General Hydro GH 3-part shelf life....4 years??

• Thread starter snowkitty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

snowkitty

Been working in a garden that is scrapping together everything from left over parts. Running drain to waste hydro. Had a lot of left over Advanced Nutrients...partial bottles here and there...so I was using AN Sensi Grow 2-part.

Made an interesting discovery which is that AN HAS INDEED changed their 2-part formula to be much more stable. When I started using the partial bottles of AN that were purchased in late 2008 or early 2009 (as opposed to ones I bought in 2010), after 3-5 days, there is a precipitation in the reservoir. This is drain to waste so it is from nothing else but the AN nutrients that were stable for the first 3 days and then started producing sediment.

Decided to scrap any leftover bottles of AN. THe new stuff worked great but the old AN formula definitely does not last more than 5 days without elements precipitating out and a nutrient deficiency showing up in the plants (looks like iron is getting locked out).

So now I have some BIG JUGS of General Hydroponics Flora 3-part Grow Micro Bloom. They have been sitting in a garage for 4 years. Not exposed to light. BUt also not climate controlled. They look fine with no sediment.

Are there any known reasons that the GH 3-part nutes should not survive 4 years?

P

pikes peak 69

Hello Snowkitty,

I think if you shake it good it would be ok. I've used GH 3part that was about 2 1/2 years old with no problems.
I would also think that if there would be problems they should have put a "use by date" on it.

But then again what do I know.LOL

pp69

fractal

fractal

GH 3 part is incredibly stable, unless you see things precipitated out of the solution it should be ok.

For a good and cheap grow nutrient I just switched from GH to CNS17 from botanicare. Wouldn't use a cheap fertilizer for blooming, but it kicks ass when used for vegging. Really produces big fuzzy roots, and it's a one part.

S

snowkitty

Nice to see you guys and thanks for the help! Things look fine after making one big batch. Now we'll see if the girls start looking happier on GH.

So I figured out the answer to my old question from a year ago. Yes, there are actually scientific changes in the new and improved AN formula.

BUT

I would hardly call that new and improved. I would call the old Sensi formulation fucked up. I used to get precipitation problems when I was running it but I always thought it was my own error or something in my hydroton recirculating. Now I know that there is a reason I got so frustrated trying to use the old AN Sensi. Thanks for improving your product so it works guys.

Top Bottom