GA3 aka Gibberellic Acid

• Thread starter ncga
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ncga

ncga

Hi Logic & Billygoat

I notice in the Dutch Flower thread you two were talking about the use of GA3 to pop some old seeds. I could not find any information of seeds with GA3 and no GA3 in a controlled experiment.

36017d1243955128t-dutchflowers-preservation-project-cimg0917.jpg.att

Originally Posted by Billygoat View Post
I saw post 100. You said everything popped. I was wondering how you felt about this kit? How was the seeds germination deration? Did all pretty much pop all at once or did you have a few that popped later on. Did most look nice and health as they came out of the seed husk? Was just wondering a little detail and how you felt about this kit and the job it did. I guess all that matters is the seeds popped and everything is healthy.
Great job,
BG
The only thing i have noticed is STRETCHING i was told the GA is known for causing elongation of the plants. i will take some clones in a few weeks and those should be normal

Also some information from Calicannabiseed

Looks like were in the same boat. A customer of mine comes in my shop an we get to talking and he proceeds to tell me he lived in Jamaica over 20 years ago and he has about 200 Lambsbread seeds found in his old stuff and would I know how to germinate old seeds. I told him no but I will find out. He ended up giving me about 100 of them. I just received the GA3 in the mail so I hit up my extractionist who just happens to be a Bio Chemist out of SDSU. He said 1/8 teaspoon of 91% Isopropyl alcohol to an 1/8 teaspoon GA3. You have to dissolve the GA3 with heat so microwave will work (watch for flash boil). Pour mixed solution into water not the opposite. Soak seeds for 24 hours then germinate. We shall see I am doing it tonight I will keep you posted. Good luck!

133746d1299217454t-dutchflowers-preservation-project-ga3.jpg.att

Jlhudsonseeds.com

OTHER AREAS FOR RESEARCH
Potassium nitrate (KNO3) is often used to stimulate germination of dormant or irregular seeds. It can replace the light requirement of some pines. The seeds are soaked in a 1000 to 3000ppm solution (1 - 3 grams per liter), or are germinated on pads soaked in this solution. Concentration is not crucial, so 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per quart is fine. It is about 6 grams per teaspoon. In our tests, some seeds which normally give seedlings over 3 months have all come up in a month with KNO3.

Hydrogen peroxide stimulates many species. Seeds are soaked in a 1 - 3% solution for 5 minutes to 48 hours for hard seeds. We have had very good results.

Presoaking seeds in malt extract solution or in beer may increase germination and vigor, especially of old seeds, due to enzyme enrichment. Higher resistance to damping off and higher yields have been reported. Other sources of enzymes include digestive aids (bromelain, papain, etc, available at health food stores), enzyme cleaners for contact lenses, and enzyme drain-cleaning products.

Citric acid is available in the canning section of the grocery, and has been used at 1000ppm to stimulate the germination of some species.

Sodium hypochlorite (household bleach) has been used in a 1% solution for a one-hour presoak to stimulate germination of some species. Mix one part bleach with 4 1/4 parts water for a 1% solution. A ten minute soak in one part bleach plus one part water is an FDA approved seed disinfectant.

Smoke and charred-wood leachate (water in which charred wood has been soaked) may stimulate germination of plants from fire-prone habitats with hot, dry summers, such as the Mediterranean, California, South Africa and Australia. For a list of genera that have responded to smoke treatment, click here: Smoke Genera.

GA-3 is sometimes used in very low concentrations, from 1 ppm to 150 ppm, to promote the germination of non-dormant seeds such as rice.

Combined treatments such as KNO3 plus GA-3, or hydrogen peroxide plus GA-3 have given higher germination than either treatment alone. Testing these substances in various combinations is enough for a lifetime of interesting research!

SAFETY
GA-3 is a natural organic compound, and its use is approved by most organic certification agencies.

GA-3 is considered 'relatively non-toxic'. According to the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet), the LD50 (lethal dose 50) or the dose which kills 50% of the test animals, is 1000 to 25,000 milligrams per kilogram of body weight in mice, dogs and rats. Applied to humans, this would mean a 75 kilogram (165 pound) person could be killed by consuming between 75 and 1875 grams (2.6 ounces to about 4 pounds) of the 90% GA-3 powder. "In reproductive studies in rats, no maternal or fetal toxicity, or other adverse effects to the fetus were noted following large doses (1000mg/kg/day) of gibberellic acid."—MSDS. The powder may cause eye irritation; in case of contact, flush with plenty of water.

I have some prized old seeds ( aloha 98 WW) I am thinking about popping. Lots of basic information around but looking for real world info.

Seed soak first ? or just place in Petri Dishes on the absorbent pad?

Does bacteria or fungus come into play on the longer germination time ?

