Fun Thread...name The Deficiency

• Thread starter ken dog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ken dog

ken dog

Looks more like ca than mn to me, but I am a noob so what do I know

Well, the thing is, I'm pretty sure I was wrong in thinking it was a Calcium deficiency...because it is occurring on the lower, older leaves.
But hey, sure looks like it.

It could possibly be a Potassium deficiency... Because sometimes, a potassium deficiency will present itself with spots like this before the necrosis on the edges and tips begin.

Most likely though, it's ozone.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
K issues tend to present right smack in the middle of the plant, IME. I agree with you re: Ca- specifically due to the location of where you're observing the necrosis. Scoping is showing there are no bugs on the leaves.

MGRox

MGRox

I can confirm from recent testing in Veg that K- still does show exactly the same way as in flower. Mid plant with necrotic edge spots and inward chlorosis.
I've been testing NPK's in veg, as of late and one interest is to see if all deficiencies show similarly as in flower.

The first point where I was able to illicit a K- response was at a K:N ratio of 0.8 (ex. 80K to 100N). Note that this deficiency ONLY occurred with plants in 16oz containers longer than 2 months. I.e. did not show on non-rootbound plants. Theoretically in plants that are not rootbound can tolerate down to a K:N ratio of 0.6 minimum (ex. 60K to 100N), but I've not tested that yet.

*fwiw, lowering my K:N ratio played a role in reducing stem and petiole purpling.

ken dog

ken dog

I am growing and LSD from Barney's Farm as well and then showing the same exact efficiency when I figure out how to use my phone correctly I will post a picture

thanks... Are all of your LSD plants showing the same deficiency?

I'm only growing one, and it is the only plant out of all of mine that are showing this deficiency.

ken dog

ken dog

Pretty much ruled out ozone, because it was the only plant showing it, and it was only on the bottom three sets of leaves with no further progression... and the ozone has been running steady, except at night...

Still, no odor at all, and I made a few changes to the reaction chamber to make it more efficient.

One other thing... one of my many grow buddies had the same thing happen to a couple of his plants that are the same strain, and he's not using ozone.

I think I will chalk it down to transplant stress, and a negligence to add nutrients for several days after transplant into a soilless medium... or maybe just bad voodoo.

Last edited:
ken dog

ken dog

So here's another one... This is not my grow.
It is my friend's... I have all the pertinent details if you need them.

IMAG0028
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

IME, and observations of other non-hydro grows, it's near impossible to determine what the actual cause of a condition is. With hydro, you dump the nutes, flush for 1-2 days, and make fresh nutes, then observe

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh yeah!
So how would you fix it?... My friend would like to have some new ideas besides what I have given him.
Super easy way to Dx Mg- is to do a foliar application. I personally have never seen Mg- present like that, I see a yellow halo first, before any form of necrosis sets in.

Quarter teaspoon of Epsom salt dissolved in a gallon of water + sticker-spreader. If it's Mg then you'll see changes within a few hours. If not, back to the drawing board.

Btw, that still looks not a thing like any K issue I've dealt with.

If it's strain dependent, and your friend is indeed observing the exact same thing (his leaf looks rather different to my eyes, he's got deficiencies going whereas yours look pretty good outside those little spots)(just sayin') then I'd be curious to know one more thing--lighting. Have you gone through Capulator's thread on how light spectrum affects nutrient uptake? That's the last thing I personally can think of based on what's being reported.

ken dog

ken dog

Very possibly so... I appreciate your corrections.:)

I forgot to add one more thing, and I think might be the cause of his deficiency... He is using a CO2 burner. Maybe it is not combusting totally.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Once you get into supplemented/enriched rooms, you've moved beyond my realm of experience. I understand that CO2 not operating properly can cause some right proper weirdness.

How are these plants growing otherwise? All I really noted were those little spots.

Top Bottom