Fungus gnats in seedling cups! Help!

• Thread starter Kief Stoned
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I've washed off the old dirt of the roots b4.. I fill up a bucket of water & dunk the plants roots in & wash off the dirt it works great when he plants r small in cups..
This is how I kill everything in the soil I buy this at home Depot it's prolly $9-$11 i mix 3 TBS per gallon of water & juss water the plant with the poison mix juss like when u water the plant.. U can try 1 TBS or 2 TBS 1st if ur scared but I mix it at 3 TBS & the plants r not affected at all..I do this poison mix 4 a few days.. Everything will die in the soil even the Bennies so about a week after the last poison mix I give my plants some Great White..
Here is the poisonhttp://i1118.invalid.com/albums/k620/MakinGoo/21a5987f.jpg

K

Kief Stoned

I've washed off the old dirt of the roots b4.. I fill up a bucket of water & dunk the plants roots in & wash off the dirt it works great when he plants r small in cups..

Thanks! Thats great to hear. Mine are in still in solo cups and onyl a week old so this method wont be as intrusive as it would be if they were in larger containers and more mature with more roots. I tried one ande put it back in the same soil jsut from a diff bag just to see how difficult it would be to get the roots seperated from the soil and there are almost no roots yet except for the single long one coming from the seedling and a few coming off of it. The soil came away from the seedling and roots failry easy so I was hoping my method posted on the last page would work if I were to transplant into Fox Farms soil. I will definately not put the plants back in the same area ( had them in a closet for the time being ). I will jsut go ahead and put up my tent. I didnt really want to yet since they were so small but I will jsut to be on the safe side this time. I dont really want to use any chemicals after I transplant them into the happy frog soil as I dont want to kill the bennies in it. But I will if I see any gnats starting in it. I am also going to get some sand and put in the top of my pots. Will the sand cause any issues with the soil staying wet too long since it cant "breathe" as it would without the sand on the top? Or will the sand not impare the soil?

Dz1PnK

Dz1PnK

youre stressing too hard. fungus gnats are easier than everything else. just get u some gnatrol, go gnats, or a mosquito dunk. you mix it in with your nutes & just water like normal. ive seen em dissappear with as little as one application. even works @ begining of flower, just give it at least a month to flush out before pulling. ive used it on week old seedlings before, just mixed it a lil lighter. if youre big enough to be topping em id say go full strength for a few waterings, throwing plants out is just crazy for gnats. itll take fungus gnat larva months to kill a plant if at all. but they live and breed where fungus grows so the possibility of spreading disease increases and theyre stupid so they fly into resin glands on flowers n get stuck n die. then they sparkle when smoked

neem doesnt kill shit. its a reproductive deterant, use it when youh dont already have a problem.

try spending $15 before you go tearing your whole grow down. go to ANY hydro store and ask for a drench or dunk for gnats...

sticky tape if you want a visual(sticky tape doesnt get rid of em, it just shows you if theyre there)

K

Kief Stoned

Thanks that definately eases my frustration alot. Im still going to transplant the seedlings into some happy frog soil and take this shit soil back. Ill get some mos. dunks also or gnatrol in case they return in the new soil. I only threw 2 away but my luck they wrere the best 2 out of the lot lol. I jsut freak out whenever I see any bugs in my grow. Ive seen what they can do to a crop. BTW, should I add some hydrogen peroxide to a bucket of water and dip them into it when I transplant before placing into the new soil to help stop the spread of fungus? Ive noticed a powdery white residue ( not a webbing or mossy type but a powdery type ) on the top layer ( mostly on the bard pieces) of the shit soil in the cups there in right now after the soil dried a bit... Could that be fungus? I assume it is huh?

Dz1PnK

Dz1PnK

on the top layer ( mostly on the bard pieces) of the shit soil in the cups there in right now after the soil dried a bit... Could that be fungus? I assume it is huh?

sounds like salt to me maybe algae, watcha feedin em? pm would most likely show up on the plant first

K

Kief Stoned

im not feeding them anything. there less than a week old. ive only watered them 3 times

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
BTW, the brand of soil is CLICK HERE .

I just wanted to post that so as to make sure no one buys it and goes through what im going through.

Any comments on my previous post?

not the producers falt..........its the hydro stores they know not to keep any medium outside yoou can put 10 bags over it... life will find a way

FUNGUS GNATS ARE NOT A DANGER TO YOUR PLANTS .......earth to kief lol unless you have to swat a swarm of them out of your way ....jk

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks that definately eases my frustration alot. Im still going to transplant the seedlings into some happy frog soil and take this shit soil back. Ill get some mos. dunks also or gnatrol in case they return in the new soil. I only threw 2 away but my luck they wrere the best 2 out of the lot lol. I jsut freak out whenever I see any bugs in my grow. Ive seen what they can do to a crop. BTW, should I add some hydrogen peroxide to a bucket of water and dip them into it when I transplant before placing into the new soil to help stop the spread of fungus? Ive noticed a powdery white residue ( not a webbing or mossy type but a powdery type ) on the top layer ( mostly on the bard pieces) of the shit soil in the cups there in right now after the soil dried a bit... Could that be fungus? I assume it is huh?

fungus is all through your soil brother if you look at the drain holes in your pots the FNs come and go their too ......and actually H202 and fungu gnat larva do the same things eat dead root matter the adults eat fungus

K

Kief Stoned

not the producers falt..........its the hydro stores they know not to keep any medium outside yoou can put 10 bags over it... life will find a way

Thts so true. They have them stacked outside under a carport type building.. Along with dozens of other brands of soil...But who knows where they came from really. And I feel like anything crawling around in my soil eating my roots cant be good. And there are ALOT of them in the soil. Just in a small solo cup if I take my finger and rake to top of the soil I will see 4-6 of them crawling/jumping/flying around. I will feel alot better, and be able to sleep better knowing that I put them into diff soil.

K

Kief Stoned

fungus is all through your soil brother if you look at the drain holes in your pots the FNs come and go their too ......and actually H202 and fungu gnat larva do the same things eat dead root matter the adults eat fungus

Good to know. thanks

Dz1PnK

Dz1PnK

i meant as far as salts in the dirt, it sounds like theres alot of stuff in it.

fungus gnats are everywhere. from the mountains to the desert to the beach. even in your own back yard

K

Kief Stoned

Got my new soil ( FFHF ) and will be transplanting ( by removing seedlings entirely from the old soil and washing roots off before placing into new soil ) tomorrow. Mixed my soil tonight and am letting it set overnight. Anyone else add Espoma garden lime ( I grind mine up in an old blender to make it finer. It comes granualized ) to FF soils to act as a ph buffer etc? I used to have issues at about 5 weeks of flower when using straight FFOF or FFHF such as out of whack PH and weird spots on leaves etc but since ive been adding the lime to the soil before planting I havent had any more issues like that ( knock on wood ).

Donnybrook

Donnybrook

Well here's a Tried & True 99 Cent cure ,

Get some 99% Isopropyl Alcohol from Wally-World , Grocery Store , Drug Store & Mix up Approx 2- 3 Oz's to 8 - 10 Oz's of water in a Mister Spray Bottle & shake that fecker up & Spray-O-Way the soil surface with a nice full generous misting , Pay special attention to any voids between soil & pot sides as those little feckers will hide & breed in there .

2 misting applications for 2 days & them feckin little critters are like Drunken Sailors done & dusted . Make sure ya mark the Extra spray bottle ISO/H20 so ya have it when needed for a quick spray of of yer trimming scissors or walls & floors . Nice quick disinfectant & mold/mildew killer for those hard to reach corner areas .

Works like a feckin champ , Good Luck ,,,

Top Bottom