Generator info

• Thread starter markscastle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I`m looking at power generators for my 50 x 80 foot shop and have to admit I don`t know enough about them. I`ve found a 20kw propane powered one for $3,000 and a deisel 30kw one for $2,000.00. both have low hours between 400 and 600. I want to be able to run a full set up with up to 20+ lights off the grid. Which generator would cost less to run and operate? Will I be able to run lumatec electronic ballasts with a generator? They were both used as hospital backup generators.I`m going to have an electrition do the wiring up of these beasts they are both very large units. I think the deisel one is made by Cat. I also would like enough power to also run a 30 amp line to my travel trailor as well so I can be all off the grid.

S

smokestack23

I'm not an electrician but...I'd go with the diesel obviously and probably so would everyone else I'm sure. 30KW (at how many amps?) isn't a whole lot though for that size of room.

I don't imagine either way will be cheap and hauling and storing fuel won't be a whole lot of fun either.

Again though...I say the diesel. Too bad propane isn't as cheap as it used to be. I run a vehicle on propane and while it IS cheaper than gas right now, my buddy tells me that he remembers it being like 3 cents a litre like 20 years ago. now THAT would be SWEET!!!

The diesel will be more heavy duty probably and probably last longer. It also has more power and that sounds like a steal! Frick...they both are...get em both if you can.

ncga

ncga

The propane will run cleaner but cost a lot more to run. Make sure you have an approved way to get rid of the oil from your oil changes. If in Cali you want to have a proper pad for it to sit on. No diesel or oil spills onto bare ground.

BE careful of your hours of operation. Even way out in the woods the sound of a genny running 24/7 will travel and annoy for miles.

nc

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Not sure about total amps they can put out but both come with 200 amp boxes and power lines. I plan on running mostly 220 volt and have flip-flops if I need it but would have to run coil and core ballasts for sure if I use the flip flops. Noise isn`t a problem here out on the farm as it is miles to the next house.I plan on recycling the old oil and have 55 gal drums to put it in.

I won`t need all the lights anyway just want it set up so I could use it for bud grows if I deside to at some point.I only plan on doing seed/breeding grows and won`t need to run that many lights.If I want there is another shop I could also set up after I make some money.It`s half again as big as the other one and has two 200 amp meters,natural gas,comercial septic and 130 gpm well and comercial pump. The shop I`m working on has only a 90 gpm well and 20 amp line. I run my trailor and a single light off the 20 amp line and there isn`t enough power left to run a micro wave let alone my trailor`s air conditioner this summer. Oh I can get deisel fuel delivered for almost half the normal rate because it`s not taxed for ag use I gess so that will help some,MMJ is ag work isn`t it? Anyway the old farmer said it is as far as he is conserned.

The other shop is full of parts to very large commercial greenhouses he used to use years ago on the farm and he`s talking about having me put them back up but I don`t know what I`d do with that much weed if I did! Hell the market is so flooded as it is in Cali! He said they would take up the better part of three acres!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
F*@k! I have the place almost set up,just need the generator and now they want an unrealistic raise in rent! Glade I haven`t got the generator yet! Time to start taking the whole thing back down an look for an other opertunity. It would take me months before any money would be seen. Greedy People everywhere! Lets see how much money they make off there old shed now!

S

smokestack23

Well that blows donkey balls. At least you werent in the middle of flower or something.
Did it go up THAT much? Maybe just bite the bullet for 2 months?
Either way, good luck.

P

primeform

you would also need to think about things like getting alot of fuel to it. prolly better that it didnt work out. look for an opportunity on the grid our outside eh?

Top Bottom