Generic Dual arc bulbs?

• Thread starter Mystre.Pharmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bobby Smith

Tesseract - sorry bout that, I can definitely see how the first line wasn't needed (although it wasn't meant in the way it seems you interpreted it) - was just trying to answer the OP's original question (or what I understood it to be) of "are the generic bulbs comparable to the brand name bulbs"; regardless, my apologies - no offense was intended.

Sky High - thanks for that - I'm gonna keep on looking, but at this point I'm thinking a 600MH that can be hung vertically is akin to a pink unicorn - if I find one, I'll post a link to it in this thread.

EDIT: BTW Tesseract, I've used "cheapo" bulbs for forever and have had zero issues (I've splashed them with water, hot started them hundreds of times, and done just about everything possible to fuck them up and never had one burst/break on me) - it seems as though you agree that the bulbs are identical save that you think that your more expensive bulbs are somehow more "rugged", so I'm saying that my anecdotal evidence does not support your hypothesis.

sky high

sky high

Are you using conversions now, bobby?

EDIT: Dopey me shoulda read closer..... what about something like this, bobby?

K

kuz

Good info Sky, have you used the plantmax? Seems somebody bypassed a middle man with those lights, the 1000 watt dual arc sells anywhere from $79 to $179.

sky high

sky high

I haven't, kuz. No endorsements from here...just trying to share what limited knowlwedge I have on the topic.

s h

B

Bobby Smith

OP, my apologies in advance cuz this is kinda off-topic:

Sky High, I have only run my system for about a day or two (brand new crazy PVC thing - here's a pic) because I was rushing to get it setup before I went to Europe for two weeks but then decided it wasn't worth the risk of coming home to a flooded house or fire, so killed those 90 clones and am taking more today.

Bought a $1K custom vertical cooltube (4L600 from Octagon Hydroponics - ) and my plan is to (starting from the bottom) run HPS-Dual-Dual-HPS.

I've fired them all up bare bulb (which was my plan from the start but AC couldn't keep up) and they worked fine until the surge protector tripped.

That was a long-winded way of saying "kind of", and I will be full-fledged running them in 10-14 days when the clones today go into the system.

I attached pics of the lighting configuration, PVC thingy, a close up of a dual arc, and my light meter.

EDIT: Sky, thanks for that link - I'm gonna try the HPS/Dual Arc combo for this run (already went over budget by several K for this run) and then I'm gonna do all kinds of lighting tests once I get the system dialed in.

I've actually heard shitty things about those conversion bulbs, but unfortunately I think that may be all that's available to me in a vertical 600MH.

Of course, planning to try 4 1Ks (the tube will fit them) running 2 at a time on a flip flop in the near future (I like fucking around with my setup, obviously) so I might hold off on the MH test until then.

Decisions, decisions.

10510 006
92810 013
92810 021
92810 023
sky high

sky high

Just so the info i provided is correct..... i searched and found this:

Operating Position or Burn Position
Mercury and High Pressure Sodium lamps may be operated in any burn position and will still maintain their rated performance specifications. Metal Halide and Low Pressure Sodium lamps, however, are optimized for performance in specific burn positions, or may be restricted to certain burn positions for safety reasons.

U = Universal burning position
HBU = Horizontal -15º to Base Up
HBD = Horizontal +15º to Base Down
HOR = Horizontal ±15º
H45 = Horizontal to -45º only
VBU = Vertical Base Up ±15º
VBD = Vertical Base Down ±15º
If no special burn position is noted, the burn position is universal.

taken from here:

I hope that system works out well for ya, bobby! FWIW, I have had good luck with 600 conversions....as good a luck as with >ANY< HID lamp.....

good luck all

s h

T

Tesseract

Tesseract - sorry bout that, I can definitely see how the first line wasn't needed (although it wasn't meant in the way it seems you interpreted it) - was just trying to answer the OP's original question (or what I understood it to be) of "are the generic bulbs comparable to the brand name bulbs"; regardless, my apologies - no offense was intended.

Sky High - thanks for that - I'm gonna keep on looking, but at this point I'm thinking a 600MH that can be hung vertically is akin to a pink unicorn - if I find one, I'll post a link to it in this thread.

EDIT: BTW Tesseract, I've used "cheapo" bulbs for forever and have had zero issues (I've splashed them with water, hot started them hundreds of times, and done just about everything possible to fuck them up and never had one burst/break on me) - it seems as though you agree that the bulbs are identical save that you think that your more expensive bulbs are somehow more "rugged", so I'm saying that my anecdotal evidence does not support your hypothesis.

No worries Bobby, it is I who interpreted the text wrong.

What you say can work the other way around. If you have used less expensive bulbs forever, then are you sure, side by side, they are creating the exact same yield?

Once again, I have used many bulbs. From no names, so general lighting, to horticultural specific bulbs. With that said, we can both deduct that I have real world results as well. I mentioned before that cost does not always effect performance. Some "cheapo's" I have used were great! Some burn out, and some performed to a lower standard then others. Since no name cheapo bulbs are abound, unless you can find the same trustworthy retailer with that bulb, then taking a chance become somewhat of an issue and that is unacceptable in my garden.
We usually find what works and what works well for us and stick to it. My local store stocks Hortilux's by the droves, and many growers like them. I am simply using them as a measure of quality and less stress by means of what I know works every time with extremely accurate results.

Now, that doesn't mean I won't make a switch if someone comes along with a light system light mine and drops some info on a better alternative. If you would, maybe post some cheapo bulbs that you have found to work great and are reliable with a C.A.P. nextgen ballast. I like the enhanced spectrum, but have also ran many grows with the good ol' orange glow!

Its not that I was referring to the bulbs specifically as being always more rugged with the more $$$ you spend, but we usually see this is instruments such as meters, timers, and a lot more based on the quality of build and materials.

T

O

OldSchool

LifeTime of HPS

Question,
I came across an article sometime back,where a university performed a study showing HPS bulbs only lose 10% of power output including light specturm during it whole life of operation. (been trying to refind it)One of my HPS bulbs Ive had 6yrs,get used routinely every 3 to 4 months, with good overall response from my plants.

The dual bulb somes pretty promising, so is the total lums equal to a reg 1000watt or does the 400mh and 600hps act independently (as in the penatration) Would like to see a side by side comparision with ceramic or the new plasma bulbs.
Thank You-Peace

Top Bottom