

Eggs are usually laid in the stalk.
I spent all summer photographing the diversity of bugs in my hometown in Ohio 59c46e5b25bb7  880

Couldn't find a pic of katydid marks. Looks like they shove em into crevices. I don't know what the freshly laid eggs look like.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom