FUCK!!!! 1000w Quantum Digital Ballast humming and knocks out my cable when on...HELP PLEASE!!!!

• Thread starter dirtyshawa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

Brand new ballast first time using...I've never seen this before...I've only had nextgen ballasts. What do i do? Is this a problem with this brand...do I exchange it for another? Please HELP!!!

cannabeans

cannabeans

Its the frequency that the digi ballast runs on that is effecting your cable. I would choose a different ballast with a different operating frequency. There is some kinda shield that is sold but I wouldnt have the slightest idea where to get them.

cannabeans

cannabeans

It will effect your neighbors cable if they are close enough, so be careful. Cable co might send someone out to find out what the disturbance is.

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

Its the frequency that the digi ballast runs on that is effecting your cable. I would choose a different ballast with a different operating frequency. There is some kinda shield that is sold but I wouldnt have the slightest idea where to get them.

Ok it says 50-60 Hz...what frequency ballast should I have? I intended to get a solis tek matrix, but the seller made the purchase too difficult (ebay guy). He said something about this RFI if you don't use their bulbs. Anyway what ballast should I get that doesn't have this problem?

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...take it back man, better to be safe than sorry, if it's new returning and exchanging it shouldn't be a problem.

btw, i only use magnetic ballasts because this sort of problem just isn't possible so you never have to worry about the police or a cable guy knocking at your door wanting to know what it is in your house that's interfering with your neighbors cable signal.

peace, bozo

B

Buzzbait

I had a quantum 1000 watt a it got hot and about burnt my house down.I exchanged it and have not had any problems.I use sun system now,very little buzzing and no fire.Im only running about 3000 watts for my own meds

donmekka

donmekka

If its knocking out your cable chances are its gonna mess with your entire neighborhood and that's a good way to grab alot of unwanted attention. Like Bozo I run magnetic ballast just for this reason... not only that but there only 100-125 bones a pop.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

If its knocking out your cable chances are its gonna mess with your entire neighborhood and that's a good way to grab alot of unwanted attention. Like Bozo I run magnetic ballast just for this reason... not only that but there only 100-125 bones a pop.
...another big plus with magnetic ballast's is they are DIYer repairable, ...with only three components, a transformer, a capacitor and an igniter, there just isn't that much that can go wrong so even with just a basic understanding of electricals, repairing a magnetic ballast is no big whoop.

10099150 hps with capacitor final

...here's a couple pics of a couple of 150HPS Vapor Tight fixtures i bought some years ago for $20.00 each, as you can see i had to remove all components from the original fixtures which were then discarded.

...the boxes i'd originally planned on using.

DSCI1296smll

...and here they are in the boxes i actually used, DIYing shit is all about adapting to fit the situation.

DSCI1417

DSCI1422

...and the twin 150's in the DIY cooltube i made.

DSCI1440

...after about a year i decided to upgrade to a 400CMH and rather than buy a ballast i bought a kit and built the ballast myself.

DSCI2125

DSCI2129

DSCI2126

DSCI2128

DSCI2170

...so yeah, lol, i'm a big fan of magnetic ballasts.

peace, bozo

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

quantums are suposed to be rf shielded and not interfer. it was the reason i first grab them over lumentek. is there a possbility its not a real quantum?

This is what I thought aswell. It's real...I think I caught it out on eBay with a digilux mh bulb for $230. I contacted the eBay seller and they said to contact hydrofarm to see if they can trouble shoot it. I've been researching this like crazy and I'm tempted to buy those ferrite beads from radio shack cuz I hit my plants with the 1000w @50% and the love it.

I really don't want to put them back under cfl light but since it's only been one day I should be ok. Anybody try those ferrite beads? Would three do the trick?

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

...another big plus with magnetic ballast's is they are DIYer repairable, ...with only three components, a transformer, a capacitor and an igniter, there just isn't that much that can go wrong so even with just a basic understanding of electricals, repairing a magnetic ballast is no big whoop.

View attachment 380250

...here's a couple pics of a couple of 150HPS Vapor Tight fixtures i bought some years ago for $20.00 each, as you can see i had to remove all components from the original fixtures which were then discarded.

...the boxes i'd originally planned on using.

View attachment 380249

...and here they are in the boxes i actually used, DIYing shit is all about adapting to fit the situation.

View attachment 380255

View attachment 380256

...and the twin 150's in the DIY cooltube i made.

View attachment 380260

...after about a year i decided to upgrade to a 400CMH and rather than buy a ballast i bought a kit and built the ballast myself.

View attachment 380262

View attachment 380263

View attachment 380264

View attachment 380266

View attachment 380265

...so yeah, lol, i'm a big fan of magnetic ballasts.

peace, bozo

I remember years ago when I began lurking on the various canna boards I heard and saw people debate digital vs magnetic. I'm running a vertical barebulb tent...isn't the knock on magnetic ballast that they're less efficient or something. I really don't care I just want a high quality end product and the ability to get 1gpw or more IF I have my strain dialed 6-8 week veg time. Is this so with magnetic ballasts with your experience

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...i'm not sure but i think the efficiency issue is more regarding electrical cost's and less about lumen output, that's my understanding anyway and i don't mind paying a little more for my electricity for the ability to fix my own ballasts as well as the knowledge that my ballasts just CAN'T cause any RF interference.

...digi's are more versatile, many are switchable and 'dimmable' but they are also much more expensive and when they shit the bed you just have to get another, there is no way you could fix it yourself unless you had more than a basic understanding and a shop with the test equipment to find the problem.

anyway, my magnetic ballast's have been running for years without issues and that reliability is worth something to me as well.

peace, bozo

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

...i'm not sure but i think the efficiency issue is more regarding electrical cost's and less about lumen output, that's my understanding anyway and i don't mind paying a little more for my electricity for the ability to fix my own ballasts as well as the knowledge that my ballasts just CAN'T cause any RF interference.

...digi's are more versatile, many are switchable and 'dimmable' but they are also much more expensive and when they shit the bed you just have to get another, there is no way you could fix it yourself unless you had more than a basic understanding and a shop with the test equipment to find the problem.

anyway, my magnetic ballast's have been running for years without issues and that reliability is worth something to me as well.

peace, bozo

Thanks guys for the input btw it's much appreciated. So, you've sold me on these magnetic ballasts. Here's where I'm at after speaking to the eBay seller tell me what you guys think.

I paid $230 for a 1000w mh digilux bulb and 1000w dimmable Quantum ballast. The seller with give me a refund or exchange the ballast for another or whatever I want for the equivalent. They told me to just give them the item number so they can exchange it. This is what I'm thinking...they have a deal with 2 Valueline 1000w magnetic ballasts and a deal for 2 Maxlume 1000w mh bulbs

That's $175 for 2 1000w switchable ballast and $45 for 2 1000w mh bulbs. That's a good deal right?

Last edited:
Tank333

Tank333

Man, that's a good deal on the ballasts, for sure. But I'm not so sure about those bulbs... They seem pretty cheap, and cheap bulbs (from what I read on the forums) tent to burst, sending glass shards all over your herb.

I would get those ballasts, and bulbs that are a little higher quality than those.... Just my 2 cents.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I think quantum has changed hands recently,not sure if their even in production still,i know my shop cant get the badboy t5s anymore.Id get a solis tek,i certainly would not try to cheap out using some valuline ballast from china,that will just get you even more problems,Buy cheap and buy often,lol.

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

Man, that's a good deal on the ballasts, for sure. But I'm not so sure about those bulbs... They seem pretty cheap, and cheap bulbs (from what I read on the forums) tent to burst, sending glass shards all over your herb.

I would get those ballasts, and bulbs that are a little higher quality than those.... Just my 2 cents.

Ok I definitely feel you on those bulbs. I'm a sucker for name brand anything just because quality is usually attached to a higher end product. However, my hands are tied to what they have in stock you. I'm gonna do another search at their ebay store for mh bulbs, but I'm just gonna buy my old faithful eye Hortilux for flowering.

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

I think quantum has changed hands recently,not sure if their even in production still,i know my shop cant get the badboy t5s anymore.Id get a solis tek,i certainly would not try to cheap out using some valuline ballast from china,that will just get you even more problems,Buy cheap and buy often,lol.

Man I'm spinning in circles here. That was my first choice, but I've seen reviews and spoke to a solis tek distributor who said they've have the RFI problem when you run a lamp other than the solis tek brand or with certain hoods. I running bare bulb vert though using the sun systems socket assembly. Could you give me some insight on your Solis tek experience? It would be much appreciated.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I personally have never had an issue with solis tek running any kind of bulb but having said that ive run plenty of quantums before and never had an issue either.Only reason i question the quantum is i think they were part of the RM group that went bankrupt awhile back and im not sure if the quality is still the same or not.As far as the solis tek distributor saying we prefer you run our bulb well thats because they dont make any money off other folks bulbs,lol,he is just doing what hes paid to do,SELL.

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

I personally have never had an issue with solis tek running any kind of bulb but having said that ive run plenty of quantums before and never had an issue either.Only reason i question the quantum is i think they were part of the RM group that went bankrupt awhile back and im not sure if the quality is still the same or not.As far as the solis tek distributor saying we prefer you run our bulb well thats because they dont make any money off other folks bulbs,lol,he is just doing what hes paid to do,SELL.

Right. I know they'll make more money and honestly when you have the same brand throughout everything just runs better. The bulbs aren't that much, so it's cool.

I just got off the phone with the ebay seller and he's gonna refund my purchase once i ship it back. Are you absolutely positive about solis tek not having an RFI issue. I've seen good review upon good review, but I did see one where a guy was like he had the same issue I had and the cable company knocked on his door. I think it was an Amazon review.

Natural

Natural

I think most most new digi's have some RFI shielding these days..I bought some cheap gromedics and xtrasuns and they have great shielding. I think when folks have problems it's because the coaxial that is installed in the house is old and isn't as shielded or un-shielded as the new stuff. Have you noticed the same interference when you run the bulb at 100%? I never dim bulbs..only change the bulbs out to fit the dial if I choose.
Good luck hope it works out for you..there's always upgrading the coaxial inside..switching to satellite...or running magnetics.

Top Bottom