germination in peat pellets

• Thread starter nmunkie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

nmunkie

Seemd like the easiet and cheapest option for me and seems to work fine, but I will be wanting to move into 10-12" pots for most of the veg then flowering Im thinking. Already im thinking the mesh around the peat pellet will need to be removed before transplant, am I right?

Im planning on only 4 plants under 600w dual spectrum in pots with B&Q JI number 2 and 3 mixes, but have no idea what nutes I will need, Im trying to keep the grow as simple as possible so any advice will be much appreciated.

diyJunkie

diyJunkie

Already im thinking the mesh around the peat pellet will need to be removed before transplant, am I right?
Nope, they make it easy for you and you can plant the whole pellet :)
Im planning on only 4 plants under 600w dual spectrum in pots with B&Q JI number 2 and 3 mixes, but have no idea what nutes I will need, Im trying to keep the grow as simple as possible so any advice will be much appreciated.

Do you have any info on what nutes are in those composting mixes? From there we can help you more.

N

negative 1

personally, if your gonna use the pellets, id remove the mesh, i know roots are strong but why make them push through mesh and soil? they rip off real easy. i would save the pellets for cloning hough and start in a cup of distilled water for 24 hours or until they start to crack slightly and put them in your mix, i'm still new to the site so take it for what it's worth but post count don't aways mean experience, some people are still relativley new to the net. sad to say in this day and age.

nutes are real personal choices do you want to grow organic? or non?maybe vegan? i'm not familiar with the mixes listed so the question may be answered already, one thing i recommend is colossal bud blast, a lil expensive but damn bring on the frost.
this of course is all my opinion and each grower will do it different. all i can say is if your gonna keep going with it after this grow,invest in the future and you will get a quicker happier, healthier harvest. don't skimp where it counts.
negative 1

N

Nuglover

A plant can push a root through solid concrete. Any plant, even a new seedling will have absolutely no trouble pushing roots through that mesh.. It makes no difference whether you remove the mesh or not. Just will be messier if you do. I personally like Rapid Rooters. They are less messy and hold moisture better than jiffy pucks.:)JMO

R

Rural_GrowOp

Leave the mesh on. The roots have no problem getting through it and nuglover is right its a frickin mess removing it. I have been using them for a year now and have never had any problems with em.

N

negative 1

it's just my opinion fellas i understand a roots growing power but at that stage of development what harm can come from removing them? i don't want to argue with noone, like i said everyone will do it different. i just figure if your moving them from one medium to another wouldn't you be over your pots anyways? i don't understand where the mess comes from. i've been growing since 98 and gone through 3 different cloning seed starting techniques and the peat works the best for me, no argument there. anyways it dont make a difference i'm just simply saing there are 100 different ways to skin a deer.
negative 1

R

Rural_GrowOp

The ones that I use fall apart if you remove the mesh. No harm Negative1 all opinions are appreciated here.

NwolkZark

NwolkZark

Iv'e ripped roots clean off trying to peel that mesh off before =/ if they get to fat before you notice they poked out i'd just leave the mesh on. Never noticed a benefit one way or the other beyond not ripping roots off:P

N

Nuglover

it's just my opinion fellas i understand a roots growing power but at that stage of development what harm can come from removing them? i don't want to argue with noone, like i said everyone will do it different. i just figure if your moving them from one medium to another wouldn't you be over your pots anyways? i don't understand where the mess comes from. i've been growing since 98 and gone through 3 different cloning seed starting techniques and the peat works the best for me, no argument there. anyways it dont make a difference i'm just simply saing there are 100 different ways to skin a deer.
negative 1

No arguement here bro.I got nothing but love for my fellow Farmers. Just throwing my opinion out there. Removing the mesh does no harm at all...honestly, I'm just lazy as hell and any step I deem as extra work gets thrown out. But hey, whatever floats your boat...as long as the end results is something nice, right? No worries. :rauch08:

N

nmunkie

Thanks for the replies folks, the concensus seems to be that it wont matter one way or another, enough said :), as for the mix I will be planting into it seems to be a mainly peat mix with 20% loam, I might want to add some perlite to this for better drainage as I hear it can be a little heavy and compact slightly over a period, or are there better alternatives I can go for?

That said I should be fine or thereabouts for most of veg I would think with that mix, tbh I dunno thats why Im here :), what works best in soil?

G

greenthumb

if you use john innes soils 1+2+3 like you should and you only veg for a week or three you dont really need grow nutes because theres enough nutes in there to feed your cuttings and seedlings untill you change to 12/12 so dont waste your money on grow nutes unless your vegging for longer than 3 maybe 4 weeks at the most.
in my experience anyway.
if the lower leaves do start to yellow .then give them a splash of grow.
basicaly if you watch your leaves your plant will tell you if she needs any food.

N

nmunkie

Thanks for the info Greenthumb :), I was thinking along same lines myself, of the three JI line which would you recommend best for veg and flower?

G

greenthumb

ji 1 for clones seedlings small pots then transfer to bigger pot for veg with ji2 to fill pot then final pot change into flowering pots using ji3 leave them to veg for a week to get settled in then change to 12/12 then use flower nutes as stated on back of pack .
but try to find what quantitys work for your style of growing and your plants as the measurements they state are only a guide line .
was that ok explaination for you?

G

greenthumb

what ever you do never use miracle grow it has slow release nutrients and it doesnt work very well with weed

G

greenthumb

i use jiffy pucks as well and i have grown side by side two clones of same plant same size same age /1with netting on and 2 without and there is no difference whatsoever so its purely up to you what you do

N

nmunkie

yup spot on GT, great info thanks, Ive got a decent idea of what Im doing , just need affirmation I suppose, that and having spent the last 4 or 5 days trawling this place!:D

Much Appreciated :)

N

nmunkie

Nope, they make it easy for you and you can plant the whole pellet :)

Do you have any info on what nutes are in those composting mixes? From there we can help you more.

Sry DIY I forgot to update the exact mixes I proposed...

Typical Ranges
Bulk Density ----grams per litre----- 800 - 950
Moisture Content --% by weight----- 15 - 30%
pH when packed - 6.0 - 7.0

John Innes No. 1
300 - 450 (micro siemens/cm)
John Innes No. 2
400 – 600 (micro siemens/cm)
John Innes No. 3
500 – 700 (micro siemens/cm)

all mainly a loam/peat/grit mix with added limestone to take the ph up to around 6.5, Im think BioBizz organic nutes for that

Latest posts

Top Bottom