Gavitas On A Light Rail Question

• Thread starter rubthe nub
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rubthe nub

rubthe nub

Thinking about upgrading my lighting and using Gavita pro 1000 de's on a light rail.

Why a light rail, you ask?
I was told by local Hydro store guy that I can run the Gavitas 24" over the canopy "IF" I use the light rails. I don't have any personal experience with Gavitas so I'm hoping somebody here can give me an HONEST opinion on what they told me. I've read people having problems with the Gavitas being to close to the canopy so......

A few details
I'm running hydro system, ebb n flo. I run nets/trellis over the trays, scrog type deal.
Basement grow so only 7'6" of ceiling. 14 feet of "row" so I'm thinking 3 Gavitas on one rail.
I have AC covered. I'm currently running 3 1000's and 1 600 in the same area, so this would
a direct replacement for the current lighting.

The Terps

The Terps

That ceiling height is going to be a problem I would look into nanolux as there ballast can give you an extra 8" of ceiling height due to the position of ballast. With enough air flow you could get away with that 24" from canopy. However with that said you might burn your plants at that height I don't use light rails but I know some ppl have problems at that height and some don't. Why not look into getting the gavita de 600/750?

waayne

waayne

@rubthe nub you need more than 7' 6" of ceiling height to run 1000 watt Gavitas,even with the light rail..
Unless you plan on growing plants that are only 24"- 28" tall The Terps is right on point,check out the 600/750 Gavitas

The Terps

The Terps

I'm just in a posting mood this morning so I'm going to keep it rolling. On my next build out unless I built 11ft plus ceiling hight I would be going with nanos. I have 10ft right now with gavitas and many times I've thought that 12 ft would be extra nice.

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

@The Terps That's what I've seen or read 32" or problems with burning and/or bleaching.
I'll check out the recommended lights, I appreciate the replies.

On a side note, I still find it hard to believe a 600 would be an even swap for my 1000's
Or would I just need to go 4 and closer spacing?

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

Just looked at the nanolux I can see the height gain terps mentioned
Same "foot print" on them 600 as you were getting from your 1000's
I was hoping for an increase in yield or quality:cool: hence the "upgrade"....... lol

The Terps

The Terps

I think with that at 14ft rows 3 lights a row would be perfect on 750 setting. So a couple of things to point out.
New lights are cool but if my environment wasn't perfect yet I would spend my cash on getting that dial in.
I would expect to yield the same with a 600/750 de as I would with a se 1000 plus or minus 15%.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is if you already have a perfectly controlled room you could produce the as you are now with less electrical consumption.

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

Thanks
I've seen a couple of your grow logs @waayne ,nice work

The Terps

The Terps

Also if it ain't broke don't fix it I say but you won't catch me trading in my de for se anytime soon that's for sure but it sounds like your shop really just wants to move some gavitas.

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

Thanks @The Terps
Not sure if it's "perfect" but I do alright :cool:

The Terps

The Terps

Ya for sure I just wouldn't spend 2k on that guy's opinion. I'm not saying that it can't work if executed properly it may work as i do know of an 8 ft grow with 1000 gavitas zip tied to the roof and he has problems they are 7 gal pots just sitting on the floor. I work at a shop in nor cal and if I told one of my customers that all the guys I work with would give me a hard time forever!

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

@The Terps hence my post here. Hell, if I listened to everything them guys have told me I'd be broke by now.

I'm still checking out them nanolux's that extra 6-8" could make a huge difference for me, in my room.
I also saw those Gavita 1000's have a 600 and 750 setting so maybe I can play with the settings and get it dialed in nice.
I like the idea of saving some cheddar on the power bill though, lights would pay for themselves just with that over time.

The Terps

The Terps

The 1000 watt nano and gavita will still use the same power imput I believe you can only adjust out put so it's best to buy the right light for the job IMO.

P

Pimples

Light rails (and light arms like the old school Sun Circle) have been around FOREVER. Ive used them... many have. Unless you got a very specific purpose for them. And a very specific application...save your cash and buy another lamp because they arent all that. They are ok at best for moving just a couple feet but if your trying to use them in place of light.(or get light closer) or shoot them across a long track of canopy..where one half the crop will be shaded even for a couple seconds or minutes..this is exactly how you dont use them. Maybe in veg or for moms...maybe. Where its not so critical..but I and many growers have been down the pricey light rail gig...and were sorely dissappointed. Only for very specific applications would i suggest a light rail. Buyer beware. Double ended lamps are the bees knees though. If you have the clearance for them. They are the powerhouses and meant for serious growers who dont fuck around. Air conditioning is mandatory. They get hot. But they kick ass. Giving more bud for the same price as equivalent wattage from a traditional single ended HID lamp. But again...light rails??? Theres a reason why not many use them. They arent really talked about. And you dont see or hear about them kicking ass in all the awesome growrooms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom