Fungus gnat problem

• Thread starter Naturalx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I’m honestly just worried about my seedlings because this is my last grow before our baby arrives, I am kind of rushed.

I’m just worried these gnats are eating some of my seedlings one died two are thriving, and I just dropped two more. I did plant a sprouted seed and it disappeared lol. So I’m sure it’s all counter productive and I’ll just need to dump it all. But I’d rather not.

I bought some nematodes and hung more sticky traps but here’s some photos. It’s like I get rid of the adults the larva hatch rinse repeat lol

The one seedling has completely stopped growing.

I had sticky cards like that for almost a year, bastards drove me nuts. It never negatively impacted the crop other than being a pain in the ass picking gnats off the buds. Some good advice here on how to deal with them.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I had sticky cards like that for almost a year, bastards drove me nuts. It never negatively impacted the crop other than being a pain in the ass picking gnats off the buds. Some good advice here on how to deal with them.

Yeah I had some of my best harvests ever during the gnat invasion last 6 months. Even in the originally infected soil had great results.

But they sure could vector disease.

Shawncan75

Shawncan75

I could just dump it all and start over but then I’m out the seeds etc. Which I don’t want to get rid of lol. Ugh. I’ll do the peroxide. It won’t affevt seedlings or the nutrients?
I also had to go the Peroxide route this morning and I’ve only seen a couple since. 1 part Peroxide 4 parts water and it bubbles the larvae slime. Plants look fine considering I poured 5 cups of solution on them.

Naturalx

Naturalx

How long after the peroxide bath should I wait before putting my nematodes in? They came in the mail today but I don’t want the peroxide to kill them....

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

How long after the peroxide bath should I wait before putting my nematodes in? They came in the mail today but I don’t want the peroxide to kill them....

I dont know but if the nematodes will keep i would get rid of the infestation first and then add them later.

The perixide is done killing when the bubbling stops.

Naturalx

Naturalx

I dont know but if the nematodes will keep i would get rid of the infestation first and then add them later.

The perixide is done killing when the bubbling stops.
I could hear the bubbling but not see it like a wound. I do have these battle like looking things as well. Maybe that’s a stage of the fungus gnat before it ha wings. Not sure. I can’t wait to toss all of it. But I absolutely soaked em. That should be a good start.

Thanks to everyone for all the responses I’ll update on how this pans out.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I could hear the bubbling but not see it like a wound. I do have these battle like looking things as well. Maybe that’s a stage of the fungus gnat before it ha wings. Not sure. I can’t wait to toss all of it. But I absolutely soaked em. That should be a good start.

Thanks to everyone for all the responses I’ll update on how this pans out.

I dont know what battle looking things are?

Fungus gnats are eggs. Then white squiggly larvae with a translucent dark head then a gnat adult flier.

You should look this stuff up so you can identify it yourself. Because it sounds like you have more than 1 bug going on now.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeesh... sound like you're describing root aphids . Google it and see if that's what youre seeing.

Naturalx

Naturalx

Yeesh... sound like you're describing root aphids . Google it and see if that's what youre seeing.
Actually they look more like thrips. The pictures I was seeing of thrips at first were very clear but these are darker.

Shawncan75

Shawncan75

Actually they look more like thrips. The pictures I was seeing of thrips at first were very clear but these are darker.
Hey Naturalx I looked at my tent before lights went out & I still have quite a few gnats flying around. I’m gonna get some diamatros earth this afternoon & put a thick layer on top of pots. So I’d say wait & see how yours look today. Although it’s up to you. I wish you luck man. Ive never had this problem & wouldn’t wish it upon anyone. Well maybe a few. Lol

Naturalx

Naturalx

Hey Naturalx I looked at my tent before lights went out & I still have quite a few gnats flying around. I’m gonna get some diamatros earth this afternoon & put a thick layer on top of pots. So I’d say wait & see how yours look today. Although it’s up to you. I wish you luck man. Ive never had this problem & wouldn’t wish it upon anyone. Well maybe a few. Lol
Don’t breathe that shit in it may be good grade but it absolutely destroys your lungs lol.

hps4891

hps4891

I use this at a ratio of .5 or 1 TB per liter of water. Usually .5TB is enough. Absolutely no fungus gnats, no PM or any fungus issues ever neither since using this. Ive always used Dipel powder (bacillus thuringiensis), which is great too but doesn't work on bugs much at all just fungus. And this aint as messy. Its like $12 at Lowe's and 1 bottle will probably mix up 40-50 liters total. This stuff usually dont kill bugs immediately but it does stop their eating mechanism, like they cant digest food anymore & they basically starve 2 death. And its organic so 👍
IMG 20190925 164910 01

Naturalx

Naturalx

I don’t know what these bugs are but if I drop seeds the roots just get destroyed and nothing sprouts.

But I finally got a picture of the other little fucking bastards causing me all this grief lol. Any idea what these are?

CE6E4BEF A0A4 41DB B090 8A24F69F0F2B
Naturalx

Naturalx

They don’t actually stick to the sticky pads which is why I thought I was only dealing with gnats. That sucker walked right off.

hps4891

hps4891

I don’t know what these bugs are but if I drop seeds the roots just get destroyed and nothing sprouts.

But I finally got a picture of the other little fucking bastards causing me all this grief lol. Any idea what these are?
@Naturalx Ive had a few of those exact buggers try me in the past & the neem mixture I posted about earlier worked wonders on them too. Not sure what exactly they are though? Also I top dress with the same mixture inna spray bottle every 2 or 3 days as a preventative measure.

B

Burned Haze

Rotate and battle : drench every 2-3 days

if you aren’t willing to get a product, every product was a reason or a % to win the battle during your rotation . Remember even if you win you are still re-applying it for IPM ( I would) or wait till any signs

#1 h2o2 : 4 to 1 of 3% h202 ( or get higher concentration h2o2 and do the math yourself, you get it)
# 2 azaguard( better brand than azamax, 2x stronger ) = major benefit to this pesticide is the Insect Growth Regulator/makes em zombies and the oil they don’t like to walk on over 300 pests
# 3 conserve sc /captain jacks good for thrips and fungus gnats ( even thou fungus gnats aren’t listed, it does mess with em) the spinosad does work enough it’s worth talking about.
# 4 rootscleaner is anther suggestion since that’s a instant/quick killer to soft bodied

+

* Whole time yellow add traps ( I would buy Tanglefoot 0461612 Tree Insect Barrier, 8 oz Sticky Trap (New), https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XLV8T3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_QZNIDbW5V460B
tree sticky and then get bright yellow paper = huge traps that are 10x cheaper just make sure to wear gloves cause that stuff is toxic!)
+
* Microbes lift ( I do way higher than stated since company said more the better and you won’t hurt anything , so I do .25-.5ml )

+
To help us identify know what insects your fighting: give us a more close up of the insect, multiples ( as close as the camera can get without blurryiness ) fungus gnats or root aphids look really similar and hopefully you have fungus gnats cause root aphids are hell....

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom