fungus gnats and Diatomaceous earth

• Thread starter d420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Monkey

Yeah, I was just having trouble finding it locally. I would prefer not to use it if there was a safer alternative, so I would probably try perlite instead.

I quit using perlite when I found this out!
Check out the MSDS data sheet..

Here is a perlite Toxicology: Inhaling crystalline silica-containing dust can aggravate upper respiratory conditions such as asthma or emphysema. Long term exposure to mineral dust which contains crystalline silica can cause the lung disease silicosis.

A recent review by the International Agency for Research into Cancer of public literature on the carcinogenic risk of silica and silicates has concluded that there is limited evidence for the carcinogenicity of crystalline silica to humans'.

http://www.pennperlite.com/msds.html

Caution and Warning: Keep Out of Reach of Children. Do Not Take Internally. Dust created while pouring into paint may cause eye, nose, throat or upper respiratory irritation. Long term breathing of large amounts of mica or talc may cause lung disease. This product contains small amounts of naturally occurring Crystalline Silica that has been identified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer as a Carcinogen. Emergency Product Safety Information: 800-821-7352

This product may contain crystalline silica (less than 0. 1% - see section II). OSHA considers Perlite a nuisance dust and recommends a PEL of 5 mg/m3 TWA respirable dust. Inhalation over long periods of high amounts of any nuisance dust may overload lung clearance mechanism and make the lungs more vulnerable to respiratory disease.

Inhaling over long periods of high amounts of any nuisance dust may overload lung clearance mechanism and make lungs more vulnerable to respiratory disease.

Medical conditions which may be aggravated: Pre-existing upper respiratory and lung disease such as, but not limited to bronchitis emphysema and asthma.
Target Organs): Lungs
Acute Health Effects: None known
Primary Entry Route: Inhalation

Monkey:animal0057:

D

darookie2000

I quit using perlite when I found this out!
Check out the MSDS data sheet..

Here is a perlite Toxicology: Inhaling crystalline silica-containing dust can aggravate upper respiratory conditions such as asthma or emphysema. Long term exposure to mineral dust which contains crystalline silica can cause the lung disease silicosis.

A recent review by the International Agency for Research into Cancer of public literature on the carcinogenic risk of silica and silicates has concluded that there is limited evidence for the carcinogenicity of crystalline silica to humans'.

http://www.pennperlite.com/msds.html

Caution and Warning: Keep Out of Reach of Children. Do Not Take Internally. Dust created while pouring into paint may cause eye, nose, throat or upper respiratory irritation. Long term breathing of large amounts of mica or talc may cause lung disease. This product contains small amounts of naturally occurring Crystalline Silica that has been identified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer as a Carcinogen. Emergency Product Safety Information: 800-821-7352

This product may contain crystalline silica (less than 0. 1% - see section II). OSHA considers Perlite a nuisance dust and recommends a PEL of 5 mg/m3 TWA respirable dust. Inhalation over long periods of high amounts of any nuisance dust may overload lung clearance mechanism and make the lungs more vulnerable to respiratory disease.

Inhaling over long periods of high amounts of any nuisance dust may overload lung clearance mechanism and make lungs more vulnerable to respiratory disease.

Medical conditions which may be aggravated: Pre-existing upper respiratory and lung disease such as, but not limited to bronchitis emphysema and asthma.
Target Organs): Lungs
Acute Health Effects: None known
Primary Entry Route: Inhalation

Monkey:animal0057:

I always wear a respirator and eye protection when pouring perlite. I guess I should be wetting it down first. I haven't bought perlite in a long time, it comes in the mixes I've been using. Now I guess my gut feelings about perlite were correct :) Thanks for the link!

S

supasticky

".....Natural diatomaceous earth (DE for short) is the remains of microscopic one-celled plants (phytoplankton) called diatoms that lived in the oceans that once covered the western part of the United States and other parts of the world. Huge deposits were left behind when the water receded. They are now mined and have several important uses in toothpaste, beer filtering, and swimming pool filters. DE is approximately 3% magnesium, 86% silicon, 5% sodium, 2% iron and many other trace minerals such as titanium, boron, manganese, copper and zirconium. Natural DE also makes a very effective natural insecticide. The insecticidal quality of DE is due to the razor sharp edges of the diatom remains. When DE comes contact with the insects, the sharp edges lacerate the bugs' waxy exoskeleton and then the powdery DE absorbs the body fluids causing death from dehydration. Said more simply, DE kills insects by drying then up. You'll see how drying DE is if you handle it with bare hands. There is no residual danger of contamination. In fact, DE is actually beneficial to the soil. It's loaded with trace minerals. However, there are a few precautions. Diatomaceous earth is very dusty and can cause lung problems if breathed heavily, so when applying it dry always wear a good dust mask or stand up wind. The second precaution is that DE sold for swimming pool filters is ineffective for insect control because it has been heated and chemically treated. It won't kill insects and it is very dangerous to breathe. Finally natural DE will kill beneficial insects too, so use it sparingly to kill problem infestations of harmful insects and don't use it too often.

