Gavita Pro 1000 + MASTER GreenPower Plus - worth it?

• Thread starter Simon Adebisi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Simon Adebisi

Simon Adebisi

In the last few days I've been reading up on the Gavita Pro 1000 & MASTER GreenPower Plus combo. From what I've read, they are able to deliver for light per watt than traditional HID systems.
Currently I've been using 1000w HPS. Would it be worth the investment for me to upgrade? I would do upgrade if yield would increase by a substantial amount.

N

noone88

After dropping thousands of dollars on hydro gear that now sits in the corners of various warehouses, I would recommend you make sure 1) climate (temp, humidity), 2) technique, and 3) nutrient schedules are dialed-in before spending more money on equipment.

Don't fall in for the must-have-new-gear hype. There are other things that a grower can improve on first.

derelict

derelict

good advice. master your skills before parting with your cash. you should be getting good results with 1000w hps if you're doing it right.

MysteryChild

MysteryChild

Buy as many as you can as quick as possible lol! Kidding
Def experiment with one and see the difference before going all in

T

toquer

Depending on the height of your location and your style...
With the 1000's you need both space between the plants and the lights as well between the light and the ceiling. 4 feet in both directions.
Wait for the 750's to go public in October or try the 600's over-volted.
Yes the light is better but at what cost?

NagaKing

NagaKing

Never realized so much space was needed with them.
4 feet in both directions, need a warehouse for that...

T

toquer

The lights are 500+ degrees. Above the reflector is close to 300. And this is with the 750's. The IR bounces all over the place in a small room. Turns it into a microwave almost. They're designed for greenhouses.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

36-42'' minimum between light and plant for gavita 1000 so 9-10'ft ceilings at minimum,quite a few folks reporting the gavita 600 SE bulbs performing as good or better than conventional 1000's so power savings is a good reason to go the 600 route.Check out @midwestdensies or @capulators threads.

hammerhead

hammerhead

Old Farmer
Supporter
I have been using them for over a year. I was using all vertical bare bulb. I'm now using Gavita, E-pap and vertical.. The yield has increased. The rooms environment is controlled . You need AC to use these. With good temp control you can bring the distance down to 20" above the canopy.. My rooms have a slanted ceiling from 8' to 10' I have them set at 9'. I love these lights cant say enough good things about them

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

The lights are 500+ degrees. Above the reflector is close to 300. And this is with the 750's. The IR bounces all over the place in a small room. Turns it into a microwave almost. They're designed for greenhouses.
Just get some super cooling going on and your golden.

T

toquer

Yes because AC power is cheaper than light power? Really? You thought about that before you posted it? Right?

hammerhead

hammerhead

Old Farmer
Supporter
I used AC before I even got these lights. Everyone is entitled to there opinion. I gave mine, he gave his.. I know a lot of people that use these lights.. The results speak for themselves.

Lumatek now makes there own 1000/600w ballast for 400v DE/SE bulbs

Last edited:
ronvmpc

ronvmpc

Was up T. Just recently dove into the gavita and am not looking back. My biggest mistakes were no AC and letting the plants get too tall as they burn hot and bright. Way better like coverage then my hps and boost in yield ( although my last run was my first time in a sealed room w/ CO2)

Like everyone says u buy a gavita u will most likely be buying an AC. In my opinion though the ends justify the means.

Buy one. You won't regret it.

I now have 2 and a 12k btu window air unit has been keeping the room at 75 deg and can go as low as the AC does and that's in 95 degree weather! Walls and door are insulated. I'm going back to 1 on a mover as I'm gonna start another room up as u can see in the pic. Now to get another mover....

Simon Adebisi

Simon Adebisi

Thanks for all the responses to my question!
Ok a lot to consider then. I did not know they caused such heat issues but it doesn't surprise me. Unit for unit, do they really generate that much more heat than 1000w HPS?

ronvmpc

ronvmpc

Ballast runs a lil cooler but has to stay in the room, and the bulb itself runs a lot hotter... I think but never really compared. Just remember u can't air cool a gavita as u prolly already know.

So to answer ur question and this is my opinion, yes they run a lot hotter.

green punk

green punk

Thanks for all the responses to my question!
Ok a lot to consider then. I did not know they caused such heat issues but it doesn't surprise me. Unit for unit, do they really generate that much more heat than 1000w HPS?
Ballast runs a lil cooler but has to stay in the room, and the bulb itself runs a lot hotter... I think but never really compared. Just remember u can't air cool a gavita as u prolly already know.

So to answer ur question and this is my opinion, yes they run a lot hotter.

I have been researching this a bunch. And have now came to the conclusion with help of farmers here, and sales reps from "the" distributors of the stores most of us will go to.... They "DE bulbs" can be ran with remote ballast set up. Which allows for a cooler room, instead of half ton per light of AC youre loking at more like 3500 to 4000 BTU per bulb (if not less). The set up pictured above is designed for green houses. I realize many are running them in grow rooms. Now the DE bulb can be ran with a variety of ballast's ( Galaxy turbo, Phantom, Lumatek, and of course the gavita pro) that have recently raised their game in order to power the 400v DE phillips and Ushio bulbs 2100 mol. And you don't need to use the dutch reflectors you can use Made in the USA fixtures or retrofit old tools namely the A wing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom