Fruit Fly/ Drain Flies

• Thread starter uns420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
uns420

uns420

so I am a dwc single bucket style grower. I have been getting an infestation of fruit flys I guess. I went to do a res change and noted spots on. Y leaves. I did a flush and tea bath. I didn't notice any worsening of the problem. So I assumed I corrected it. I went to transplant from my 5gal bucket to my 18 gal muck bucket and I noticed at least a dozen worm like larva in my roots and a ton of the flys flew out of. Y bucket. What can I do to resolve this issue? I have azamax and Monterey garden bug spray I though about doing a root drench as I red about using azamax at about 2oz per gallon, any suggestions or advice before I attempt this? (Really don't want to but I don't know what else to try)

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I just used azamax in dwc and I ran it in my rdwc. I only saw about a half dozen Lil flying things.. I didn't notice any larvae. I root drenched my dwc for about 15 mins. I also ran a pump from my check tube to top of bucket and let it circulate for 30 mins. Haven't seen any since. I ran it in my Rdwc for 24 hrs. Good to go. My question is are you in veg or flower?

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

so I am a dwc single bucket style grower. I have been getting an infestation of fruit flys I guess. I went to do a res change and noted spots on. Y leaves. I did a flush and tea bath. I didn't notice any worsening of the problem. So I assumed I corrected it. I went to transplant from my 5gal bucket to my 18 gal muck bucket and I noticed at least a dozen worm like larva in my roots and a ton of the flys flew out of. Y bucket. What can I do to resolve this issue? I have azamax and Monterey garden bug spray I though about doing a root drench as I red about using azamax at about 2oz per gallon, any suggestions or advice before I attempt this? (Really don't want to but I don't know what else to try)
And I didn't use 2 Oz a gal either. I used enough for 2 gals with 4 gals of water...

uns420

uns420

I'm in veg, I was prepping to flip in a week. What kind of dosing did you use exactly? Per label instructions just diluted to two extra gallons?

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I'm in veg, I was prepping to flip in a week. What kind of dosing did you use exactly? Per label instructions just diluted to two extra gallons?
Yep.. .. I was concerned because I was in flower. So far no problems. Diluted to about half strength. Hell it cost 25 for just a couple plants at their rate for a dunk and then they want you to repeat it...

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I would do it now and wait 2 weeks then flip.. imo... Also if you had larva and bad infestation I would probably follow the directions exactly for .06%

uns420

uns420

So in a single bucket .06% and circulating it threw the bucket for 30 min? After soaking for 15min? Should I flush afterwards or just half strength my nutes and tea?

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Well I ran straight ro water for 24 hrs after that and then went straight back to normal feeding. I think the 24 hrs was really good for it too...

And remember I used a pump to circulate the ro thru tube and all thru net pot for a couple hrs before I filled back up with nutes...

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I have some decent size girls to.. but that's what I did..
20161119 203006

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't typically do DWC, but I have had to battle fruit flies, fungus gnats, drain flies, whatever you want to call them. The way I won was Spinosad root drenches + bleaching my drains. I kept having them return quickly until an older neighbor suggested I should bleach my drains. That was the death knell.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Promis ftmfw

It's my go to soil drench every up pot, and just at flip. And bleaching drains. Gotta love the FG ffof gives you free with their soil.

3ml/gal for uppotting clones from cloner

10ml/gal potting clones to 5gal pots

15ml/gal when flipping

uns420

uns420

I'll just throw an update on this about 13 hours ago I was already flushing it w tea and r/o water. I added 6table spoons of azamax to it and instantly it foamed like peroxide in an infected wound. I cut off my air supply to that container and it quit foaming like that. I set up an in line pump from my sight glass to the top of net pot. Used a zip tie to hold it in place. It's still soaking. Before I go to work tonight I'm going to flush it and do the same w r/o water.

I am looking at what I have available at my local grow store and the only thing with spinosad they have is the Monterey garden spray concentrate which I have. So I may go that route if this doesn't work

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I'll just throw an update on this about 13 hours ago I was already flushing it w tea and r/o water. I added 6table spoons of azamax to it and instantly it foamed like peroxide in an infected wound. I cut off my air supply to that container and it quit foaming like that. I set up an in line pump from my sight glass to the top of net pot. Used a zip tie to hold it in place. It's still soaking. Before I go to work tonight I'm going to flush it and do the same w r/o water.

I am looking at what I have available at my local grow store and the only thing with spinosad they have is the Monterey garden spray concentrate which I have. So I may go that route if this doesn't work
I would definitely bleach the drains which I assume us just pouring a cup of bleach down your drain :(

Also I do think they call for a second application to kill any eggs that were already laid. Azamax messes up their growth, hormone, or reproduction.

You did say you had them bad. I'm getting ready to pull my big girl out and look at her roots. She get harvested soon. She might get all her big top off tonight

JSmokes420

JSmokes420

What's the strongest chemical made for these? I'm looking for the s*** you have to mask up to apply.

Everything is still in veg btw

uns420

uns420

Ok so another update. Yesterday after I flushed all the larva were gone. I flushed my bucket w maybe 20 gal of fresh r/o. Then I noticed some type of small slinky worm like bug on some leaves. So I sprayed Monterey garden spray over everything last night and again today. Fresh nute soup. Fresh comPost tea. I didn't see any larva or bugs today I flushed again before I added nutes and tea.

Thanks for the help everyone. I will update again soon.

Top Bottom