GalaxysEdge Grow Diary (First Grow)

• Thread starter GalaxysEdge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

Day 2 of Flower...

Did a little defoliation to get rid of some damaged leaves and inprove airflow. Nothing too crazy though.

20210828 094500

I am noticing some of the tips of the leaves are curling down. Google tells me this might mean too much nitrogen. I read this after I gave them some water today with a light dose of Calmag (1.5 ml per gal). Then saw that Calmag has some nitrogen in it.

So I may have made the situation worse. I am suppose to feed next time (2 or 3 days from now), but I might skip it and just do water if I'm still seeing the leaves curling down.

I have only fed these girls once using FF trio (well only BB and GB to be exact, not time for Tiger Bloom yet).

20210828 094658

Otherwise I think they're doing ok

20210828 094530

20210828 094543
20210828 094558
20210828 094620

Lilolme

Lilolme

Day 2 of Flower...

Did a little defoliation to get rid of some damaged leaves and inprove airflow. Nothing too crazy though.

View attachment 1162475

I am noticing some of the tips of the leaves are curling down. Google tells me this might mean too much nitrogen. I read this after I gave them some water today with a light dose of Calmag (1.5 ml per gal). Then saw that Calmag has some nitrogen in it.

So I may have made the situation worse. I am suppose to feed next time (2 or 3 days from now), but I might skip it and just do water if I'm still seeing the leaves curling down.

I have only fed these girls once using FF trio (well only BB and GB to be exact, not time for Tiger Bloom yet).

View attachment 1162476

View attachment 1162477
View attachment 1162478View attachment 1162479View attachment 1162480
No mention of the ph or ppm of the solution you gave them. It aint the cal/mag 1.5 ml per gallon isnt much the normal dosage is 5ml per gallon

GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

No mention of the ph or ppm of the solution you gave them. It aint the cal/mag 1.5 ml per gallon isnt much the normal dosage is 5ml per gallon
So the PH is always 6.5. Whether its a feed or a water, I grt the PH to 6.5 and have done so for the life of these plants.

The PPM for this recent calmag watering was around 250 PPM. I ise distilled water when I water so I dont over do it on the calmag.

I read somewhere that if you aren't combating a deficiency related to calmag, then to just do a low dosage of 1.5ml as a preventative measure during regular watering. So that's the approach I'm taking since I am using distilled water.

But besides all that, that's not what I think caused the tip of the leaves to curl down as I stated. I just think I added more N to something that had too much N already when I did the calmag today. But maybe since it was only 1.5ml, it won't affect it at all.

So my theory about the curling tip leaves is too much nitrogen from my recent feed using Big Bloom and Grow Big in accordance with the FF feeding chart (i halved the doses though)

Lilolme

Lilolme

So the PH is always 6.5. Whether its a feed or a water, I grt the PH to 6.5 and have done so for the life of these plants.

The PPM for this recent calmag watering was around 250 PPM. I ise distilled water when I water so I dont over do it on the calmag.

I read somewhere that if you aren't combating a deficiency related to calmag, then to just do a low dosage of 1.5ml as a preventative measure during regular watering. So that's the approach I'm taking since I am using distilled water.
Yep thats what the nute guys told me to do with the cal/mag to counter the low ppm of my water. 650ppm is my high number throughout veg into flower, I’m goin a tad higher mid bloom then back it back down to finish. If I go over 650ppm in veg they don’t like it that was my DWC experience especially

Lilolme

Lilolme

Day 2 of Flower...

View attachment 1162475

View attachment 1162476

View attachment 1162477
View attachment 1162478View attachment 1162479View attachment 1162480
Another question, did you flush them yet? All my reading indicates a pre flower flush is a good thing to do

GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

Another question, did you flush them yet? All my reading indicates a pre flower flush is a good thing to do
Interesting, I've never heard of a pre-flower flush. Only heard of the flush at the end. I figured I would want to ride out the rest of the nutrients in the FF Ocean Forest soil I have in there.

7leafshuriken

7leafshuriken

I finally have some time here on a Monday morning to start my Grow Diary. Unfortunately, the diary will start a little late in the process as I am about 15 days into it, but my first post here will be a quick synopsis of my first 15 days. The following post will be my diary as of 15 days into the grow.

Working with two strains:
  • The One x Blue Moon Rocks Bx4​
  • Mazar x Guerrero IBL​
I germinated 3 of each. For the Mazar I went with the paper towel method. For The One, I planted seeds directly into the medium (for experimental purposes).

Of those 6, all three of the Mazar have sprouted, and only one of The One has sprouted. You will see in my photos that I have labeled the plants M1, M2, M3 for Mazar and B1 for The One.

My Set Up:
I went with the Vivosun set up as demonstrated by Mr Grow It on YouTube. Pretty mediocre set up, but I didn't want to go all out for my first grow. I also wanted something that I could follow along with as this was my first attempt. You can see the video here:

I have the set up in my office, which gives me a chuckle as I have Zoom meetings for my work throughout the day and the grow tent is in the background. I work in the corporate world. Don't worry, I use the Blur filter for my background 😁

Here is a few photos of the set up:
View attachment 1152784
View attachment 1152785
View attachment 1152786
How is the smell using this setup??
I’m looking to do pretty much the exact same setup but I gotta keep the scent to a minimum.

GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

How is the smell using this setup??
I’m looking to do pretty much the exact same setup but I gotta keep the scent to a minimum.
Its not too bad actually. I have the tent in my office which is upstairs in my house. You can definitely smell it in the office and if I leave the office door open the smell will creep out a bit. Otherwise if that door is closed I cant smell it at all upstairs.

I know the smell will intensify as I continue into the flower stage so ill have to update you later on that. But I bought a gallon container of Ona which I plan to use once the smell start creeping outside the office.

I let my wife typically be the judge of the smell because I spend all day in that room (its where I work but also stare at my plants all day) so I am not the best judge. Shes been good with it so far. Even had our mother in law stay over a night and she didn't smell a thing.

7leafshuriken

7leafshuriken

Its not too bad actually. I have the tent in my office which is upstairs in my house. You can definitely smell it in the office and if I leave the office door open the smell will creep out a bit. Otherwise if that door is closed I cant smell it at all upstairs.

I know the smell will intensify as I continue into the flower stage so ill have to update you later on that. But I bought a gallon container of Ona which I plan to use once the smell start creeping outside the office.

I let my wife typically be the judge of the smell because I spend all day in that room (its where I work but also stare at my plants all day) so I am not the best judge. Shes been good with it so far. Even had our mother in law stay over a night and she didn't smell a thing.
Did you buy the Vivosun kit? I’m wondering what kind of fan/size you have also?
thanks for the info, and your plants look awesome.
My mother in law comes by once a week so I have to keep the smell to pretty much nothing. The tent will be in a closet in the master bedroom, but my house is only 1 floor and not too big. I’m actually thinking of running a slightly larger fan to try make sure there’s no smell at all (idk if it would help).
Thanks again man!

GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

Did you buy the Vivosun kit? I’m wondering what kind of fan/size you have also?
thanks for the info, and your plants look awesome.
My mother in law comes by once a week so I have to keep the smell to pretty much nothing. The tent will be in a closet in the master bedroom, but my house is only 1 floor and not too big. I’m actually thinking of running a slightly larger fan to try make sure there’s no smell at all (idk if it would help).
Thanks again man!
I bought everything in pieces but yeah essentially I have the vivosun kit that you see on Amazon.

I dont think it would hurt if you upscale the fan/carbon filter. I have the 4 inch one from vivosun and it does the job. If you are on a one story house and let's say you open up the tent and the MIL comes over soon after...yeah the smell might be lingering. I exhaust my air out of a nearby window. I bought a portable AC window port to run the duct to.

I see lots of folks recommending this fan on this site: AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T6, Quiet 6” Inline Duct Fan with Temperature Humidity Controller - Ventilation Exhaust Fan for Heating Cooling Booster, Grow Tents, Hydroponics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XBXFP...abc_7570FZCWSAKXTRX9W29E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Definitely more money but I am guessing it's probably well worth it.

I mentioned that I also bought a gallon of Ona. I hear it works pretty well to mitigate the smell. But also heard you don't want to keep it in your grow room as it might impact the plants negatively. I keep mine right outside the door of my office.

I'll preface this again by saying I'm still early in flower so I dont know the full scale of the smell. I am pretty confident I can combat it though as it increases.

Lilolme

Lilolme

I bought everything in pieces but yeah essentially I have the vivosun kit that you see on Amazon.

I dont think it would hurt if you upscale the fan/carbon filter. I have the 4 inch one from vivosun and it does the job. If you are on a one story house and let's say you open up the tent and the MIL comes over soon after...yeah the smell might be lingering. I exhaust my air out of a nearby window. I bought a portable AC window port to run the duct to.

I see lots of folks recommending this fan on this site: AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T6, Quiet 6” Inline Duct Fan with Temperature Humidity Controller - Ventilation Exhaust Fan for Heating Cooling Booster, Grow Tents, Hydroponics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XBXFP...abc_7570FZCWSAKXTRX9W29E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Definitely more money but I am guessing it's probably well worth it.

I mentioned that I also bought a gallon of Ona. I hear it works pretty well to mitigate the smell. But also heard you don't want to keep it in your grow room as it might impact the plants negatively. I keep mine right outside the door of my office.

I'll preface this again by saying I'm still early in flower so I dont know the full scale of the smell. I am pretty confident I can combat it though as it increases.
My wifey gets dizzy and the sweet sweet smell is gonna get much stronger as things get closer to the end. I smell it all the time so I don’t really notice but a fresh nose can pick it up a mile away and may not enjoy it as much as we do

GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

Day 5 of Flower...

I think two of my plants are males. It might be too early to tell but I am seeing balls i think. I am going to keep an eye on them.

20210830 082805
20210829 134855

I am also questioning my humidity all the time now. I am unsure if I am in an acceptable zone. During the day, Temps average 74 degrees and RH averages about 50%. At night, Temps drop tp about 69 degrees and RH goes up to average of about 65%, but I've seen it creep up to 67%.

I am worried these levels of humidity would promote bud rot? I really have no idea. Air flow is great in the tent. Two oscillating fans above and below canopy and carbon filter unit is on full power.

I really don't want to break for an expensive dehumidifier. I am running two cheap ones in the lung room. Hopefully they can keep up.

Also, if those plants end up being male and I trash them, I am thinking that might help lower the humidity levels too.

Time will tell!

Lilolme

Lilolme

Day 5 of Flower...

I think two of my plants are males. It might be too early to tell but I am seeing balls i think. I am going to keep an eye on them.

View attachment 1163267View attachment 1163268

I am also questioning my humidity all the time now. I am unsure if I am in an acceptable zone. During the day, Temps average 74 degrees and RH averages about 50%. At night, Temps drop tp about 69 degrees and RH goes up to average of about 65%, but I've seen it creep up to 67%.

I am worried these levels of humidity would promote bud rot? I really have no idea. Air flow is great in the tent. Two oscillating fans above and below canopy and carbon filter unit is on full power.

I really don't want to break for an expensive dehumidifier. I am running two cheap ones in the lung room. Hopefully they can keep up.

Also, if those plants end up being male and I trash them, I am thinking that might help lower the humidity levels too.

Time will tell!
Dang sorry bud, those are lookin like nanners but a little more time will tell. Have you tried one of those damp rid buckets in the tent? Maybe 2 they are pretty cheap

GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

Dang sorry bud, those are lookin like nanners but a little more time will tell. Have you tried one of those damp rid buckets in the tent? Maybe 2 they are pretty cheap
Yeah I was looking into those. I am just hesitant to spend any sort of money on something that may not work. I've read somewhere that my humidity range might be acceptable if other conditions are good to go (e.g. air flow). I think basically that not having a RH of 40 to 50% isn't automatically a death sentence on its own and that its a host of other factors.

I am just trying to figure out if my environment would meet that or not.

If not I may just break for a real deal dehumidifier

Lilolme

Lilolme

Yeah I was looking into those. I am just hesitant to spend any sort of money on something that may not work. I've read somewhere that my humidity range might be acceptable if other conditions are good to go (e.g. air flow). I think basically that not having a RH of 40 to 50% isn't automatically a death sentence on its own and that its a host of other factors.

I am just trying to figure out if my environment would meet that or not.

If not I may just break for a real deal dehumidifier
Hopefully after this storm thing the humidity is supposed to go down. Last grow I was feedin the woodstove and had 3 little humidifiers goin to try to keep the humidity up.

GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

Day 7 of flower...

Looks like I have another female! Hooray!

20210901 152239

So far two of my 4 plants are females which I really happy about. Especially since they are one of each of the 2 strains I planted so I get to experience both!

The jury is still out on the other two but I am seeing signs of them being males, so my hopes aren't high.

Here are the photos of the 2 in question:
20210901 152817

20210901 152858

7 days down...approximately 53 to go..hopefully...I lack patience.

Lilolme

Lilolme

First pic is definitely nanners, I would bet the second is too. I almost didn’t see both hairs on the female scared me a little glad you’re gettin somewhere. I’ve got some bag seeds I wanna try out I’ll be pickin out males too I’m sure

Top Bottom