Fungus Gnats

• Thread starter Tearsofshiva
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
brazel

brazel

Never have tried it but just though it sounds possible to use diotenacious (sp?) Earth around/ on top of soil or even just sprinkle it if plant was in veg...soap and some water works to dry bigger pests out but idk about little ones
I personally never had good luck with DE, I put a 6" pile on top of the ant Hill and they just tunneled on through it. I'm not saying it doesn't work but in my experience it didn't. I bought food grade bag I don't member what brands was years ago I so I could had a bunk bag . Yes on soap and water long time ago I used dawn then switched to Dr. Bronners With peppermint or with lavender are the two I used.
I haven't used them in a while though

Organikz

Organikz

Well what’s the difference between Bto and bmc?
Where do you see bmc? I'm assuming that's another bacillus bacteria. BTI is found most effective against fungus gnats. I have the predatory mites like you as well as a shit ton of Rove beetles. When I first mix soil it was gnat city until I started dropping a saponin tea in it which is hands down the most effective treatment. Anyway i would always magically see the gnats disappear. Later i was recycling the soil and found swarms of rove beetles. I also run nemattack, captain jacks, MBP (chitinase), and soap nut tea (saponin).

My latest idea with my pine bark mulch is that wood will actually absorb oils from neem and karanja and hold them. Not to mention the fact that the mulch contains pinene already.

The simplest solution is to blow a fan across your soil. Fungus gnats are very weak flyers and something as simple as this can disturb them enough to prevent reproduction.

Organikz

Organikz

I personally never had good luck with DE, I put a 6" pile on top of the ant Hill and they just tunneled on through it. I'm not saying it doesn't work but in my experience it didn't. I bought food grade bag I don't member what brands was years ago I so I could had a bunk bag . Yes on soap and water long time ago I used dawn then switched to Dr. Bronners With peppermint or with lavender are the two I used.
I haven't used them in a while though
I would use soap nuts. Even natural soap contains preservatives. Dawn is antibacterial so keep that as far away as possible unless you want your soil to look like Chernobyl. Believe me soap nuts and soap bark would be fucking stinking otherwise. Even when my tea is in the fridge too long it starts getting a little rank. I powder them and add a tsp to a gallon of hot water. I let it steep while it cools to room temperature and shake the hell out of it. I water this in once a week. Also provides nutrients.

We learn from one another here! :ninja:

Last edited:
KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

I learned this one trick years ago from an old school, experienced grower... It may sound strange but it works. This will not help with larva but with nothing laying eggs it shouldn't matter... Go out and buy a big bright yellow piece of construction board. Smear patroleum jelly all over it and hang it on the wall... He told me that when the light hit it, it will be the brightest thing in the room and critters will be attracted to it and get stuck in the jelly... It does work without any application of pesticides on your babies. I've used it in small to medium infestations. Not super large ones... But, give it a try. You might be surprised.

brazel

brazel

I learned this one trick years ago from an old school, experienced grower... It may sound strange but it works. This will not help with larva but with nothing laying eggs it shouldn't matter... Go out and buy a big bright yellow piece of construction board. Smear patroleum jelly all over it and hang it on the wall... He told me that when the light hit it, it will be the brightest thing in the room and critters will be attracted to it and get stuck in the jelly... It does work without any application of pesticides on your babies. I've used it in small to medium infestations. Not super large ones... But, give it a try. You might be surprised.
Good advice, a lot of us follow that and without a doubt it Works but Unfortunately before you catch adults they lay cocoons which hatch without adults then become adults that you kill ... and so on and so on

Organikz

Organikz

@Wildfire.Co
Derp before I refresh to see I realized it's short for bio mosquito control and it's the same bud. I think mosquito dunks or flakes are cheaper. They're a slow release or you can brew them up in n9nchlorinated water and compost. Bubble the tea 24 hours then throw the boys in and let it bubble another 30 minutes.

