Fungi or mold in bark mulch? Harmful?

• Thread starter RiverCityCBD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RiverCityCBD

RiverCityCBD

Hey farmers,

New to organic growing. Using bark mulch for a few runs and no issues. Previously went light with the mulch, this run applied mulch generously ( 2-3” ) which from what I’ve read is what most likely motivated this situation.
Not sure whether this is fungi or mold.
I can’t help think it’s bad news but maybe it’s beneficial? First appeared day after applying a ACT using 50/50 fresh castings and SeaSoil compost.
My searches come back with outdoor scenarios where removing infected mulch and raking it out.

Anyone know what pics show and advice on how to handle?

Thank you

Fungi or mold in bark mulch harmful
Fungi or mold in bark mulch harmful 3
Fungi or mold in bark mulch harmful 2

Fungi or mold in bark mulch harmful 4
Homesteader

Homesteader

I think you are fine. The wood will break down like this and will speed up when you add something like fish or ACT to it.
The breaking down of the wood will take some extra Nitrogen and Phos from you soil to maintain the microbes feeding on it but it will be returned later

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
I've often wanted to mulch my containers indoors but have feared bugs.
Every dead organic matter is in a steady state of degradation as it breaks down so the mold and fungus are different than the types that give us headaches indoors. BUT, my concern has been how "clean" the mulch would be and bug free.

RiverCityCBD

RiverCityCBD

I think you are fine. The wood will break down like this and will speed up when you add something like fish or ACT to it.
The breaking down of the wood will take some extra Nitrogen and Phos from you soil to maintain the microbes feeding on it but it will be returned later

Thanks Homesteader!

I was tempted to remove / strip all the mulch from the garden at first site but then the more I looked at it , seemed like a natural breakdown process of the mulch.

I’ve been working on keeping the top layer moist with light daily watering as I’ve read is the path to go with living soil, as I mistakenly used to aim for wet / dry cycles. Maybe the consistent moisture + higher quality ACT is why I’ve never seen this before.
I’ve read about how different types of mulches can rob the soil of various elements. This article is what got me worried I had ‘dog vomit’ spawning.

I’ll leave it alone, let the breakdown happen and update this thread down the road.

Thanks again

RiverCityCBD

RiverCityCBD

Every dead organic matter is in a steady state of degradation as it breaks down so the mold and fungus are different than the types that give us headaches indoors. BUT, my concern has been how "clean" the mulch would be and bug free.

I totally understand where your concerns come from SkunkyDunk. I was the same but after reading countless articles stating the numerous benefits of mulching and its increased importance in Organics, I had to take the plunge.

I weakly attempted to scan the mulch bags for bugs and didn’t see much but what has happened is during an ongoing battle with Fungus Gnats a few of them have moved into the bulk bags, which is a problem / nasty. Also makes fighting Gnats more challenging with go-to methods like drying out top 2-3” of medium and / or top dressing with crushed Mosquito Dunks ( BT ) etc .
Top dressing in general gets slowed down and stuck in mulch a bit.

On the other hand feel like I’ve seen some happier girls, improved root growth up top and plants retain moisture better.

Unsure where I stand on mulch lol

Thanks for the input.

RiverCityCBD

RiverCityCBD

On second thought, if your aiming for the sterile route, maybe one of those rubber / plastic mulch products would be ideal? Just throwing it out there.
If I was using synthetics / hydro I personally wouldn’t be mulching.

Top Bottom