Gavita Pro Fixtures With A Solis Tek De Metal Halide Bulb?????

• Thread starter Big Brother
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
whazzup

whazzup

Hmm.. just came across this, not much time to spend on the forums nowadays ;)

I have just two problems with the Solistek MH DE lamps:

1. They are not ANSI /O lamps (so they are not suitable. or even legal in commercial operations, to be used in open fixtures)
2. They send them out to Gavita users, and the Pro-line ballasts are specifically made for HPS lamps ONLY!

It is actually a violation of the intended use as defined by Gavita and confirmed by CSA to use a non-suitable lamp in the Gavita fixture. Any damage that results from this use is not warranted by Gavita and, if fire is a result, not covered by your insurance as it was caused by inappropriate use. You also lose your Gavita warranty if you use these lamps.

Metal Halide lamps need to cool down about 10 minutes before re-firing, and Gavita Pro HPS ballasts do not have that time-out timer. So that could lead to a fatal failure of the lamp, as it is not a protected lamp. When a MH lamp ruptures, it does so explosive. MH lamps work under a much higher pressure and temperature than HPS lamps.

Now by all means use them in a air cooled closed reflector, with a MH ballast. But not in an open fixture for HPS lamps.

Another problem I have is with the spectrum that they promote on their site. Matt published a spectrum of their lamps in facebook, which is quite different than the spectrum on their site. The used to say that the lamps contain "the good upper part of UVC" - well, there is no good part of UVC. That spectrum though is still advertised on their site and many resellers still mention that "STK Lamps contain UVA-UVB and the upper portion of UVC". Try googling this phrase.

Just for the record, I wish everyone well and I see there is a market for CMH or MH, but just don't use them in a Gavita fixture (or most other HPS double ended fixtures just suitable for HPS). An no need to get nasty over it either ;)

DapperDon

DapperDon

Solis Tek has been one of the main bullshitters in this industry with their nonsense claims of bulb spectrums by showing their pretty looking graphs to sell bulbs for each phase of growth. Yet they never tell you how they come to those graphs and charts especially since they do not have a R&D department. But dammit if having 8 sets of bulbs doesn't make you feel like a better grower with all those spectrums just washing all over you.

Minkus

Minkus

If word from Gavita is that it'll violate the warranty, there's a reason as to why.

Worked with Solis Tek before, and to be perfectly honest - if there was a DE bulb that would work with the Gavita's, Gavita would be putting them out.

Just like PL Lights waited to put out their Single-Ended HSE NXT 1000W MH fixture before they'd worked the kinks out - all the components are intended to piece together to work properly. Once you start mucking it up by using an un-approved bulb, etc. you're going to run into trouble. Compatibility in any system is of the utmost importance - if it's Gavita's word vs. Solis Tek, I'd err on the side of caution and go with the luminaire manufacturer, not the bulb salesman.

DapperDon

DapperDon

Solis tried to run with a proprietary based system so you would have to buy their brand. Where they got screwed was that the upcoming LED & DE markets that were just around the corner and they put all of their eggs into that one multi spectrumed basket and bet on the wrong horse. Then they tried to hurry up and get into the LED market because they thought that was going to be the next big thing. Now they're into the DE tech and want you to buy their DE bulbs that are not approved and may be dangerous to run. These guys just seem to keep stepping on their dicks and I STILL have yet to see any full grows using just their tech.

Kdub

Kdub

I've been running a MH bulb in my Nano DE for a couple of months and it seems fine. Veg only so far. No exceptionally good or bad results. It works just like the included bulb and the plants seem to like it fine.

GrowSolutions

GrowSolutions

Grow Solutions
solis tek here....and this is the official account...no reason to bullshit. Please shoot any questions or play devils advocate here, and we will answer any questions reasonably. Our company lives on science not just hype or what is most profitable. I know that sounds a bit far fetched in today's marketplace, but it's the truth, we wouldn't take so much risk investing so much money in preaching something that we can't fully back up on. If we wanted to just make money why wouldn't we just invest in the same as everyone else, why go a different direction?? Bullshitters will be called out sooner or later, and we understand that. We want to be as transparent as possible with the end user, regardless of our short comings or what we really believe in.

