G13 Haze...what's the deal....

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

I don't mean this to start out as a shark tank type thread, but here's an observation:

Last year's HTCC overall winner was G13 Haze from Barney's. Clearly all the judges liked it and it did well. I've smoked a lot of it and it's good stuff.

However, if it's such a winner, and so popular, why the hell do you rarely see any grow diaries? or why do so few people buy them to grow? Surely you'd expect a cup winner to be grown by the masses??

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
I would think the long finish time maybe

F

FastForward

It's not that long really...it's not like a mad exotic sativa that would take 12+ weeks.... 70 days isn't that insane....and for allegedly top quality bud that's really not that long....

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
Seems like your right , it should be alot more popular

U

USMCtanker

ya thats true, i should have some brainstorm haze x g13 soon, ill post some pics. ya you dont see to may things on the g13 but you do see alot in the magazines. if anyone has some pleace post would love to see. oh i have never smoked g13 but have heard it doesnt tase that well but still is great stuff, is that true, hows the taste and smell

S

spinkus

I'm growing it out right now as we speak. I bought mine from Reeferman in January. I had 3 good phenos out of 4 females. Currently running one that is one of my all time favs. It isn't done in 70 days though. I had one pheno finish in 70 days and it still should go 77, it was more g-13 than haze but still needed time to finish. The keeper pheno I currently run is 15%? amber at 12 weeks, and a nice balanced high.

It is my understanding that Barney stole his g13xhaze from Reef? Dunno for sure, but thats what i've been told.

T

Thick Smoke

it seems as alot of people do stick to the indica side of things. i am runnin nirvana's papaya and kc's mango right now. i have one pheno of the papaya that will prolly be done in the 56 day area, but the rest are prolly 65 or so.

i think alot of people count on the extra $$$ they can get from harvest time, and the rest of us are potheads lol

besides most the stuff i read about is either some form of chem or og
kinda tiring really.

7rayos

I think that's because of the promotion made by Barney's. He tries the Arjan line but his reputation is of good but very expensive things of unclear origin, and his HTCC winnings also are rumoured to be kinda "strategic". His catalogue photos are badly photoshopped and uses the same plant for introducing a number of different strains. All in all, the HTCC for some reason doesn't imply big sales really. Some best-selling strains were already famous before winning. Things like the Rfm's Love Potion#1 took me ages to find beans 3 years ago, (eventually i've found the last two packs in an italian online shop) having won the 2002 cup.
All in all, there's a lack of old style after-cup promotion too. If you'd see a big add everytime you enter in any forum, if Derry would participate in forums, sending samples, and so on, if, if, if. So, bad promotion, big shop prices and seedy reputation. And probably too, the strain name, (g13 x Haze) which for experienced growers are varieties very well known and multi-versioned, and to the young buck-ready novice nothing sort of wild tsunami appeals. I think that sums up the lack of success. Just an opinion, though

D

dna genetics

I don't mean this to start out as a shark tank type thread, but here's an observation:

Last year's HTCC overall winner was G13 Haze from Barney's. Clearly all the judges liked it and it did well. I've smoked a lot of it and it's good stuff.

However, if it's such a winner, and so popular, why the hell do you rarely see any grow diaries? or why do so few people buy them to grow? Surely you'd expect a cup winner to be grown by the masses??

hey FF,
G13 HAze from Barneys was Originally from Reef.
it's the same G13 Haze we have except it is the Female version. people areafraid to get these longer flowering strains due to its flowering time:rain
we have been working with this male for 4-5 years now and we are always finding great things from him:D

truly i think the reason G13 Haze won the cup is******** and we lost by 1 vote. i think the Chocolope was way better and the crowed told us so!
you can be the judge this year and tell us what you think? we have some killer Chocolope waiting for testers:D

respect,
A:party

F

FastForward

ThickSmoke - not every farmer does so commercially though....plenty of people grow for the pleasure of it, and 70-80 days isn't that extreme?! e.g. if someone could give you the greatest buzz ever but you had to wait 2-3 extra weeks for it to get done....would you really say 'nah, fuckit - i need faster'???!!!

7Rayos - I think you're onto something there with the promotion. I think Derry has been very clever in his promotion, so that he influences voters with freebies and loads of advertising (judges + freebies = votes). This is why G13 Haze was popular at the HTCC but not when push comes to shove and people spend time and money growing it out.

DNA - I definitely see more chocolope grows than I do G13 Haze, so if that's the acid test, you win ;) I think you have to fight fire with fire on this one....because judges are (largely) human beings, able to be influenced and biased....ESPECIALLY when mullered

B

BITYmagicBeanz

g13 haze is still quality. im not a g fan. bt the crosses are better i think. have grown out g13haze for over a year. and could grow it forever and always be happy with the quality. but i like variety.

P

ProGroWannabe

I probably shouldn't chime in here cuz I may get a bashing for this, but.......

I was told by a decently-reliable source that Derry is, lets say, a very unscrupulous individual. There has been enough told to me by enough people that I would lean more to believing it, than toward discounting it as bullshit.

With that said, I cannot prove any of it, and I am not trying to sway others opinions--just stating mine. But I'll never buy a bean from him after what I was told.

So as far as why Barney's doesn't sell more beans of "cup winners" maybe it's just that the word has gotten out about his underhanded business pratices

.........I'm sorry, "alleged" underhanded business practices.

Top Bottom