Fungus Gnats

• Thread starter Tearsofshiva
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tearsofshiva

Im on day 20 of flower indoors, and I'm growing in a basement so I continually have fungus gnats problems. I read they sense the co2 so I think they're just gonna keep coming back.

For ipm my regimen is:
Top dress neem/karanja cake
Beneficial nematodes
Captain jacks, neem oil, agsil16h, eucalyptus oil, rosemary oil: spray as needed

After all these measures the gnat problem is worse than ever and I've sprayed enough so I'm looking for some other methods to keep them at bay and was wondering if anyone had any experience.

I was thinking of ladybugs to combat them My room is 700 cu ft how many would I need?

I read a hydrogen peroxide wash with your watering will kill the larvae in the soil, but will this have any adverse effects this far into flower??

Thanks friends

cannabeans

cannabeans

H2o2 ( peroxide) will kill the larvae but it will also sterilize your soil as well..
I personally go for a physical barrier like sand. I topdress with about 1/2 inch. I have found that "paver sand" works the best for me. It forms a cement like layer that allows water to pass but makes it very difficult for the larve to come out of the soil, Also makes it difficult for the flyers to lay eggs in the soil.
I will also drench with "spinosad" every so often to make sure there are no larvae living in the soil.
Ladybugs will do ZERO control on fungus gnats.

T

Tearsofshiva

Ok so peroxide is basically a no no for organic soil then? Because it will kill all your microbes?

Also can you use sand when u already have a topdress of barley mulch and cover crop growing?

T

Tearsofshiva

H2o2 ( peroxide) will kill the larvae but it will also sterilize your soil as well..
I personally go for a physical barrier like sand. I topdress with about 1/2 inch. I have found that "paver sand" works the best for me. It forms a cement like layer that allows water to pass but makes it very difficult for the larve to come out of the soil, Also makes it difficult for the flyers to lay eggs in the soil.
I will also drench with "spinosad" every so often to make sure there are no larvae living in the soil.
And also I read ladybugs are good for reducing the adult population which is flying around because they are carnivorous and will basically eat anything but your plants

Organikz

Organikz

Here's what I end up having to do to let my system regain a hold. You have to set up sticky traps that come with stakes. I literally had one at every place I could fit one. H. Miles are awesome for keeping them in check until the system can knock them down. Also you are spraying the top of your soil and mulch layer correct? Not too much just enough to push it through the surface. Don't want to end up with a root drench. You are using an atomizer and always mixing aloe with the foliars?

Brandon7861

Brandon7861

I water peroxide mixed and laid down sand and put pvc pipe to the base of stock to water and cap pipe when done feeding. I have zero knats now. I was ingested literally infested a week ago. Not now I'm not aha

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Great advice.
I like to hit my soil with spinosad twice once in early veg and then a week before flip. Helps keep the population at bay so making it to harvest isnt an issue. Better to have an ounce of prevention up front....... See lots of folks get all jacked up due to lack of maintenance up front and then struggling to treat issues in flower. Doesnt have to go that way.........

Organikz

Organikz

Keeping your environment clean is also important. I put down horticultural plastic and I am now making sure not to leave bags open and try to clean organic matter off the floor immediately. I make up a solution of 1 TBS Mrs Meyers lavender hand soap 2 TBS 91% iso alcohol and a few drops of lemongrass oil and spray the plastic and wipe it down every other day. If it gets on your plants no big deal. It DIY green cleaner then some

Monster762

Monster762

I water peroxide mixed and laid down sand and put pvc pipe to the base of stock to water and cap pipe when done feeding. I have zero knats now. I was ingested literally infested a week ago. Not now I'm not aha
Try this it works. Also air flow at soil level will make it harder for them to land. I did this pvc method too and just used neem on soil. Put dollar store sticky ribbon fly traps in room. They help too. Feed through tubes keep top soil dry except neem oil. They'll be gone in no time.

Monster762

Monster762

Try this it works. Also air flow at soil level will make it harder for them to land. I did this pvc method too and just used neem on soil. Put dollar store sticky ribbon fly traps in room. They help too. Feed through tubes keep top soil dry except neem oil. They'll be gone in no time.
Drill holes in sides of the pvc and cap the bottoms. It spreads the intake of water nutes better under the soil.

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Im on day 20 of flower indoors, and I'm growing in a basement so I continually have fungus gnats problems. I read they sense the co2 so I think they're just gonna keep coming back.

For ipm my regimen is:
Top dress neem/karanja cake
Beneficial nematodes
Captain jacks, neem oil, agsil16h, eucalyptus oil, rosemary oil: spray as needed

After all these measures the gnat problem is worse than ever and I've sprayed enough so I'm looking for some other methods to keep them at bay and was wondering if anyone had any experience.

I was thinking of ladybugs to combat them My room is 700 cu ft how many would I need?

I read a hydrogen peroxide wash with your watering will kill the larvae in the soil, but will this have any adverse effects this far into flower??

Thanks friends

U can buy them in in a couple hundred at a time and they are cheap my hydro shop is less then 13 bucks I believe for 1000 and wow do they work wonders they will usually eat just one bug a day so if u have 1000 in an enclosed area they will wipe out your pest issue

Prey mantis eat constantly if You can get a few of those then I won't need as many

IMG 6915
T

Tearsofshiva

Here's what I end up having to do to let my system regain a hold. You have to set up sticky traps that come with stakes. I literally had one at every place I could fit one. H. Miles are awesome for keeping them in check until the system can knock them down. Also you are spraying the top of your soil and mulch layer correct? Not too much just enough to push it through the surface. Don't want to end up with a root drench. You are using an atomizer and always mixing aloe with the foliars?

Yes I'm basically only spraying the mulch so it's soaked. And the walls etc...
What's an atomizer lol?? Like for a vape? Lmao

T

Tearsofshiva

U can buy them in in a couple hundred at a time and they are cheap my hydro shop is less then 13 bucks I believe for 1000 and wow do they work wonders they will usually eat just one bug a day so if u have 1000 in an enclosed area they will wipe out your pest issue

Prey mantis eat constantly if You can get a few of those then I won't need as many
I just ordered 1500 ladybugs and 10 million nematodes to fuck these gnats up.... battle on the ground level

T

Tearsofshiva

Keeping your environment clean is also important. I put down horticultural plastic and I am now making sure not to leave bags open and try to clean organic matter off the floor immediately. I make up a solution of 1 TBS Mrs Meyers lavender hand soap 2 TBS 91% iso alcohol and a few drops of lemongrass oil and spray the plastic and wipe it down every other day. If it gets on your plants no big deal. It DIY green cleaner then some
Wow I thought I was clean lol... i have pics in another thread it's pissing me off I wish I could witch it to the organic one so you could all see... I'm gonna make this solution and start spraying my room with it too!! Ur starting a tradition....

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/third-times-a-charm.88740/

T

Tearsofshiva

Great advice.
I like to hit my soil with spinosad twice once in early veg and then a week before flip. Helps keep the population at bay so making it to harvest isnt an issue. Better to have an ounce of prevention up front....... See lots of folks get all jacked up due to lack of maintenance up front and then struggling to treat issues in flower. Doesnt have to go that way.........
I definitely agree prevention>maintenance lol and that's what I was going for.... oh well.

So spinsoad is cool to drench with in veg?? Next time I'll definitely give mine a hit before I flip next time regardless just to be safe. How does spinosad affect the microbes?

Latest posts

Top Bottom