Germination issues with lower Temps

• Thread starter Deke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Deke

Deke

This past week I've been trying to start some seeds to start up again. Well the temps are obviously lower now than in late August when I did this last. The temps are running around 65°-66° in my grow area, that is about 4-6° lower than before. I wouldn't think that that small temp drop would have such a big influence on the germination and the seedlings breaking surface. It took 3 days to get 2 of the 6 seeds to be above surface enough to have me help them pop the shells off. Two have just stalled at the surface with the shells mostly still on, and two more are just at the surface.

The last time all the seeds popped up in less than 24hrs and looked good. These are just moving so slow it makes me wonder what they will do if they make it through the next week.
I ordered a couple heat germ mats to put under the 1gal pots they are in now. Hopefully that will help them kick it in the ass some. Can't run a space heater. Maxed power wise in that area.
I still can't believe that small temp drop has such an effect. Anyone else dealt with this?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
This past week I've been trying to start some seeds to start up again. Well the temps are obviously lower now than in late August when I did this last. The temps are running around 65°-66° in my grow area, that is about 4-6° lower than before. I wouldn't think that that small temp drop would have such a big influence on the germination and the seedlings breaking surface. It took 3 days to get 2 of the 6 seeds to be above surface enough to have me help them pop the shells off. Two have just stalled at the surface with the shells mostly still on, and two more are just at the surface.

The last time all the seeds popped up in less than 24hrs and looked good. These are just moving so slow it makes me wonder what they will do if they make it through the next week.
I ordered a couple heat germ mats to put under the 1gal pots they are in now. Hopefully that will help them kick it in the ass some. Can't run a space heater. Maxed power wise in that area.
I still can't believe that small temp drop has such an effect. Anyone else dealt with this?
I've been putting mine on top of my aquarium, it stays nice and warm but not hot. Have you anything in your place that puts out a bit of heat, top of the fridge for example?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have had this problem in my cold house in winter. A seedling heat mat and controller solved the problem. Seems they need to be in the mid 70’s for fast germination and vigorous growth.

Deke

Deke

Heat mat will be here Wednesday. Seeds started in water, then paper towels on top the cable box in the media room. Digital thermometer said 78 reg and they all popped tails. It's been since then when they went into their 1gal pots that things ground to a halt. I had to pull the shells and membranes off all of the sprouts they were moving so slow. I was afraid to leave them to their own devices.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

I'm awful at this stage. pretty sure any pics of even seedlings that all do whatcha want at the same time... are either photo shopped, or red commy, scum... or hobbits. all flawless advice. dood's got it covered. always interesting hearing the creative, clever, diy solutions that work well, without further expense.

i recently encountered my first experience with a need to ummm... ping pong around with RH, in the prop tray, to get a third strain, within- to rise above the plug lvl... the other 2, had long left the building (strains)... i thought I'd lost em, or that P.M., would rear its ugly head, before they would. nope- deke'd around with the rh for em and BAM... but i was as nervous as this man, i guarantee it.

but deke'shead also touched on another common thang and that's helpin em out of their vehicles, without decapitating and future trichomes. so to speak. pretty sure this happens in any starter medium... i don't recall it happening as often, in dirt (if you'd seen the method, season n lighting- you wouldn't call me on my reference to DIRT), though.

how r folks solving/mitigating this issue? just think of someone with Parkinson's, before u answer, please. if u say coke nail n thumb... we probably met in the 70s, at some point.

fishbuds

fishbuds

seeds are funny sometimes. i just buried a few autos, three popped up in a day under perfect conditions, but one was a no show for 3-4 days. i took it out, and threw it near the soil bucket to be recycled, and wudnt you know, there she is this morning with her helmet on, ready for the game! :0

she popped in 55 degree room, too funny. maybe she will be nothing great, meh she cud b a winner.

best of luck.

the more seeds you drop the better you get at it, and all this talk about perfecting seed germ'ing got me jonesin' to drop some more. Blue Dream bagseed on deck, gonna bury 4 today :)

V

Vondank420

We pop alot of beans old and new. This can be common in old seeds.
We use a short-path tissue culture method
3% H2O2 soak and clean 10mins
Then into sterilized high O2 water with lab grade sucrose and Fulvic. ( you can also use ordinary table sugar @30g/l)
Until the seeds crack. Dont use heating mat during these 2 steps.
Then into your medium of choice. 78 to 80 is ideal for temps but above 70 and below 82 is the range.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

seeds are funny sometimes. i just buried a few autos, three popped up in a day under perfect conditions, but one was a no show for 3-4 days. i took it out, and threw it near the soil bucket to be recycled, and wudnt you know, there she is this morning with her helmet on, ready for the game! :0

she popped in 55 degree room, too funny. maybe she will be nothing great, meh she cud b a winner.

best of luck.

the more seeds you drop the better you get at it, and all this talk about perfecting seed germ'ing got me jonesin' to drop some more. Blue Dream bagseed on deck, gonna bury 4 today :)
jealous u have the space. if u want me to, I'll hate that late bloomer, for you.
also jealous of the strain u have space for!

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

and yes, i privately apologized to deke... over the "name calling "... we'd not met. he doesn't know "me"... so i elaborated... sorry, for ANY OFFENSE.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

might could b opioid induced (long term, not current) schizophrenia. I now have a ton of homework, I'm "afraid " to do. sorry bout the distractions n off topics... no, I'm not ready to go pay someone for a label and it may b nothin, but i strongly doubt it. i thought it was the white widow xtrm and that my lab procedures were bomb... it's 3 strains, later and only gettin worse. so...

plus (garden budget, more like bush and the defense budget... daddy, was the initial, cia big swingin, afterall)... I'm cheap.

Deke

Deke

Well I did what I should have done 2 weeks ago. I bought 2 heat mats. Now hopefully they will start to grow normally. You can see diff in the seedling sizes. Two look good, 3 are small, and one won't germ. So trying a new seed tomorrow.
20191203 231034
20191203 231455
20191203 231419

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

awesome! done, done n done!
i was supposed to put those,/that on top?
;D

Deke

Deke

Dropped another seed. An Ace auto Zamal. It'll be out next year. Looking forward to the buds from it. Should be potent as hell. It'll have a longer flower but that's ok.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Heat mat will be here Wednesday. Seeds started in water, then paper towels on top the cable box in the media room. Digital thermometer said 78 reg and they all popped tails. It's been since then when they went into their 1gal pots that things ground to a halt. I had to pull the shells and membranes off all of the sprouts they were moving so slow. I was afraid to leave them to their own devices.
Hahaha that's exactly how I germ mine. Cloth on top of the cable box then wet paper towel between 2 plates on top. Works like a charm.

Top Bottom