Generator not powering 1000W

• Thread starter 500lbs Guerilla
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

Well the storms are here and the power has been out for 2 days now. I have a brand new 5000W running generator to run only 2 of my 8 lights to keep from interrupting the light cycle. I can plug in a 600W and 400W MH bulbs at the same time at 120V, but it fails to power a single 1000W HID at 120V. Any ideas? I'm wondering if I should spend the money on a 240V extension cord to see if that works for the 1000W.

H

hailo

Well the storms are here and the power has been out for 2 days now. I have a brand new 5000W running generator to run only 2 of my 8 lights to keep from interrupting the light cycle. I can plug in a 600W and 400W MH bulbs at the same time at 120V, but it fails to power a single 1000W HID at 120V. Any ideas? I'm wondering if I should spend the money on a 240V extension cord to see if that works for the 1000W.

I think its having trouble with the amperage not the wattage. Im almost certain the 240 output will run the 1k.

P

Pot Boy

Yes it will run 1k like stated above its an amp issue not watts..

convex

convex

A bunch of long extension cords from the genny will contribute to line loss - get your genny as close to your ballast as practical.

Cheers

t.o.med

t.o.med

is your 1000w a digi ? if so you cant use them with generators.

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

Would it be due to the length of the wire? The 1000 is on the only outlet on a 20 amp receptacle, plugged through a 25' extension cord rated for 15 amps. The ballast should only be drawing about 9.1 amps. The only other things plugged in are 8 T12 shop lights for a total of 3 amps, and thats on a separate 20 amp receptacle. I noticed that the breaker sometimes flips when I plug something in, but not every time, even if its something little like my laptop. Also, I've yet to purchase a copper wire to ground the generator. I don't know of anybody that grounds their generators for their ballasts, but NEC code does require it. Could that have anything to do with it?

t.o.med - the ballasts are all magnetic.

R

Rolln J

I have a 13 amp 2000 watt Honda genny - been switching between running a 1k magnetic a 600 digi with no problems while running the 600 cfm exhaust and an oscillating fan - also running my tv/cable and my pellet wood burning stove - the genny ramps up but never overloaded...

only thing I noticed is the vent fan drags a little

why wouldn't a generator run a digi? had no issues with my cheapy htg supply 600...

running at 240 reduces the amp load - but shit with 5000 watts you should be able to fire a 1000...

I think there is something wrong with your genny - I was running my 100 through a 50 foot cord also...

in the last week my power has been out a total 30+ hours - had 2 trees on my property uproot from that crazy wind (saw one of them go this morning right after the power went out - lost tin on my barn and back porch roofs and watched my neighbors shed blow across the road - was intense - cant believe the old miners shack on my back lot is still standing!

J

Jalisco Kid

What is your voltage? If your rpm is off is will change the hertz which could effect your lights. JK

B

Budhog

I have a 13 amp 2000 watt Honda genny - been switching between running a 1k magnetic a 600 digi with no problems while running the 600 cfm exhaust and an oscillating fan - also running my tv/cable and my pellet wood burning stove - the genny ramps up but never overloaded...

only thing I noticed is the vent fan drags a little

why wouldn't a generator run a digi? had no issues with my cheapy htg supply 600...

running at 240 reduces the amp load - but shit with 5000 watts you should be able to fire a 1000...

I think there is something wrong with your genny - I was running my 100 through a 50 foot cord also...

in the last week my power has been out a total 30+ hours - had 2 trees on my property uproot from that crazy wind (saw one of them go this morning right after the power went out - lost tin on my barn and back porch roofs and watched my neighbors shed blow across the road - was intense - cant believe the old miners shack on my back lot is still standing!

Hope all is well. We had the 60+ mph too. And lotsa flooding.

Those old miners knew how to build!

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

So I've grounded the generator and the breaker has stopped tripping. I think it had to do with the outlets being GFCI combined the weather being damp and stormy. I can now run a 400W MH for my mothers and a 600W conversion bulbs at the same time in to keep the veg room going, plus 360W of fluoros and a dsl router + laptop, but I still can't power a single 1000W HPS for the flower room. The ballast just sounds too quiet when I plug it in. I'm still well under 80% of the maximum amperage. I've noticed also that when powering the 400 and 600, the lights take a few seconds longer to start up. Maybe I just have to let the 1000 sit and warm up with the generator? I don't want to damage the ballast by underpowering it for too long.

I've had to throw the flowers outside in the rain in order to keep them roughly 12/12 (more like 10/14), but the temps are getting pretty low out there, not to mention they normally sleep during the day...

Yup the storms are crazy over here too. El Nino in full effect. 4.5" of rain yesterday and trees are taking out power lines all over the place. Roads are flooding and people living too close to rivers are being forced to evacuate. I had a branch come down and take out a line at my house too. Luckily it was only going to a motion sensor light.

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

What is your voltage? If your rpm is off is will change the hertz which could effect your lights. JK

The voltage is 120V and the generator runs at 3600 rpm at 60 Hz. It powers everything else just fine, just not a 1000W ballast. I'm using about 13 out of 30 available amps. 9 on one 20 amp receptacle, and 4 on another 20 amp receptacle. The main breaker on the generator is 30 amps.

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

The power finally came back on so no real update. I did manage to get a different 1000W to work at 120V, but only if I plugged it directly into the generator. I figure its either the cord length to the room (I need at least 25ft), which shouldn't be an issue since I can run a 600W and a 400W ballast at the same time in a separate room only a few feet closer, or an issue with the cord between the ballast and the extension cord. The ballasts are automatic dual voltage, and I'm 99% sure the cords I dug up are 120V cords (I have separate 240V cords for the different outlets on my 50A timer). That would be embarassing. The solution then would be to buy a 240V generator extension cable. Otherwise, I'm still stumped. I'll post an update when I get around to testing the cables, or if I find myself experimenting with another power outage

Top Bottom