You can even set the whole donut on top of your soil. This will act as a slow-release. Multiple Generations is proven to be more effective

Don't go overboard. I think they use cornmeal for the bits which could burn your plants. It's extremely high in nitrogen content. Don't bury it. It would cause a cook-off

Last thing I would like to add. I think the most important thing is to activate a plant's natural defenses utilizing chitin found in crustacean meals and malted barley flour. This lets me know that even if there are fungus gnats in the soil eating organic matter they cannot touch my plant or they will get scorched with chitinase

Last edited:
Organikz

Organikz

You can also strategically place stickies or the homemade version as mentioned so that a the fans blowing across your soil hit it. As soon as the bastards take flight the fan blows them right into it. I run the stickies that already have 2 holes down bamboo stakes at the corners of my bed. I run them from 1/2" above the soil to about 2" high. I stagger them on opposite sides of the stake as I run each one. They end up curled over like a scoop. Kicks ass. Blow fans at soil level and no flyer shall live.

I do this when I'm on a serious mission. I try to avoid sticky shit besides nugs. They make a mess. My girlfriend got one in her hair and it had bugs. She almost cut me

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Where do you see bmc? I'm assuming that's another bacillus bacteria. BTI is found most effective against fungus gnats. I have the predatory mites like you as well as a shit ton of Rove beetles. When I first mix soil it was gnat city until I started dropping a saponin tea in it which is hands down the most effective treatment. Anyway i would always magically see the gnats disappear. Later i was recycling the soil and found swarms of rove beetles. I also run nemattack, captain jacks, MBP (chitinase), and soap nut tea (saponin).

My latest idea with my pine bark mulch is that wood will actually absorb oils from neem and karanja and hold them. Not to mention the fact that the mulch contains pinene already.

The simplest solution is to blow a fan across your soil. Fungus gnats are very weak flyers and something as simple as this can disturb them enough to prevent reproduction.
So I got the wrong bottle lol
43EC9134 EFE3 40E2 85F2 744F8F871D55
got way to much as well.i will donate to a local nursery if need be. :D Good thing I don’t raise chickens for a living lol​

Organikz

Organikz

@Wildfire.Co
No I was thinking about what you had said. Bti is actually a type of BMC. BMC stands for biological mosquito control. What that bottle holds is exactly what you are looking for

It was too early this morning and for some reason I was thinking you're some sort of nematode or some other thing

I stretch mine out a little bit by adding it to a bubbled compost tea 24 hours. I said this a hundred times I think between here and grasscity. There is no single Silver Bullet that is going to solve the problem with fungus gnats.

Last edited:
GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
@Wildfire.Co
No I was thinking about what you had said. Bti is actually a type of BMC. BMC stands for biological mosquito control. What that bottle holds is exactly what you are looking for

It was too early this morning and for some reason I was thinking you're some sort of nematode or some other thing

I stretch mine out a little bit by adding it to a bubbled compost tea 24 hours. I said this a hundred times I think between here and grasscity. There is no single Silver Bullet that is going to solve the problem with fungus gnats.
Your god damn right pal!

Crops

Crops

H2o2 ( peroxide) will kill the larvae but it will also sterilize your soil as well..
I personally go for a physical barrier like sand. I topdress with about 1/2 inch. I have found that "paver sand" works the best for me. It forms a cement like layer that allows water to pass but makes it very difficult for the larve to come out of the soil, Also makes it difficult for the flyers to lay eggs in the soil.
I will also drench with "spinosad" every so often to make sure there are no larvae living in the soil.
Ladybugs will do ZERO control on fungus gnats.
I do thisMethod as well and works really great

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Im on day 20 of flower indoors, and I'm growing in a basement so I continually have fungus gnats problems. I read they sense the co2 so I think they're just gonna keep coming back.

For ipm my regimen is:
Top dress neem/karanja cake
Beneficial nematodes
Captain jacks, neem oil, agsil16h, eucalyptus oil, rosemary oil: spray as needed

After all these measures the gnat problem is worse than ever and I've sprayed enough so I'm looking for some other methods to keep them at bay and was wondering if anyone had any experience.

I was thinking of ladybugs to combat them My room is 700 cu ft how many would I need?

I read a hydrogen peroxide wash with your watering will kill the larvae in the soil, but will this have any adverse effects this far into flower??

Thanks friends
in addition to whatever you decide to treat with put several High Velocity fans on low on the floor and keep them on 24/7 and put yellow stickys on every plant and in several weeks it will break their cycle

Top Bottom