Diatomaceous earth can be applied in a variety of ways. to use for flea and tick control, apply a light dusting over the lawn, in dog runs, around pet bedding or favorite resting spots and sprinkle a little on your pet between baths of a mild herbal soap..........

Is DE registered by the EPA and labeled for insect control?

Yes! Some people would have you believe that DE is untested, unlabeled and therefore unsafe for use. That's just one of the feeble arguments left to the organiphobes. DE has been used for years in the food processing industry to treat stored gains to eliminate weevil and other insect infestations. There are currently dozen of registrations of DE with the EPA for various insecticidal and food supplement uses. DE, with and without pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide, is registered and labeled for fleas, ants, roaches and many other pests......"

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/

But you must use FOOD GRADE DE not the pool stuff!

yah. what he said. basically the DE is sharp and cuts up the bottoms of the insects as they try to crawl through it and kills them.

M

madcease

What is best product to use to treat all these black eggs on hydro rockwool?

J

Jalisco Kid

So let me see,this stuff cuts up the hard exoskeleton of the insect, I agree. What the hell do you think it will do to nice tender lungs? And you want to go around telling people to use it? Do what you want to yourself but please stop telling people(not just you) to use something this bad. Myths needs to be killed, not growers. JK

D

darookie2000

So let me see,this stuff cuts up the hard exoskeleton of the insect, I agree. What the hell do you think it will do to nice tender lungs? And you want to go around telling people to use it? Do what you want to yourself but please stop telling people(not just you) to use something this bad. Myths needs to be killed, not growers. JK

Heh, yeah, every time I talk to someone about DE, the term "nasty stuff" comes up. I think there are safe ways to use it (as a barrier to crawling insects outside the house if you don't have pets), but I wouldn't keep it indoor.

S

supasticky

Well, you're right. If someone were not smart enough to use the basic safety requirements while handling any kind of raw material, then yes their lungs may get damaged over a long period of time.

So everyone, wear a mask.

-Supa

B

BamBamEh

you dont spray or inhale other insecticides so what makes this any different. Diatomaceous earth is actually a lot safer than most insecticides and it contains 14 micronutrients/ trace elements that plants need in a chelated form.
read the directions.
follow them.
no problems....

furthermore.. its the crytalline silica that forms when the DE is heated to extreme temperatures and thats the stuff thats bad for people. food grade DE has to keep its CS below a certain %. i feel the stuff is pretty safe especially when cultivated in with the soil.

K

Kennie_B

Check out Fox Farms' Don't Bug Me bug spray, you can find it on ebay & a bunch of other sites.

J

Jalisco Kid

Insecticides dry out and stick. DE is a lite powder,if you have fans its in the air. You breathe that day in day out. If you are a 1 crop charlie then fine use it, if you plan on being a grower don't. JK

R

robbiedublu

Insecticides dry out and stick. DE is a lite powder,if you have fans its in the air. You breathe that day in day out. If you are a 1 crop charlie then fine use it, if you plan on being a grower don't. JK

DE is just a huge pain in the ass. It's like talcum powder and will fly everywhere. It never worked very well for me. Get predator gnats.

homebrew420

homebrew420

I wouldn't bother with DE. I have solved a major gnat infestation with BT. it is the most effective means of getting rid of them. Period. I used the perlite thing first, and it helped. Seemed to slow their repoduction down, a little. but BT, Bacillus thurigensis(?) will kill all the larvae. here is some more info.

Please Note: BT v. israelensis is not suitable for outdoor gnat control unless you can locate a very specific and small area where the gnats are breeding.

Pesky fungus gnats driving you crazy?

Get Bacillus thuringiensis v. israelensis (BT's) that specifically controls the larva of fungus gnats and helps break the reproductive cycle to get rid of them!

What is Bacillus thuringiensis?

BT's are a biological pesticide that contain naturally occurring bacteria in different strains that target specific insects. BT's are not known to be toxic to animals, birds, humans, fish or beneficial insects. They do not persist in or contaminate the environment in any way. BT v. israelensis is required to have EPA warning and caution labels as is the requirement by law for ANY registered pesticide- whether they are considered acceptable for organic use, environmentally friendly or not.

How does BT v. israelensis work?

It is not effective against the adult fungus gnat. The gnats (which live for 7 days) lay their eggs in healthy soils and it takes the eggs approximately 4 days to reach the larval stage. It is the larva that causes damage via feeding on plant roots causing wilting and death. The larva eat the BT v. israelensis becoming infected with the bacteria and die! It may take 3 weekly applications to effectively control oncoming generations of gnats.

It is quite common to get new plants that have fungus gnat larva in the soil. New potting soil may often contain the larva. BT v. israelensis is the safe answer for these situations. We also recommend using yellow or blue colored sticky traps as a monitor to let you know when infestations are starting and as a trap to catch the adults. Some say blue traps work better but the yellow traps work equally well in our experience. Laying the sticky traps in a horizontal position across the container rim will catch a lot more adults as they are more prone to land on a flat surface. You can also set out a jar of wine or cider vinegar to use as an indicator and trap as the gnats will be attracted to the smell, dive in for a drink and drown.

