Fungus Gnats - Week 1 flower

• Thread starter MT_Smoke420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MT_Smoke420

MT_Smoke420

Good Afternoon Farm -

I just started flower this week and have noticed some fungus gnats. I stuck some small sticky traps in the pots and each one has caught say 3-5 gnats in the matter of a few days.

I have a fan blowing across the top layer of the soil to help dry out the soil and have been watering less frequently, sprayed 3 days straight with lost coast plant therapy (sprayed plant and some in soil).

I was thinking about doing a light soil drench (never have used IPM in the soil only foliar spray). Would you suggest mixing up a gallon of lost coast plant therapy and then watering with that?

I also just fed them today. I don't think its much of an infestation, just have been burned by pests/ mites before so just trying to get ahead of it.

Thanks in advance!

MT_Smoke420

MT_Smoke420

Bump and also another question, If I'm only a week into flower would an Azamax soil drench effect my plants negatively?

How about soil drenches with any product throughout flower? Just more curious at this point.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Get a product with Bacillus thuringiensis (israelensis) in it. The stuff is often sold to control mosquitoes. Anyway, it works on fungus gnats, too. It won't hurt soil microbes or plants.

Beneficial nematodes also work well, especially for the low population you have at the moment.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok .. i’d just put a layer like an inch of perlite on the top of your medium and let the pots/bags go dry for a day or two longer before watering unless the plants are droopy/weak looking..
do that for about a month no matter what and that should kill off all the larvee as that is the problem not the gnat itself.,
i’d also clean up everything with everything a hydrogen peroxide mix or an isopropyl mix, tent, floors etc..

MT_Smoke420

MT_Smoke420

ok .. i’d just put a layer like an inch of perlite on the top of your medium and let the pots/bags go dry for a day or two longer before watering unless the plants are droopy/weak looking..
do that for about a month no matter what and that should kill off all the larvee as that is the problem not the gnat itself.,
i’d also clean up everything with everything a hydrogen peroxide mix or an isopropyl mix, tent, floors etc..
Yeah I was reading perlite, sand, etc will do the trick.

I'd rather stay away from soil drenches. Just out of curiosity though, I know spraying pesticides on buds in flower is obviously bad, but I guess spray the soil / drenching the soil during flower wouldn't have too much negative effect? This is more just out of curiosity.

Thanks for your response!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yeah I was reading perlite, sand, etc will do the trick.

I'd rather stay away from soil drenches. Just out of curiosity though, I know spraying pesticides on buds in flower is obviously bad, but I guess spray the soil / drenching the soil during flower wouldn't have too much negative effect? This is more just out of curiosity.

Thanks for your response!
someone mentioned a product above that sounded fine.. if you want to go that way i’m sure it’s good..

Top Bottom