Fungus gnats.

• Thread starter saner1r
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

saner1r

Fungus gnats are about the easiest pest to kill. If they dont die and you have been fighting them for years its not gnats. Your plants get damaged and almost die not gnats. Listen to the ladies. They might know what they are talking about :makeup ;)

I am not having a big problem with gnats. Just don't like them. I only have a problem after using new soil or my compost. Just want a cheaper solution then GO Gnats.

purpleberry

purpleberry

I say fighting them for years, I mean off and on. And they have never been a problem, just there. With the gnatrol ect, It knocks them back, but unless i use it all the time it seems there is always a few . I found when i hit the with azatrol, They are gone the whole flower cycle from 1 application. Im done dumping money on the gnatrol and other simalar products.

R

rubbabudbud

I add a handful of neem cake fertiliser into my compost mix (1 handful to 5 litres) and this keeps them at bay.

If you store compost outside you are more likely to get them.

Fungus gnats are not harmless, do not assume that they are a mild nuisance. They are a disease vector that can carry pythium and the like.

R

RockPhosphate

I've tried EVERYTHING in the past. H202, Gnatrol, Go-Gnats, Mosquito Dunks, Diatomaceous Earth, Sticky traps. Always seemed to have a battle with them.

The predators work. MUCH LE$$. And peace of mind once they are gone.

B

Buddy Hemphill

merit 75. once and done. early veg only.

I have some in week 5 flower that are superstars. I treated them with merit right before they were about to croak from root aphids...3 weeks in veg in 5" pots.(this was before I started their 30 day "big veg time" in 5g pots

I was INFESTED. I have had 10 yellow traps in there this whole time and have seen ONE aphid stuck in them. 30 day veg(plus about 4 weeks in 5"ers previous to going in 5g pots)...5 weeks in flwr.:)

Its nasty....but.....the alternative, it sucks worse. I think it was easier for me to contain because everyting was in 4 or 5" pots when I nuked them.

squarepusher

squarepusher

interested in the natural Trichoderma route, will be trying that today for my gnats.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Check this out, citation re: DE.
Diatomaceous Earth placed on or in the soil does not control fungus gnat adults or larvae
(Cloud, 2005 and Cloud et al., 2007).
BANG!

Still reading... :makeup

***Here we go***
Biological control agents can be very effective in the management of fungus gnats. There are two commercially available: Steinernema nematodes and Hypoaspis mites.

Steinernema nematodes have a simple life cycle starting with juvenile nematodes seeking a host insect. The nematode enters the fungus gnat’s body through the mouth, anus or spiracles (holes through which an insect breathes). Once in the body, symbiotic bacteria are released from the nematode, which in turn kills the host insect. The dead insect and bacteria are food for the nematode until it reaches the adult stage where it reproduces and starts the process again in the soil. Completion of the life cycle occurs in a few days. This nematode is not dangerous to humans or pets.

Hypoaspis are small (0.8mm) tan mites that feed voraciously on gnat eggs and larvae. The life cycle of the mites is 13 days from egg to death. Reproduction will occur in the potting soil, keeping them around to feed for many generations. Reapplication can be made in 2-4 weeks, if needed, and complete control can be expected in 2-4 applications. Like Steinernema these mites, dwell in the soil, and are not harmful to humans or pets.
They consider Bt to be chemical control...

I didn't find any mention of Trichoderma spp, though. Any citation for that?

M

mrbong73

It says that the females essentially refused to lay eggs in the treated medium, which was Tx'd with T. harzianum 24, 48, and 72hrs prior to use.

More on Trichoderma. Perhaps it *isn't* really useless, after all?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20943179

Biological pest control:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&term="Pest Control, Biological"[MeSH%20Terms]

Wonderful world of fungi.

I have been reading conflicting information regarding the use of both the Trichoderma and Mycorrhizae fungi at the same time.
Some of these studies seem to show they can get along and provide thier own unique benefits to the plant.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=trichoderma and arbuscular mycorrhizae

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
While I can't well-apply these controls in all situations, I can DEFINITELY apply them to my outdoor planters and our vegetable garden, as well as nearby landscaping.

Very most excellent! Been appreciating your contributions of late, mrbong. :)

Z

ZZTops

I have been using GoGnats although I want to change to something cheaper and maybe something I can make at home.

Triazicide is that organic?

I use yellow plastic strips with a light coat of Vesaline...

Hang near soil, throw away when covered with Gants...

Will put a cramp in there lifestyle...

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

I just add nematodes at transplant time, cover with an inch of light-colored sand, and put up a few pieces of flypaper to check their populations.

Chemical solutions are not as effective as biologic if you're just attempting to control and not worried about complete eradication.

Nothing smokes better than what's grown in living soil.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Again If you cant kill them or have to "battle" them they arent gnats. Yes gnats do cause damage if left untreated for months on end but if you try and kill them with dunks (which will totally eradicate them) or using chems and they arent dying they arent gnats. Its not like gnats are this crazy pest that cant be killed. Want to know why there is only a couple of products for them....because they die easily period. The only time you will have a reoccurring gnat problem is when you you a medium like coco and over water to where your medium is always saturated. I have been reading these threads on and off and seems like their is a whole gang of people in some serious denial. You dont see a whole bunch of threads on gnats and how to get rid of them or they wont die because they die and you can rid of them fairly easy.

true grit

true grit

Yeah i got tired of some gnats that have been lingering for a lil while now. Nothing big just annoying, tried one application of GoGnats and they pretty much vanished. Only seen a few since, bet one more app would clear the spot.

Top Bottom