Fungus gnats late in flower

• Thread starter ronvmpc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ronvmpc

ronvmpc

Sup guys. It's what's the title says. I'm having problems with these suckers at week 5 in flower and I'm too afraid to treat as I don't wanna pump nasty chemicals in my plants this late. Any suggestions. And sorry but I couldn't find any threads on this.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ron, any product with Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis. Mosquito dunks, Microbelift (gotta get myself somma dat lift!), and Gnatrol are all effective.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have peppermint, but not cedar wood oil. I DO, however, have a wormwood bush growing here at home. Everything I've read says to be very careful making any kind of extract with wormwood, though. I love the way it smells.

e4ian

e4ian

I've had gnats since June 2010 Know I'll be rid of them soon (via active system.Very effective "in halting there cycle" I found [via nft]). But have spent hundreds in controlling them!
Natural predators called hemathodes (sure) would be the most effective but this time I've put loads of sticky fly traps around and am more successful in anihilating them than ever.
I was given an infested much desired plant btw.
Cya. E

(I've always applied "gnat off"right up to flushing bruv.But might be an idea not to..?)
Costly stuff tho!adds up! Heard gnatrol is cool but sure cant get that here (uk)

Dunge

Dunge

I brought an infestation into my basement when I moved inside last fall.
Took them a few months to build to a damaging population, but once there they were causing real trouble, especially to smaller plants.

In my experience, no one thing has been entirely effective.

What I have done to lower population to a negligible level:
Water less often.
Always include some Bti (Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis) in every watering.
Cover the soil with sand or diatomaceous earth.
Sticky traps.

The traps only act as an indicator of how successful you are being since adults only interest is in reproduction. The real fight is taking place in the soil.

At this writing I can still find adult flies if I search, but the numbers seem to be below crisis levels and falling. It has been a long fight, but the garden looks good again, and that's what counts.

Good luck and thanks to the farm for helping me get here.

ronvmpc

ronvmpc

Wow. Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking of going with a top dress of diatomaceous earth, sand and apply cedar wood oil with peppermint as I have them all at my house. Also bought some fly traps. If the problem gets out of control ill explore other methods.

squiggly

squiggly

I recommend staying away from the DE top dress. I just did this and wish I'd gone with sand--it really wicks water up nasty style, and once you water over it it becomes fairly useless until it's dry again. It also splashes all the fuck over the place.

The sand will stay put and do the same job. They are both made of the same stuff--the sand particle size is just larger.

e4ian

e4ian

My friend used sand on the surface of his pots and said it was quite effective. :)

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Yo i hate them bastards. I have been able to prevent em with a couple diff methods. Caps packs have worked wonders on the larva, probably the easiest fix. Introduced the pcks to my teas. Tried DE and had same conclusions as squiggZ. Although it does work. Another method i tried was mixing insect frass in a batch once a week. Actually i didnt do this for th gnats, but they hated it. Even used it as a top dress... Dont go to heavy....like i did... But another way i dig was cutting up a coco mat to fit my pots, kinda spendy if buying new mats but it served multi purposeZ

Shamus

Shamus

caps root n foliar tea brew? idk how fast the shipping is on it but im sure itd knock em da fuck down.. sand and sticky traps.. or an ass load of botaniguard but the shits stupid expensive.. i used like 30 mil per gal fer gnats n it wiped em out.. ive heard good things about dr brohhners (didnt spell it right) magic soap (lavender version specifically) but i believe ya hafta go one way or another.. as the essential oils might kill the bacteria as some of the oils sterilize stuff.. i would say caps, gnatrol, or the essential oil route (may affect taste though idk). the sand will work fo sho but im nto sure on the reproductive lifespan of said gnats.. i would assume only a few days maybe up to a week. itll drown em out either way. good luck

squiggly

squiggly

Fungus-Gnats.jpg

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

Spent hundreds?? Im on the same bottles of shit for like two years.

>9$ for both??

e4ian

e4ian

£17-18 gbp a bottle.Delivered !?

With the big old NFT system i use to have [thankfully] they never went above the pupa stage.

Top Bottom