Germination question

• Thread starter cehak
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cehak

I soaked my seeds and my cube for about 12 hours, the seed sank in 5 but i let it soak for a little while longer. Started germing about 12 hours ago, no action yet, but when should i water again?

http://i.invalid.com/54dZx.jpg

http://i.invalid.com/M2sDl.jpg

M

Mercenary

You shouldn't need to water it with a dome over it. The moisture of the cube should stay moist not wet.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Eventually

You'll need to water the cube eventually, it depends on a lot of things. Like the ambient temperature, any air movement in room, how close the light is, or whether you are using a heat mat. Just check the cube a couple times a day. It wont need any water for a couple days at least, after that just lift the dome and give the cube a light squeeze or look for the color to lighten. You might want to get a little spray bottle with a fine spray, hydrogen peroxide bottles at walmart(the spray ones) work well minus the h2o2. Mist the cube with the spray in a couple of days every once in a while using clean water. You don't want to drown the little sucker either, you want the cube to go thru a slight wet/dry period after you see the seed poking thru. But keep it under the dome until then and as the Merc said it shouldn't need anything but peace and a little music for the next couple of days. When you see a root starting to poke out its time to plant the cube into a colored keg cup or your planter of choice full of your soil of choice. Good Luck with your seed

mal

S

smokestack23

Man that thing looks lonely under there lol.

Rockwool is great (and not so great) stuff. It holds a lot of water so, as was said, under a lid, won't need water for a very long time. It also holds a lot of air so if it isn't constantly sitting in a puddle it is relatively hard to overwater.

BUT...the pH can fluctuate quite dramatically. Even if you soak it in acidic water first, it can still rise very quickly.
I keep a close eye on it at first by squeezing out the excess water and checking it's pH daily...or just by gently squeezing some water out and then pouring/leeching pH corrected water over/through it then gently squeezing it again before putting it back.
Squeezing rockwool isnt that great for the rockwool and can be hard on roots. Be careful. Spinning water out is better but...just be careful and gentle and you should be just fine.

So, as your seedling sprouts, you can start gradually opening the lid..like a bit more each day. Once the lid is mostly or completely removed the cube will dry out much more quickly so keep an eye on it. Won't be long before it's time to transplant anyway though.

Even with feminised seeds (and ESPECIALLY with normal seeds) it's a good idea to plant more than one. If you HAVE more than one that is. All kinds of reasons for that including sex, phenos, redundancy....

Have fun and good luck.

PEACE

Top Bottom