Fungus Gnats Solutions???

• Thread starter ball23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
altimood

altimood

Wow, so no one has said it?

To the OP, if you're battling a serious infestation, if it's affecting your plants in weird ways, if they're showing weird shit you can't seem to chase down, deficiencies and stuff, then you're likely NOT dealing with fungus gnats. And if they're not fungus gnats then not a one of these solutions is going to solve the problem.

Root aphids.
Oh dear God, not root aphids! On a happier note, I have been watching my friend try the sand technique and I was so impressed with the results. It really works well. Thanks Seamaiden for the info on different types of sand as I'm about to try this technique myself.:sun

K

kushbee

Instead of using sand I have used DE (Food Grade diatomaceous earth) works great to dry up the top of the dirt, same thing sand does, and stops the eggs from being laid. Add a generous amout to top of soil, once watered it becomes gummy, just let it dry out then crumble back into powder and mix into top soil. Diatoms kill insects that come into contact with this and they cant build up a tolorance.

click80

click80

yep

I used that Microbelift at two drops per five gallons and no ill effects at all. So if anyone has the bottle for ponds that have the 5ml/2000 gallons you can use it more concentrated and it does not hurt anything, The company finally emailed me back and said it was fine but that it was no more effective in a more concentrated solution, but was very benign at even more concentrated levels. I doubt many people will find this useful but FWIW

Anyway, have not seen any of the wormys by eyesight since. I am sure the BTI is working but maybe tonite i will get my microscope out and look for any egg larvae or any sleeping wormys.

As for DE, Yeah, I gave it a big test, my flying gnats got bad for a minute and I am pretty sure the BTI does not affect the flying adults, I decided to hold onto my azamax and just used the DE and Microbelift. I have not seen a gnat in about a week now.

So yeah I was surprised at that article i found, i guess thats why i posted it, i have always heard great stuff about DE. And i think i need to reread that and see why i gave it any credence to begin with.

Definitely not a good paper.

Now i have brown jelly around my water pump and floating around in my reservoirs, all three of them...shit...always something to keep it interesting

Latest posts

Top Bottom