Fungus gnat attack!

• Thread starter meanwhile
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

meanwhile

im in the 5th week of flower and i have a sudden infestation of fungus gnats. they are sticking to the buds like crazy and are crawling all over the soil. i used gnatrol as a soil drench 3 times in the past 7 days and now its worse than before. So, i used azamax in a soild drench and sprayed the drain holes in the pots with gnatrol. is there anything else i should be doing? also i have some sticky traps. how long should it take to get them with the gnatrol?

Abek666

Abek666

yellow fly stickers they are atracted to this collor and the chem stuff mostly not work.
take an womans nylon stocking an span it over the pots keeps the adult flys from flying and reproducing next step is to let your girls dry out properly and just water after a good dryout period but dont kill your plants the problem is the gnats love wet soil to bread in. a big healthy plant can easily resist this critters they could only strive in real wet climates, consider that you may be overwatering

oh and i never could get rid of them with the chem stuff i used nemathodes for real big infestation (greatfully just one time ever had this problem) but now its too late they not sending them when the climate is too cold so only options left are the chems or the before mantioned changes its up to you

whish you luck with these little fuckers

P

phildeez247

once you break the cycle with gnatrol you should be ok....we had a problem a while back and top dressed each pot with malibu compost.....not only do the plants love it but after you water with it on top it hardens up and the gnats cant get through it to lay eggs...and the existing larva couldnt get through it to fly out...we top dressed with it and hit it with gnatrol and they were gone within a few days...make sure to put about 2 inches on the top of your soil....and be careful the 1st few times you water or the water will dig right through the compost

H

H3AD_CAS3

using Canadian Xpress TanLin, (NilNat) on their site, with promising results..too early to tell

M

meanwhile

thanks for all the input. im going to try and let the soil dry out some and keep up with the natrol. has anyone tried using a sand or perlite barrier of a couple inches on top of the soil to prevent soil contact by the gnats? i use 10 gallon pots so the panty hose probably wont fit over it.

B

Buddy Hemphill

BTi.

+1 for Microbelift.

1 drop for 5 gallons I believe? I just kinda squeeze it in there...prolly three or four times that amount. I dont get gnats. I use it EVERY time I water or feed.

Look at cost vs dispersal rate vs spore count.

ML takes the cake and you can buy it at Ace Hardware.

Oh yeah....top dress heavily with DE. It kills all kinda shit. Gnats cant get thru the layer.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I use a layer of play ground sand.. It worked great them bastards can't get in the soil or out the soil.. I'm not sure how u would keep them from entering threw the bottom drain holes tho.. I use smart pots so I don't have that problem

HumboldtDr

HumboldtDr

Whats your ailment?
Supporter
i've used predator nematodes w/ pretty good success. the compost idea is a great one.

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

I've had a gnat issue. I just bought some Sierra Natural SNS 203 soil drench but to this point I was using Earthtone Insecticidal spray. It looks like SNS and Earthtone are pretty much made from the same stuff, herbs like clove and rosemary. The Earthtone works and has definitely been keeping the gnats in check but I think they're still trying to rally. I hit em the past two days in a row with a major foliar soaking and this morning I didn't see many but I wanna try a soil soak to see if it's effective. I would recommend EarthTone because it works well and it doesn't smell super terrible like a lot of the organic soaps do but it's hella tiring using a manual spray bottle to soak leaves and if it gets on your skin it kinda burns if you don't wash it off within a minute or two. It comes in both ready to use spray bottle and concentrate form. I think it was like $15 for both.

G

grinkeeper

when I am using soiless grows I usually have these little buggers flying and running across the soil.. thankfully there not that dangerous to adult plants but can ruin clones and seedilings..

I have used Diatomaceous Earth.. I buy it at a local garden supply center for $2 per 2.5lb...

what is it...well here is a wiki ..
Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, mild abrasive, mechanical insecticide,[2] absorbent for liquids, cat litter, activator in blood clotting studies, and a stabilizing component of dynamite. As it is also heat-resistant, it can be used as a thermal insulator.

it looks like salt, pure white... and I top layer it about 2" deep... then I bottom feed for 2 weeks,,

the best past is DIA earth has high levels of silicate and is great for the roots.. also kills thrips in the growth cycle....

I have also use SM90 in a strong mix of 6:1 in a spray bottle for adults..

also yellow sticky strips... these are great to jusdge the adult numbers and see your progress..

nematodes do wonders as well but are rather pricey.... and not easy to get the right strain.. I believe its the israli strain thats most effective...

I also add SM90 into the water and it helps interup the cycle of life as well...

I have heard DUTCH MASTERs "ZONE" is effective aslo....

as for GNATOL I have not tryd it my self as other methods seem to work for me....

I do agree that these are a real pain in the ass.... but pray for these versus any other pests.. example.. THE BORG.. Spider mites...or thrips/// These are the real problems....

oh yeah... Gnats are also a sign of over watering... so cut back on your water cycles....

best of luck....

this thread has given you loads of options...

Latest posts

Top Bottom