Fungus Gnats

• Thread starter Tearsofshiva
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
xeamonk

xeamonk

What's with them? If you get the right type, they'll help eradicating FG.

Amen on the nematodes

I used nematodes once for a serious infestation that was killing my plants. it was horrible. i did not realize it could get that bad. i applied 25 million total of two species of nematodes and a few day later they were basically destroyed. i was able to finish the grow like nothing happened. now i use a root barrier made out of solar screen and it keeps them from going in and out of the pots. thats how they reproduce so if you can stop that. problem solved.

gotta hate bugs but gotta love beneficials and predators, i was seriously impressed with the damage they did for me :)
nematodes-attack.jpg

some nematodes in action on a gnat maggot
-Cheers

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

Fungus gnats hang around water, you should never get fungus gnats and if you do its a sign you've been over watering or at least watering to often your medium. Always aerate the top of your medium after watering. If your getting larvae on your medium you really have kept your medium saturated for extended periods. Humidity plays a roll but they like sitting water or heavy situated medium or whatever is stay wet.

SoilGame420

SoilGame420

Nice yea I just bought some. I wasn't aware it was a bacillus strain. I actually got the pellets though. It says to top dress with it but to apply to standing water.. I don't have standing water so is it possible to just drop these in with my regular root drench? Side note: I have only noticed a few fungus gnats since using Nemotodes, sticky traps, strategic watering. However I'd like to take care of the problem for good while I have them on the decline and since this is a bioinsecticide it should be ok.

SoilGame420

SoilGame420

I am used to having a "normal" amount of fungus gnats, I know that a truly balanced soil doesn't have FG, but I have never had them this bad, and after taking the advice of this thread I have virtually eliminated them in my space. Thanks everyone.

xeamonk

xeamonk

Fungus gnats hang around water, you should never get fungus gnats and if you do its a sign you've been over watering or at least watering to often your medium. Always aerate the top of your medium after watering. If your getting larvae on your medium you really have kept your medium saturated for extended periods. Humidity plays a roll but they like sitting water or heavy situated medium or whatever is stay wet.

yup

growing in coco i was about to give it up and switch to dirt. my cocos always wet. i still would like to try some real soil sometime soon though.

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

20170920 023448
Ive never gotten gnats bro, veg or bloom and i keep my humidity booming at about 75% RH in veg. I View attachment 742857 Just use good old Pro Mix HP or Sunshine #4, I slightly sweeten the peat with organic amendments and add a little perlite and a minut amount of crushed dolomite like, I mean like a half teaspoon per 7 gallon bucket because the shit will fry your roots quick but if administered properly, it's a great source of calcium and magnesium and keeps your PH in check while peat and amendments break down over time. This is my little outfit yesterday at day 30 bloom.

V

VonDank

MD'S are beneficial n
Nice yea I just bought some. I wasn't aware it was a bacillus strain. I actually got the pellets though. It says to top dress with it but to apply to standing water.. I don't have standing water so is it possible to just drop these in with my regular root drench? Side note: I have only noticed a few fungus gnats since using Nemotodes, sticky traps, strategic watering. However I'd like to take care of the problem for good while I have them on the decline and since this is a bioinsecticide it should be ok.
Get the dunks, the prill doesnt work as well. Did extensive comparisons years ago.
Just smash into powder and spread around on top of soil. Water or feed. We aerate the top of soil frequently so it mixes in but you don't have too.

V

VonDank

I am used to having a "normal" amount of fungus gnats, I know that a truly balanced soil doesn't have FG, but I have never had them this bad, and after taking the advice of this thread I have virtually eliminated them in my space. Thanks everyone.
MD'S are beneficial n

Get the dunks, the prill doesnt work as well. Did extensive comparisons years ago.
Just smash into powder and spread around on top of soil. Water or feed. We aerate the top of soil frequently so it mixes in but you don't have too.

SoilGame420

SoilGame420

Once you get the MD'S going you won't have any issues my friend.
Yea just crushed em up and top dressed a little on each container and haven't seen one yet in a few days. Stooooked!! Thanks for the info, good looks. It's been getting really cold here in NorCal the past few days and I don't have the heater set up so soil is taking much longer to dry out but I think the md's with the Nemotodes to eat the larva should do it. Vondank is that your grow? Damn bro, living the dream.