BT v. israelensis can be used in greenhouses, homes or outside. May be used on all food crops, houseplants, seedlings; wherever you have a problem with fungus gnats!

Kept in a cool place BT v. israelensis will last for quite some time! However it cannot be allowed to freeze.

S

seamus

I know its late in the thread but i went wiyh the perlite on top and only water underneath as a part in controling gnats,defo effective when used with sprays/oils etc.I would strongly recommend some kind of breathing protection,like the original thread said-Its NASTY shit

tokinblackguy

tokinblackguy

I wouldn't bother with DE. I have solved a major gnat infestation with BT. it is the most effective means of getting rid of them. Period. I used the perlite thing first, and it helped. Seemed to slow their repoduction down, a little. but BT, Bacillus thurigensis(?) will kill all the larvae. here is some more info.

Please Note: BT v. israelensis is not suitable for outdoor gnat control unless you can locate a very specific and small area where the gnats are breeding.

Pesky fungus gnats driving you crazy?

Get Bacillus thuringiensis v. israelensis (BT's) that specifically controls the larva of fungus gnats and helps break the reproductive cycle to get rid of them!

What is Bacillus thuringiensis?

BT's are a biological pesticide that contain naturally occurring bacteria in different strains that target specific insects. BT's are not known to be toxic to animals, birds, humans, fish or beneficial insects. They do not persist in or contaminate the environment in any way. BT v. israelensis is required to have EPA warning and caution labels as is the requirement by law for ANY registered pesticide- whether they are considered acceptable for organic use, environmentally friendly or not.

this is good advice that i just recently discovered to be a very good weapon against fungus gnats. i came across something similar at another site and while i didn't have a chance to test their method, the one i did use is similar and worked quite well.

the thread suggested mosquito dunks broken up and placed around the top of your soil and watered in as you would normally. the main active ingredient in mosquito dunks is Bacillus thuringiensis, a bacteria normally found in healthy soils, just more concentrated and used as an insecticide. the poster swears by this method.

recently i had a startup infestation of fungus gnats and didn't get the chance to pick up any dunks to try the above method. a few days before, i had began using a new product called "Oregonism XL" by Roots Organics. it's a mycho/endo/ecto/tricho blend that i was trying out to basically help my soil mix. then a funny thing happened the other day, i started seeing less fungus gnats, up to the point that i didn't see any at all. i had no idea of why they had just disappeared, but then i got to thinking about Bacillus thuringiensis and did some research. that's how i found out it was a bacteria, a beneficial one at that. then i read the ingredients on the pack of Oregonism XL, and guess what's in it??? that's right, Bacillus thuringiensis... along with a host of other beneficial bacteria.

so, why i was just trying to improve my soil, i ended up killing 2 birds with one stone. i would highly recommend the mosquito dunks or some form of benefial bacteria innoculent to control fungus gnats infestations.:cool0041:

archaicatoms

archaicatoms

BT-I helps, but letting your medium get really dry before re-watering is the trick in soil. Then, when you do water, use the BT-I granules to top dress. If you're hydro,then I would float the granules in the res. and make sure there is no algae growing(cover up that medium)IMHO. DE has been known to kill beneficials as well, like earth worms.

archaicatoms

archaicatoms

In hydro, just make sure you don't clog anything up with the BT-I granules. Use filters(think tea) and/or large fittings. Or even top dress if you can with the granules.

P

PRODUCT

I'm infested. best I can make out of them is that they look like white worms. I think they are aphids or gnats???

i was looking into DE.. which is how i stumbled in here. maybe i won''t use it after all

SupraSPL

SupraSPL

You can get un-powdered un-heated DE from NAPA. It is sold in 25 pound bags as part #8822 for about $9. Make sure it says Diatomaceous Earth directly on the back of the bag. It can be used as an (excellent) soil amendment instead of or in addition to perlite/vermiculite/clay. It hold a ton of water/nutrients and also air. It also works very well as a drainage layer to spread underneath planters to stop them from reabsorbing runoff and to speed evaporation of the runoff. It doubles as an insect barrier once it dries.

It is worth repeating that the type of DE used for pool filters has been heated and it is dangerous to breath the dust. Regular DE is also dusty so mix your soil outdoors and either stand downwind or wear a respirator.

Peat/DE soil mix will not harm the expensive little predator soil mites Hypoaspis Miles that hunt fungus gnat larvae. Using DE as a soil amendment will not stop FG larvae. Using it on the soil surface however may help, especially while the DE is dry.

Supposedly you can use 100% neem oil as a soil soak and it will kill the FG larvae but is compatible with the hyposaspis soil mites.

2570595470101670464S425x425Q85.jpg

N

nughit

For fungus gnats I spray the top of the soil or hydro medium with neem oil every 2 days for 2 weeks. I use gnatrol with every watering during those 2 weeks and bamn no more gnats.

J

Jalisco Kid

Nughit why do you gak up your medium with neem when you are already using gnatrol? JK

Latest posts

Top Bottom