C

cccplus

SOLIS TEK DOESN'T WORK THEY ARE SHIT!!!!

READ BELOW FOR REASONING.

I bought the solis tek 10K FINISHER
Step by step what happened
The product actully revived my dying plants. (no joke they were all yellow wilting and i put them in flower to early (yea i'm stupid big deal))
After about a week of running the 10k finisher 1 bulb died
Replaced bulb at hydro shop
1 day later a different bulb died
replaced bulb at hydro shop
2 days later another bulb died
replaced at hydro shop.
This happened for about 2 weeks straight while they were reviving
I basically replaced all my bulbs that i initially bought.
These bulbs do work (the UVC harm i don't know and can't say that they were harming me)
If you want to run to your hydroshop 4 times a week to replace the bulbs for 1 month until warranty is out go for it.
But from my experience these bulbs are NOT compatible with gravitas.

Solis Tek works with gavita BUT bulbs burn out within 2 weeks, and need to be replaced if not earlier.

Legitamite review, don't believe me go waste your time, not the time of this thread, and i'll show actually proof of purchase and return.

I forgot to mention 1 thing, I have 2 sets of gavitas, new version (without el1 bugs) and old version (with el1 bugs) (go search up the bugs i'm not going to explain that now)
The set that they worked on for about 1 week were the old version (with bugs)
The set that they instantly were blowing out on were the new set of gavitas (possible that solis tek used an old set of gavitas to do testing (unlkely but possible))

Now I am not 100% sure that my new set doesn't have bugs with the EL1 but i can say that the problems that my old set had with EL1 isn't present with the new set.

I'm being completely transparent as well, these are all the facts.

GrowSolutions

GrowSolutions

Grow Solutions
Whats up all, addressing the issue at hand here from cccplus - we had a batch of the double ended 10K metal halides that had a higher than usual failure rate, which has been addressed. The fact is our company stands behind our products and our lamps and the spectrum we provide is second to none. As cccplus mentioned, his plants reacted positively to the full balanced spectrum. PMing you now cccplus we will get you taken care of.

For those interested in running a double ended metal halide with a ballast that's suitable, we are releasing our SolisTek A1 soon, its our commercial all in one, without saying too much its a very exciting new product with many new features. If anyone ever has an issue please feel free to PM direct.

Thanks!

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
Well I am personally using my Gavita DE Fixture with the Solis Tek Metal Halide bulb for veg ..... I have a 12 light Nanoluxe DE for flowering at the same spot. Anyway, not sure why they said it wouldn't work, since it does. As far as I know Solis Tek is the only company making a Double Ended MH right now.... The Nanoluxe bulbs are having a high failure rate, but are being replaced with a newer version as they burn out, for free........ of course I wish they came with decent bulbs to begin with, and regret not getting Epaps or Gavitas to start with, but I am working with 9 foot ceilings and thought the extra foot afforded by the flat horizontal ballast of the Nanoluxe was better thanthe vertical designed Gavitas and Epaps.....

DapperDon

DapperDon

This is entirely an old method of thinking. Swapping out MH bulbs to HPS is yesterdays growing method and Solis Tek is still clinging on to yesteryear. Simply put, you do not swap out the bulb on the Sun, so why does it make sense to do so in your garden? The reason these DE systems are just crushing it is because you their bulbs are offering a full spectrum as opposed to the tech and growing limitations of the time. The whole marketing plan of Solis Tek is that you need to buy their entire series of "special" bulbs. I think it's a shitty plan that has them winding down the market share toilet bowl. There is no reason to use a DE MH bulb only to swap it out. None. Slap in the best full spectrum bulb your unit can handle and enjoy yourself.

sixstring

sixstring

@DapperDon do you really think these de hps lamps are full spectrum at 2100k ?would mixing those with a 6500k de not be better for plants say at a 2 to 1 ratio 2 hps to 1 mh? Because that was my plan for my next build

Top Bottom