• Start date
  • Tagged users None

Fungus Gnats or Root Aphids?

• FUNGUS GNATS

• ROOT APHIDS

Results are only viewable after voting.
Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Well because this happened to you and because I had that tomato plant that was infested with the Aphids earlier this year I started checking and honestly they look the same to me, which is why I made this post

While mr Kalzone could be correct that it could be both, I'm still thinking it's only fungus gnats cuz I'm not seeing any negative effect at all ..yet!?🙏🤞🙏

I just assume that every insect on earth is outside my garden waiting to destroy my babies, so I IPM like it. 😄

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I'm only seeing fungus gnats there. Root aphid fliers are quite a bit smaller than FG's, and the wings of RA's are at least 2x the body length. But yeah it makes detection of RA fliers a nightmare. Also makes my heart skip a beat everytime I catch a couple fungus gnats lol.

Also @Beachwalker, your picture of a root aphid is actually a fungus gnat. Wings are nearly equal in length to the body.
so glad you said that! I'm 99% now that it's fungus gnats!

Screenshot 20200804 175647 Chrome

And I did get the screenshot of the wrong fucking bug!🤦‍♂️ LOL (I may have been a little high) thanks for pointing that out!✌

FlowrPowr

FlowrPowr

Scout around in the soil. Fungus gnats lay maggots in the soil. Gross, but that's the best way to describe their larvae. Their wings are flat on their backs.
Root aphids give live birth. The have cornicles (tail pipes) on the back of their abdomens. Their wings are more on the sides of their bodies sticking up sideways above their backs. Their wings are a bit longer than a fungus gnat. If you are seeing the flying root aphids, scout around for the crawlers. They give live birth, and then the crawlers move to the root zone.
As far as identifying those poor twisted corpses on the sticky traps, your guess is as good as mine! LOL!
This was a lucky capture of a winged aphid giving birth.

20180131 152152
Cooler

Cooler

Does anyone know, there is a milky white liquid your could use against fungus gnats 2ml per gal, and you could put it together with regular nutrients when watering. Does anyone know what is called? It does not harm the plants at all and at the same time destroys the gnats of good. I have used it a while ago and do not remember what it’s called. Please let me know if you know what is it called???

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Does anyone know, there is a milky white liquid your could use against fungus gnats 2ml per gal, and you could put it together with regular nutrients when watering. Does anyone know what is called? It does not harm the plants at all and at the same time destroys the gnats of good. I have used it a while ago and do not remember what it’s called. Please let me know if you know what is it called???

It’s more tan colored but I used this at 4 drops per gallon with nutes or without.

the active ingredient is the same in mosquito dunks.
https://www.amazon.com/Ecological-L...ywords=microbe-lift+bmc&qid=1617601142&sr=8-4

Cooler

Cooler

It’s more tan colored but I used this at 4 drops per gallon with nutes or without.

The liquid I have used buddy is milky white, looks just like milk. Any idea what could it be?
https://www.amazon.com/Ecological-L...ywords=microbe-lift+bmc&qid=1617601142&sr=8-4

Cooler

Cooler

Does anyone know, there is a milky white liquid your could use against fungus gnats 2ml or 4 ml per gal, and you could put it together with regular nutrients when watering. Looks just like milk. Does anyone know what is called? It does not harm the plants at all and at the same time destroys the gnats for good. I have used it a while ago and do not remember what it’s called. Please let me know if you know what is it called???

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I don’t know but what I linked is the most concentrated BTi I know of.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Is it really effective? Does it kill adults and eggs?
How often do you need to water with it?

bti is a natural bacteria that kills mosquito and fungus gnat larvae but doesn’t harm plants or humans.
Says lasts 2 weeks but I used 4 drops per gallon at every watering till gnats are gone. Also use yellow sticky cards to snag fliers.

and if you have a soil grow stop watering too much. That’s usually the cause.

Top Bottom