Fungus Gnats / Cedar Oil

• Thread starter ShorelineTex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

ShorelineTex

I've heard really good things about GoGnats from some growers using coir/organic soil. I read that it's just cedar oil concentrate.

I've heard of outdoor growers using cedar wood chips around their grow sites () with promising results...has anyone here added cedar chips to their organic soil mixes indoors before? Did it reduce the amount of fungus gnats?

My only concern would be the plants picking up some of the cedar flavor which might be toxic, or at the very least taste weird...any thoughts/experience with this?

ShivaSkunkPunk

ShivaSkunkPunk

good info bro, I will keep this in mind when the summer rolls around and they rear their ugly faces, I have found that really letting the soil dry to a depth of 1-2" between waterings is ideal for keeping them out, I really wish I woulda snapped a shot of how dry the soil was prior to watering

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
GoGnats is more then just Cedar oil. I can say first hand it does a great job in controlling gnats. Dynarok's on the top layer do just as good and they are reusable.

As far as taste is concerned I don't think it will affect it. I have run that stuff all the way to flush with no taste knocked off the final product.

S

ShorelineTex

GoGnats is more then just Cedar oil. I can say first hand it does a great job in controlling gnats. Dynarok's on the top layer do just as good and they are reusable.

As far as taste is concerned I don't think it will affect it. I have run that stuff all the way to flush with no taste knocked off the final product.

Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on adding cedar chips to organic soil mixes?

K

kushpheen

I remember burning the hell out of my plants with the gognats along with the benef's. Ive found nematodes are the best way to tackle gnats. A layer of lava rocks over the soil will also make it harder for these guys to settle in. Azatrol can also be used to tackle the gnats, though I'm not sure how much if any harm they cause the benef's in your soil.

S

splakow

i have a gnat problem everyday im spraying neem and organacide to get rid of them but next morning more to replace the ones i killed. i need something that kills larvae

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

In order to get the larvae in the soil try, using a Bti(Bacillus thuringienis israelensis) like a mosquito dunk or gnatrol. You can use diluted neem oil to drench your soil. Like another person already said you can use diatomaceous earth mixed into the top of your soil and on top of your soil. Go Gnats is a cedar based oil, meant to smother the bugs and choke and drowned them. The guar gum in it acts like cornstarch and thickens the oil, the lecithin and two other surfecants help smoothly cover and stick to the leaf and bugs, and the cedar oil repels other bugs.

-Otto

old.Ford

old.Ford

splakow, I had them bad! The first time it was just a few flyers. Then I let my soil sit on the back porch and my next grow they got thick and the ends of the leaves were turning brown and crispy. I used gnatrol, within 2 days the flyers disappeared, and by the week after the browning stopped. I used it by the directions and after a day or two flushed my soil lightly , not a flood . It worked! Some of the yield was lost but the plants were saved and no taste or smell. old.Ford

S

splakow

thx guys
oldford the flush wit gognat sounds good, but i dont waan fuk wit my yield . im in week 4 of bloom

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

Im not sure you can use Gognats as a soil drench. Ive never personally done it myself though. Old.Ford said he used gnatrol which is a different product, its actually a bacteria that kills larvae. Mosquito dunks also contain this bacteria and work great, you can pick a pack up for like 5 bux. They can take a week or so to really start working unless its really bad and then it can take awhile. Its nice to hit em preventively ahead of time so ya dont have to worry bout it.

-Otto

S

ShorelineTex

Omg...can't believe this didn't hit me before...ok, so this is probably why the burmese kush is getting all dry and crinkly. pH was fine, nutes were reduced & flushed at first signs of "burn", but still dry and crinkly. I bet the damned gnats have been chewing the roots, and BK just doesn't grow as fast as a lot of other strains, so I bet the root growth couldn't keep up with the larva bites. I can't wait to see if this resolves the issues.

Let's see how the little bastards like a good dousing in neem oil and diatomaceous earth.

Any more suggestions how much to dilute the neem oil (is it even water soluble??) for a soil drench or how/where to apply the diatom. earth would be appreciated!!

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

dilute your neem with room temp water and a surfectant like Foliar Friend or SM-90. A drop of biodegradable dish soap works also. You must use a spreader/sticker with neem, or you'll only get partial coverage, imo. Good Luck!

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

When i drench with neem i use between 1-2 tbps per gallon. For an added boost you can add in Bti, ive had pretty killer results adding in zero tolerance(pesticide) on top of both of those. Try at your own risk though, it works for me first time but might not for you. You should mix the diatomaceous earth into the top layer of your soil, then cover the soil with an additional layer.

-Otto

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Perlite, Gravel, Dynaroks, Sand, and any other top dressing will get rid of your gnats. DE (powder) will work but make sure to wear a dust mask and eye protection because that stuff is real nasty if you inhale it.

Gognats works fine as a soil drench. I ran it on the tables religiously when using coco in the summer when the room was being vented. Real hot plus dogs equals bugs. No way around it.

If plants in veg I would say take cuts, dip them and start over. In flower any of the above works. Cedar oil will not affect you plants but I wouldn't run it in the last 3 weeks. Also make sure to spray the plants. Best advice is be proactive. Also Putting panda over the top of the pots will kill them eventually.

S

splakow

nice thread guys all good sound advice. today i removed bout a inch of top soil from each pot, and sprayed that under layer wit neem and organacide. I will look into top dressing wit perlite when the ladies wake up.

Thx fellow farmers

S

ShorelineTex

Alright...those bitch ass fungus gnats are going to get a mouthful of mosquito dunk. After a bit more research, I'm pretty convinced that the bacteria they use is fairly specific to certain insects, and it looks like others have had luck.

I hope 1/3rd of a dunk tablet in 4 gallons of water isn't too much...

I'm going to put a little solo cup out with some nice, stinky blood/bone meal, and dust the cup with diatomaceous earth as well for the adult gnats. Sure, I've got sticky traps, but F that...I want to see those little bitches suffer.

S

ShorelineTex

Btw...thank you all very much for the info :) :) :) :smiley_joint:

S

splakow

yea fuk them up show no mercy. make set an example for their friends

S

SUPERBABY

Look into diamataceous earth..organinc..harmless..kills larvae and adults cuz it cuts em to shreds...

that's the way to go if you grow in dirt:)

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Alright...those bitch ass fungus gnats are going to get a mouthful of mosquito dunk. After a bit more research, I'm pretty convinced that the bacteria they use is fairly specific to certain insects, and it looks like others have had luck.

I hope 1/3rd of a dunk tablet in 4 gallons of water isn't too much...

I'm going to put a little solo cup out with some nice, stinky blood/bone meal, and dust the cup with diatomaceous earth as well for the adult gnats. Sure, I've got sticky traps, but F that...I want to see those little bitches suffer.

Kick their ass, Shoreline! Dont' worry about genocide; they can live anywhere they want but not in our gardens!! lol...

Top Bottom