I have ordered 2 kits along with different alcohols, Hydrogen peroxide, and KO3. Lets see if we can come up with an old seed starting guide.

nc

Blaze

Blaze

Hey NC, you might check these out:

Germination Studies on Pistacia palaestina Boiss Seeds Using Chemical and Physical Treatments:

Germination studies in Rhanterium eppaposum Oliv:

Found this as well from J. L. Hudson, Seedsman a public access seed bank- in La Honda. Not a study, so you might want to take the info with a grain of salt, since they are trying to sell you GA3 products after all:

"Gibberellic Acid-3 (GA-3) is a naturally occurring plant growth regulator which may cause a variety of effects including the stimulation of seed germination in some cases. GA-3 occurs naturally in the seeds of many species and is produced commercially by growing Gibberella fujikuroi fungus cultures in vats, then extracting and purifying the GA-3. Presoaking seeds in GA-3 solution will in many cases cause the rapid germination of many types of highly dormant seeds which would otherwise need cold treatment, after-ripening or aging, or other prolonged pretreatments. Many different types of dormancy are overcome with GA-3, and we are having excellent results with many ordinarily difficult seeds, including some types which we have never before succeeded with. Not all seeds respond well. A great deal of research needs to be done to determine which species benefit, and the proper concentration of GA-3 for each type...

Developing seeds are active sites of GA biosynthesis, and studies have found increases in GA levels in seeds during cold treatment and germination. The germination of old seeds has been improved with use of GA. Applied GA-3 may trigger dormant seed germination, in many cases overcoming the need for special or prolonged dormancy-breaking conditions such as cold. treatment, light, after-ripening, etc. We have designed these kits for the study of this effect....

While many ordinarily difficult seeds will readily germinate using GA-3, it may kill other seeds or produce badly etiolated (elongated) seedlings that will not survive. Some species will be killed by 1000ppm (parts per million), not affected by 500ppm, but 750ppm will produce healthy seedlings. The aim of your research is to determine which species benefit, and what treatment will produce healthy, normal seedlings and plants. Each type of seed should have a control - a test of untreated seed to compare against the GA-3 treated test. Otherwise, you will have no way of knowing whether GA-3 made a difference. We keep records on 3x5 cards, with the name of the plant, seed source and date or year of harvest, the number of seeds tested, the treatment given, and the date test begun. As the seeds germinate, the number of seedlings, their condition and the date are recorded on the card. Often we record the control test on the left side and the GA-3 test on the right side of the same card, for easy comparison. Once GA-3 is found to help a particular species, the next step is to test different concentrations to find the best solution to use. Please share your results with us! Follow-up observations should include whether the plants develop, mature and bloom normally, since occasionally GA-3 will cause lifetime effects in the plant, as we have seen with the chinese cabbage mentioned. Also note that if GA-3 is used for many generations of a plant, this may cause natural selection and result in a strain that will not germinate without added GA-3...."

So it sounds like you might want to do a few test runs with other seeds before you try the precious Aloha 98 seeds w/ the GA3 since it appears that with some species of plants GA3 can actually prevent germination and kill the seedling.

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

hello ncga
awhile back i was looking in to old seed germination and ran across folks using seaweed extracts

here is a copy paste from another site by another poster to give you the idea:

"For old beans, I have had good luck using a "nitrate soak" method. I first boil & then cool some water, to sterilize it. Add 1 teaspoon of a high-nitrate fertilizer (such as seaweed emulsion) per gallon of water; if you have any doubts about the sterility of the fertilizer (such as manure tea) boil it along with the water.

Then plant the beans in a sterile soil-less medium, either seed starter or plug mix. I usually use peat strips for this purpose. Place the planted pots/strips in a leak-proof plastic flat, and add enough of the solution to soak them completely. Let soak overnight, then carefully pour off any excess solution. Place the flat on a heat mat, or where the temperature will be close to 80 F. degrees. Do not cover, since the dead seeds will rot, and if enclosed, mold/mildew can spread to other pots. If any further watering is required, use plain water.

Nitrogen stimulates bean germination, so this method can be highly effective. I had some half-dead bean seed, which initially (without the nitrogen) had zero germination out of 50 seeds. When attempted again with the same seed, one year later & using the nitrate solution, the germination was better than 60%. "

fwiw

K

Kobe24

if you'd like to try something cool.....use like 10-30 ppms of GA3...order some Methyl Jasmonate....combine the two and foliar 1 flowering plant in week one...once a week..up until week 4.....

your buds will look so deformed...i mean like airy ass hay....there will be more trichs and stank on that plant then you've ever dreamed of bro....cant really sell it...but for smoke....blows away everything else...

ncga

ncga

Hi Blaze

I have those docs stored and will use them as a guide. Almost to the start of this project. Got a few more of the needed items in. The Mega has GA3 in it. Waiting for the 30% Hydrogen Peroxide, Will also try Oxidate to see how it works, KN03 and we will be off popping a WHOLE lot of OLD seeds

DSC00417 Large
I

Inuit

Hey NCGA,

This is Alaska from the other forums, just go by Inuit here.

I can get likely you some GA3 from my old lab pretty easily if you'd like. Likely from Sigma or FisherSci in crystalline form, none of this mega-grow stuff, lol.

Also, I would look into the publications of the woman who sprouted the 2,700 year old judean date palm seed a couple years back, iirc she used a 1000 ppm solution of GA3. I can help you formulate the mixing ratios etc that if needed as well if you go that route.

If you find some titles you are interested in reading hit me up and I will forward you the pdf's from my university. Same goes for other friends that are reading this :).

Be safe,

Alaska

homebrew420

homebrew420

Farmers this is exactly why this is such a great place to be. This really is a great thread. Thanks for all the helpful info.

Peace

I love J.L. Hudson seedsman. THE SHIT!

Top Bottom