From EZ Cloner to UC?

• Thread starter TheColt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheColt

First run I used 4 inch rockwool cubes, but this second run I'm attempting to go straight from ez cloner into the veg UC system. How high should I keep the water level and do you have to top feed by hand for a while so the clones dont dry out in the hydoton?

They have been in there for about 2 days and don't look super healthy, a little droopy and havent grown much....Ive been hand watering them a few times a day while I'm in the room.

Also, I cleaned the system after my first run with Physan 20 and those dam foam bubbles are still in the system after flushing it about 5 times. How long do these take to go away? haha

thanks!

Phaivor

Phaivor

First run I used 4 inch rockwool cubes, but this second run I'm attempting to go straight from ez cloner into the veg UC system. How high should I keep the water level and do you have to top feed by hand for a while so the clones dont dry out in the hydoton?

They have been in there for about 2 days and don't look super healthy, a little droopy and havent grown much....Ive been hand watering them a few times a day while I'm in the room.

Also, I cleaned the system after my first run with Physan 20 and those dam foam bubbles are still in the system after flushing it about 5 times. How long do these take to go away? haha

thanks!

it all depends on how tall the plant is and how long the roots are, the water level should be touching the bottom of the net I believe, if your roots are not touching the water you will need to top feed till the roots are in the water, my plants do not leave the easy cloner till they are 1 foot tall already i dont know if it is the right way or not but when i transplant i have to cut a hole out of the center of the bottom of the net so i can slide the roots right out of the net strait into the water, in my opinion roots should not be in the net at all thay should be in the water.:bong2:

T

TheColt

How big of a hole do you cut in the net pots? I thought about that, but wouldnt hydroton fall out into the water?

St3ve

St3ve

I personally just grow out the roots to at least 6" then put the clone in the net pot against the bottom and fill it with media. The water level in veg is about an inch above the bottom of the pots so it covers the roots no prob.

Then in flower I drop the water level to about an inch below the pots.

Z

Zensai

it all depends on how tall the plant is and how long the roots are, the water level should be touching the bottom of the net I believe, if your roots are not touching the water you will need to top feed till the roots are in the water, my plants do not leave the easy cloner till they are 1 foot tall already i dont know if it is the right way or not but when i transplant i have to cut a hole out of the center of the bottom of the net so i can slide the roots right out of the net strait into the water, in my opinion roots should not be in the net at all thay should be in the water.:bong2:

Have you ever had issues with the stem rotting at the bottom if you cut a hole, and push the roots all the way through the hole?

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

The reason that i advise against this method is rot. Often times clones leave the EZ cloner with rot and when this is the case its impossible to finish the run without dealing with rot the whole time.

Even when they do not leave the cloner with rot the addition 5-15 days in the water means again increased rot possibilities.

T

TheColt

DS, how do you clone for your undercurrents? Rockwool? Ive read your walk through on how to VEG for the UC, but what about cloning? Thanks

St3ve

St3ve

Often times clones leave the EZ cloner with rot...

I normally enjoy your posts but I have to disagree with this comment. I personally have never, not once, got stem rot or root rot from my cloner after hundreds and hundreds of clones. Ever. I've also made DIY EZ style cloners for a few friends and THEY have also never experienced this.

I'm not trying to nit pick but if you want to say "I often times get rot when I clone" that's fine but saying it as a general rule is just plain incorrect.

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

I do this all the time and mine are fine as well. Just bump the water level up an inch and top water for the first week and there will be roots coming out the bottoms

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

I normally enjoy your posts but I have to disagree with this comment. I personally have never, not once, got stem rot or root rot from my cloner after hundreds and hundreds of clones. Ever. I've also made DIY EZ style cloners for a few friends and THEY have also never experienced this.

I'm not trying to nit pick but if you want to say "I often times get rot when I clone" that's fine but saying it as a general rule is just plain incorrect.

But i don't often get it, i often see other people get it.

When consulting on a commercial scale a lot more is involved then what seems to "work." The use of an EZ cloner provides no benefits over cloning in rockwool, however can lead to serious problems down the road.

If an ez cloner is working for you, by all means keep using it. Just be aware that your adding 5-15 days of potential rot to an already rot prone system.

G

gettogro

I personally use rockwool, but Im doing an experiment with some ewc tea and some clean lava rock in a ez cloner, its supposed to be the way to go.

Phaivor

Phaivor

How big of a hole do you cut in the net pots? I thought about that, but wouldnt hydroton fall out into the water?

the hole is a 1x1" square in the middle, & yes some time you will find a lil bit floating on top of the water, as long as it is on top of the water it cant clog nothing, if the plants get to big i will even go back & cut the hole even bigger if needed... "Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something."
Thomas A. Edison

Phaivor

Phaivor

Have you ever had issues with the stem rotting at the bottom if you cut a hole, and push the roots all the way through the hole?

no I have not I keep the part on the plant where the roots conext to the stem about 1" above the net but the main feed line in the roots over grows the 1" square normally

St3ve

St3ve

But i don't often get it, i often see other people get it.

When consulting on a commercial scale a lot more is involved then what seems to "work." The use of an EZ cloner provides no benefits over cloning in rockwool, however can lead to serious problems down the road.

If an ez cloner is working for you, by all means keep using it. Just be aware that your adding 5-15 days of potential rot to an already rot prone system.

No benefits? How about not having to use rockwool at all? Or use a cloning gel/solution, or prep the stem or play with trays and domes. I used to clone in rockwool for years when I did ebb n flo. Ever since I switched to a cloner its never easier. I do nothing but cut a branch off and stick in in the cloner and forget about it for 10 days. I don't have to check it or worry about domes or anything anymore and I always get 100% with no rot.

I also didn't say seems to work, I said works. I already told you I've had nothing but success with many clones, many times.

T

TheColt

So the problem was not with the plants getting enough water to the roots when transplanted into the UC from the EZ cloner, It was that they had slight root rot and tan roots when I put them in....Just finished pulling them all out and cutting new clones to try this one more time haha. DS is right, you better make sure you dont have root rot in the system before you drop the clones in the UC or its game over.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

You guys will think I'm nuts but for my last 4 grows I have just cloned and veged the same way I do for dirt and just take the veged plant right out of the 6" pot, dirt and all and tap any lose stuff off than thin layer of hydroton than right to the bottom of the net pot and fill with hydroton. At first I was scared shitless about pathogens from the dirt or who knows what but nothing has happened.

deacon1503

deacon1503

I have tried most ways and each have their own pros and cons. Currently using a turboklone 24. Having left clones in the cloner to long and transferring who knows what to my UC to many times I've found, in my case that is, moving the freshly rooted cuts, I mean like max of about 4" or so of fresh bright white spikes is the best time. They are still so new that the plant doesn't and can't really even, develop any form of shock. The spikes are too new to have pathogens attached, hopefully that is, and every time that I have been diligent about my cuts and their transfer I've had home runs. There's no reason a rooted cut should be in a cloner any longer than necessary, its one less environment for her.

On page 18 of the new cch2o catalog they show a smart pot insert for their 8" hd net pot. Getting a clone started in these pots in soil/Coco etc might be an interesting option. Would the roots just grow through the fabric and right into the water?

Latest posts

Top Bottom