V

VonDank

Yea just crushed em up and top dressed a little on each container and haven't seen one yet in a few days. Stooooked!! Thanks for the info, good looks. It's been getting really cold here in NorCal the past few days and I don't have the heater set up so soil is taking much longer to dry out but I think the md's with the Nemotodes to eat the larva should do it. Vondank is that your grow? Damn bro, living the dream.
We don't own the facilities, just design, build, manage. We operate in medical, Rec states.
But I started just like most back when it was trial and error learning. Thank you.

xeamonk

xeamonk

View attachment 742858 Ive never gotten gnats bro, veg or bloom and i keep my humidity booming at about 75% RH in veg. I View attachment 742857 Just use good old Pro Mix HP or Sunshine #4, I slightly sweeten the peat with organic amendments and add a little perlite and a minut amount of crushed dolomite like, I mean like a half teaspoon per 7 gallon bucket because the shit will fry your roots quick but if administered properly, it's a great source of calcium and magnesium and keeps your PH in check while peat and amendments break down over time. This is my little outfit yesterday at day 30 bloom.

That looks awesome! How are you feeding them? Im debating on weather or not to get into pro-mix. Are you able to stay a bit on the dry side with peat or are you saying its mostly the MD that get the gnats. The way I'm growing now its like gnats guaranteed. My root barrier doesnt seem to be working this time. Worked a charm before so I dont know what the deal is. Maybe I'll try the dunks like you guys say works. I tried Bti (microbe-lift) but maybe I did not actually use it consistent and for long enough. With the dunks its time release so as long as they are there and fairly fresh they are giving off Bti.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

If they are Gnats, use Microbe lift (might be spelt Lyft??) Anyway, a tiny drop per gallon, and you shouldn't see anymore in 9 days or so. Continue using once a week or so.
I didn't read many posts, but if you've been battling em a while, plants look sick, etc...make sure you don't have aphids. 2 ways to tell if they're aphids.....Wings are longer than body, and 2 pipes coming out of it's ass.
Microbe lift is very powerful, but non toxic. It's meant for ponds, marsh etc...idk if you'll find em at the hydro store, but look online...amazing bang for the buck.

jewsh808

jewsh808

Every transplant into new soil gets a Gnatrol drench... In my veg/stretch room, I alternate foliar (lights off obviously) -- azamax and Nuke Em, every 3~4 days alternating...heavy foliar drench so some drips into the soil too..azamax I go 1 shot glass per gallon...nuke em is 4 shots glasses per gallon...never had any burns or damage

V

VonDank

Every transplant into new soil gets a Gnatrol drench... In my veg/stretch room, I alternate foliar (lights off obviously) -- azamax and Nuke Em, every 3~4 days alternating...heavy foliar drench so some drips into the soil too..azamax I go 1 shot glass per gallon...nuke em is 4 shots glasses per gallon...never had any burns or damage
If this is just for your meds and your happy with the results than keep doing what works for you.
I've found less is more. If you ever feel like trying a test give the crushed dunks a try without anything else. I'm not trying to push my experience on you but I'm sure you would love to have the least amount of problems for the lowest cost while producing a great medicine that is as natural and clean as possible. But once again, if your happy just ignore my reply.

jewsh808

jewsh808

If this is just for your meds and your happy with the results than keep doing what works for you.
I've found less is more. If you ever feel like trying a test give the crushed dunks a try without anything else. I'm not trying to push my experience on you but I'm sure you would love to have the least amount of problems for the lowest cost while producing a great medicine that is as natural and clean as possible. But once again, if your happy just ignore my reply.
Trying to follow but I didnt catch what MD was or crushed dunks? Indoor room in Hawaii
Always dealing with gnats and pests...even indoor, cause Hawaii nothing ever dies, high humidity...also read up and didnt catch what MD was or crushed dunks

V

VonDank

Trying to follow but I didnt catch what MD was or crushed dunks? Indoor room in Hawaii

Always dealing with gnats and pests...even indoor, cause Hawaii nothing ever dies, high humidity...also read up and didnt catch what MD was or crushed dunks
Mosquito Dunks. They come in packs compressed into small donut shaped pucks. When crushed up into powder they are easily spread over your medium "soil" can be also applied to Rockwool. Or even trays if you have standing water. Promoted for mosquito elimination but great for gnats.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Dunks will keep em in check at best. Dunks are BT, while Microbe lyft is BTI. Dunks, especially if you have a large grow going get fairly expensive.
Check out Miroble Lyft online. It last forever, dirt cheap, safe, and way more effective.
For 30 bucks or so, you're set for a few years...Even if you're running 50 lights. Just be sure they're not aphid flyers, so put up a few slices of sticky traps

Top Bottom