Gavita Upgrade - remote or full fixtures?

• Thread starter MidniteGardener
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Would you go with remote ballasts or complete fixtures?

• Stick with SS Blockbusters and Lumatek (ain't broke so don't fix it)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
MidniteGardener

MidniteGardener

Ok guys, I've been reading a ton of threads over the past few months, and I'm having a hard time deciding what's best for my situation. My last upgrade was from a 4x4 tent with 1000w dimmable Lumatek in SS Blockbuster hood, to a 5x9 GGT and I added a 2nd Blockbuster hood.

I've been watching a lot of guys killing it with Gavita, so I feel like it's time to upgrade my lighting. My grow room is not that big, and since I'm in a tent I figure the Pro reflectors might be too intense because I can't raise them high enough. Personally, I'm leaning towards buying a couple of the Pro 1000 remote ballasts. That way I can use whatever reflector I want. I could dial it down and run the 600w Greenpower bulbs in my Blockbusters, then later on I could buy a double ended hood and not have to pay out for a whole new setup.

On the other hand, having 3x Pro 600 reflectors and a couple plasmas in between would be pretty badass. It just wouldn't allow the flexibility of the remote ballasts so I'd be stuck with buying all new if I wanted to upgrade later. Maybe the 6/750 DE flex fixtures are the answer, but I'm still drawn to the new Sun Systems DE Boss.

What say you, farmers?

deacon1503

deacon1503

No EMI with complete gavitas. Also depends on ur cooling sitch...sealed hoods or open bulbs.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

In a tent the pro 600's might be alot better choice,@Capulator has switched from standard 1000's to gavita 600 bare bulbs and is not seeing any loss in production last i saw him post.The gavita 1000s work best with 36 or more inches between the bulb and plants,good luck!

MidniteGardener

MidniteGardener

No EMI with complete gavitas. Also depends on ur cooling sitch...sealed hoods or open bulbs.

No EMI is definitely a point on the "Pros" column for the Gavita fixtures, but I can't say I've had a problem with RF interference with the Lumateks that I know of.

Right now I have air cooled hoods exhausting out of the room, and a separate 8" filter and exhaust fan. I have a 10k btu window AC in the room the tent is in, plus a 6" intake fan in the bottom of the tent. I don't have any problem keeping my temps around 75-78F right now with air cooled 1Ks, so I was thinking I can probably handle these open fixtures with good air circulation.

In a tent the pro 600's might be alot better choice,@Capulator has switched from standard 1000's to gavita 600 bare bulbs and is not seeing any loss in production last i saw him post.The gavita 1000s work best with 36 or more inches between the bulb and plants,good luck!

I will definitely have to go with the 600s if I use the Gavita fixtures. No glass and no air cooling means you get up to 10-15% more light, as long as I can keep my temps in check like I have so far. If I go that route I might as well get the 6/750 DE flex fixtures, since I'd have the option of bumping it up to 750w, plus the benefit of double ended bulbs.

Top Bottom