germinateing the seeds but not growing afterwards..

• Thread starter mikeb437
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mikeb437

mikeb437

germinated 4 seeds ( 2 at a time,,) planted the first 2 in rockwool and used old nutrients from 15 years ago.. nothing happened. next 2 seeds went into miraclegrow topsoil and those never grew.. what can i be doing wrong? never had this problem before.. bought these seeeds online last year.. all of them germinated,, just never gew after popping.. any thoughts?

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Why were you giving seeds any nutrients?

When you say they germinated do you mean they popped and a little root came out or they just split open?

Did you keep the soil moist when you planted them?

Z

zappafan99

Why were you giving seeds any nutrients?

+1. You may be burning those little guys up. I also would recommend throwing out nutrients 15 yrs old. Miracle gro soil has nutes in it. If you look at a bag of seedling starter mix you'll find it has no nutes in it for this very reason. That little seed comes with its on nutrients built in. Too little moisture equals dried up plants. Too much water equals root rot and no oxygen for the roots. That is the reason for all the posts about soil mixes....drainage vs. water retention.

mikeb437

mikeb437

by germinated, i meant they popped open and a tiny white root started coming out. when i put them in the rockwool cubes, i figured it need some nutes because rockwool doesnt carry any. the other seeds i put into the topsoil and kept it nice and moist. i didnt use added nutes to the topsoil,, just water when needed. i have grown weed before and havent had these problems..

B

budmonger

Did you pre soak the rock wool what PH was it at and personally i dont use nutes at all untill the 4th node then hit them very slowly,be well.Peace and stay safe...budmonger

mikeb437

mikeb437

didnt presoak the rockwool.. gonna try another 4 seeds . when they sprout, ill put them into topsoil and see what happens.. thanks guys..

F

farmerjohn

I've got my own headache with seeds right now. Started a grow log for 20 Haze seeds I had & here a week later I have one viable seedling, one that may be okay, a dozen of them dead & gone & 7 still sitting in the dirt, while I wait for them to sprout. Unusual to me, for the same reason you have stated. I never have these troubles, it seems. Well, I got 'em now! Good luck on the next attempt. Hope they all pop & all but one is female!

420haze

Successfully Popping

Seeds themselves store enough nutrients to pull through the first couple of weeks. I would definitely lay off the nutes. Try using reverse osmosis water it tends to be neutral in PH. In most cases tap water is good enough. I would also make sure they aren't being suffocated by either too much water or the substrate. Indirect light, oxygen, n moisture is all you need to start off.

C

CanadianClassic

Maybe you planted the seedlings upside down,lol,did that myself once maybe you planted them too deep many factors could contribute to your following peril its too hard to give a definitive answer on the info givin,how did u store the year old seeds?

Good luck with the ladies!!!

R

Rudedude

I've been growing for many, many years and just within the last year or so I figured out that I wasn't planting the seeds deeply enough. For about 30 years I had been planting beans about a quarter inch deep with the root tail pointing down etc and I had problems with seeds growing upside down, not shedding their husks, drying out or damping off because I had to rewater because the soil on top of the container dried out now I plant them at least a half inch deep and I encounter none of those problems. Just water the container once when you plant the seed and then don't water again until the container feels light when you lift it. It might take a while for the seed to pop, be patient and don't water until it needs it, it probably won't need water until it's an established seedling. Don't worry if the top of the medium appears dry, if the container feels heavy there is still plenty of moisture down where your bean was planted. I've prolly started at least a hundred beens since I started planting seeds between a half and three quarters of an inch deep and I've had 100% success with zero husks left on the babies and no dead seedlings from damping off, everyone of them has popped up nice and straight reaching for the sun. I use a pencil to poke my holes, I stick the eraser end in the soiltil the lil metal band is covered, I just measured one and it's actually pretty close to an inch. Don't worry about which way the tap root is growing, just drop it in the hole and it will grow straight up. Fill the lil hole, water and don't water again til it needs it and that might be two or three weeks. The bean should sprout in within about a week but don't lose patience, sometime it takes a lil longer. Whatever you do, don't over water the lil sprout, damping off is one of the major cause of seedling death. Sometimes you want to do something in your garden to feel constructive, that's when I've done the most damage, lol. Once it's planted the best and hardest thing you can do for it is to be patient and leave it alone

hubcap

hubcap

Seeds themselves store enough nutrients to pull through the first couple of weeks. I would definitely lay off the nutes.

yep. my guess is you burned em up, farmer mikeb.. presoaking rockwool with nutes, imvho, is more for pH adjustment, than feeding. i see no need to presoak rockwool [with nutes.] some swear by it, but, in all honesty, from seed, a seedling has enough stored food for a week (or more), so no need to presoak with nutes...
if you really feel a need to presoak with nutes, id recommend a real weak dose, pHd around 6.3.
again, just one opinion in a sea of many.

Try using reverse osmosis water it tends to be neutral in PH.

rain water, if it actually rains by you, is a great source of water to use. by me, its actually slightly acidic, which is actually beneficial , because, plants tend to perform better in mediums with slightly more acidic conditions........ in short you dont want a 7pH (neutral) when growing MJ. especially in soilless.

-cap

U

USER UNKNOWN

presoak rockwool in 5.5ph'd water, then put popped seeds in point down and take a little corner off the rockwool to cover the hole. Stick it under a flouro or cfl and you should have a sprout in a couple days. NO NUTES NEEDED FOR SEEDS!

j wizzle

j wizzle

same as user unknown.... rockwool cubes, i dont even PH it (tap is 7.0), and all my seeds germ just fine. tap water works just fine, no nutes. the seeds have the nutes needed until roots are good and healthy. then slowly add nutes

i usually wait a good 2 weeks before i add anything other than water.

B

BuBBleboy

I popped a bunch of beans recently and grabbed a bag of soil with a great N-P-K set up for vegging clones with root systems in a hurry locally. I was going to go get coco, but i couldn't at the time and i burnt them. I went from 18 to 6 that are ok, but a little burnt. I was feeding them a mild mix of great white and molasses, and I don't know if it is a good idea to do this either? Once I switch over to coco, should i used that set up to help with the roots or is it too much?

thanks for any input!

Top Bottom