Germinating Refrigerated Seeds

• Thread starter Minitiger
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Minitiger

Minitiger

Okay, y'all, I've looked all over the farm to find info on this, but didn't come across anything re: germinating seeds that have been being stored in the fridge. Looked on the Internet, too, and came across some pretty wacky methods that didn't seem right to me (planting them in the medium and then putting them in the fridge was one that struck me as particularly, uh, dumb haha).

I like to plant straight into the dirt, no shot glasses, no paper towels, none of that stuff. It seems to me that taking a seed that's been in the fridge for a while and then planting it straight into the dirt might be.... I dunno.... Counter-productive? Should I just let the seeds I plan to sprout sit out like on the kitchen counter or something for a few hours and then plant them? It seems like I ought to let them "warm up" a bit before I put them in the dirt, but like I said, I really don't know. I've always had 100% success rate just planting them in the dirt, but I've also never used seeds that have been stored in the fridge before (obviously).

So yeah, if anybody knows, feel free to chime in.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Okay, y'all, I've looked all over the farm to find info on this, but didn't come across anything re: germinating seeds that have been being stored in the fridge. Looked on the Internet, too, and came across some pretty wacky methods that didn't seem right to me (planting them in the medium and then putting them in the fridge was one that struck me as particularly, uh, dumb haha).

I like to plant straight into the dirt, no shot glasses, no paper towels, none of that stuff. It seems to me that taking a seed that's been in the fridge for a while and then planting it straight into the dirt might be.... I dunno.... Counter-productive? Should I just let the seeds I plan to sprout sit out like on the kitchen counter or something for a few hours and then plant them? It seems like I ought to let them "warm up" a bit before I put them in the dirt, but like I said, I really don't know. I've always had 100% success rate just planting them in the dirt, but I've also never used seeds that have been stored in the fridge before (obviously).

So yeah, if anybody knows, feel free to chime in.

I am not a grower yet but i woukd not store them in the Fridge unless i had them in a vacuum.

Fridges are moist enviroments, and I think moisture would ruin the seeds.

Dunge

Dunge

I kept my seeds in their lil bags inside a mason jar in the fridge.
As far as warming them, will make absolutely no difference. The seeds will warm to room temps either way with no problems.
Remember to let the bag warm up before opening it or all the cold seeds that do not get selected will get coated in condensation.

Not much, but when we are talking long term storage any moisture accumulation can be a problem.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Remember to let the bag warm up before opening it or all the cold seeds that do not get selected will get coated in condensation.

Not much, but when we are talking long term storage any moisture accumulation can be a problem.
The moisture in the Fridge and condensation when removing fron the fridge was my concern

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Seed banks that can store seeds in a cooled environment (temp and humidity controlled) always do. I don't think I know a breeder who *doesn't* store their seeds in the fridge, always with some sort of desiccant and I personally always always ALWAYS say NEVER RICE! I've lost seeds of which the hulls that keep the embryo intact were abraded off by the rice. Cornstarch is better, or one of those little sachets.

I believe modern refrigerators remove a good bit of moisture from the cooling box, thus the need for produce drawers, that allow a higher humidity.

http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-support-search-content?contentId=19186

BudBogart

BudBogart

Never thought of that. Thanks, I'll watch that in the future.

cocoJoe

cocoJoe

I use rice but never let it touch seeds.. Breeder packs or small plastic bags or tiny screw cap vials,, then sounded by rice..
It works for decade plus storage.. :)
ccJ

outnin

outnin

yup canna seeds are able to withstand cold winters so you should be good. any that do sprout will be resistant to cold so thats helpful. good luck

Top Bottom