germination question

• Thread starter Walrus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Walrus

Walrus

i have a question,first time grower here,this may seem stupid,but when a seed germinates and the little white sproutlings appear is that the top or the root of the plant?

chikken

chikken

that is the tap root, or main root of the seedling. put the root facing downwards in the soil.

Walrus

Walrus

ah great,i germinated them directly in the soil,facing the wrong way up,

Bannacis

Bannacis

here's something interesting...not mine but found on another blog site.

marijuana-seeds-positioning-in-soil.gif
marijuana seeds should be placed with the POINTED END UP into a prepared cannabis seeds germination bed or just good soil at a depth of 1/2 to 3/4 inch. The embryo tap root emerges from the pointed (stylar) end and the natural method of growth is for this root to make a turn and grow downward (see the illustration) This bend formed by the downward curve of the taproot is what emerges from the soil and the friction of dragging the cannabis seeds upward helps the new plant to loosen and cast off the seed case when it breaks through the surface. If the cannabis seeds are placed with the pointed end down, the embryo will be required to expend a great deal of its stored energy for twisting and turning to position the tap root when it realizes that it is heading the wrong way (see illustration of germinating marijuana seeds) The seedling will need this energy to exert the forces required to later lift its head (now enclosed by the two halves of the seed case) above the soil, cast off the seed case and then spread its two embryo leaves and begin the life-giving photosynthetic process. This is a critical stage in growth and carelessness in placing the marijuana seeds will exhaust even the most hearty seedling and result in a slow start and a feeble plant in later life. Cannabis seeds should be placed in a small hole at a depth of 1/2 to 3/4 inch. An excellent medium for germination is a mixture of rich humus and fine sand, such as the type used for aquariums. The soil needs a ph of 7.5 to 8.0 and should not be so moist that it sticks to your fingers. If the medium is too moist, the seeds will rot and ferment before they can sprout. A simple test for moisture is to stick a pencil into the soil and if soil adheres to it when removed, then it is too moist. Sort of like when you test a cake by sticking a straw into it to see if it is baked through to the middle. The ideal is not too moist, and not too dry - and be sure that the soil is well-drained. Research has shown that a soil temperature that is at, or slightly above, the air temperature promotes the best survival rates and growth.

My question is in the wild when plants drop their seeds do the drop them point up or point down think about it
im not sure it really matters it has to work harder one way or not.

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

marijuana seeds should be placed with the POINTED END UP into a prepared cannabis seeds germination bed or just good soil at a depth of 1/2 to 3/4 inch. The embryo tap root emerges from the pointed (stylar) end and the natural method of growth is for this root to make a turn and grow downward (see the illustration) This bend formed by the downward curve of the taproot is what emerges from the soil and the friction of dragging the cannabis seeds upward helps the new plant to loosen and cast off the seed case when it breaks through the surface. If the cannabis seeds are placed with the pointed end down, the embryo will be required to expend a great deal of its stored energy for twisting and turning to position the tap root when it realizes that it is heading the wrong way (see illustration of germinating marijuana seeds) The seedling will need this energy to exert the forces required to later lift its head (now enclosed by the two halves of the seed case) above the soil, cast off the seed case and then spread its two embryo leaves and begin the life-giving photosynthetic process. This is a critical stage in growth and carelessness in placing the marijuana seeds will exhaust even the most hearty seedling and result in a slow start and a feeble plant in later life. Cannabis seeds should be placed in a small hole at a depth of 1/2 to 3/4 inch. An excellent medium for germination is a mixture of rich humus and fine sand, such as the type used for aquariums. The soil needs a ph of 7.5 to 8.0 and should not be so moist that it sticks to your fingers. If the medium is too moist, the seeds will rot and ferment before they can sprout. A simple test for moisture is to stick a pencil into the soil and if soil adheres to it when removed, then it is too moist. Sort of like when you test a cake by sticking a straw into it to see if it is baked through to the middle. The ideal is not too moist, and not too dry - and be sure that the soil is well-drained. Research has shown that a soil temperature that is at, or slightly above, the air temperature promotes the best survival rates and growth.

My question is in the wild when plants drop their seeds do the drop them point up or point down think about it

Yeah I've ran past this article. Makes complete sense. But my thoughts would be, the cycle of LIFE. The STRONG survive, more so tru in the wild! So seed position, in the WILD doesn't mean much. Cuz the strong will ALWAYS germinate. But VERY useful to our hobby, cuz hands on your giving seed total help to start it's life. Makes complete sense. Good post!

Bannacis

Bannacis

I've done the towel method and seen the curl, but also seen the tap go straight for 1/2 inch easy. but the towel only allows the root to go sideways. and it could hit a uneven (wrinkle in towel) part to cause it to curl.
Putting the beans in a glass of water, I usually put them in soil as soon as the tap is about an 1/8th inch. tap down...most sprouted.

http://www.ilovegrowinginvalid.com/healthy-marijuana-sprouts/

I think I will try the tap up myself. it does seem that it wants to grow up and turn down and flip the seed casing off.

Myco

Myco

Last 3-4 packs of seeds I've popped, I've places the seed directly in soil, kept moist, and wa'lah... near 100% germination void of runts... not worrying about position because it's a pain in the ass to adjust, after you commit and drop the seed into your soil, haha.

I will admit, I did have been giving them a quick scuff though.

TBH - I never started seeing the helmet-head syndrome until I paid attention to which direction I was sowing the seed... when I'd go pointed end down, I'd see this the most.

I think the way nature and adaptation meant for it to happen, is to let the soil/medium help shed the husk, thus, pointed end down makes little sense.

May sound far fetched to some... ;) but due to gravity and the shape of the seed, being, technically heavier on the rounded end, the laws of physics will, 99 times out of 100, make that seed land any way -but- pointed end down... just sayin.

Germ on, brothers and sisters.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Aye, just get that shit planted, don't obsess over which way it's pointed. It WILL find its way.

squiggly

squiggly

Myco is correct to suggest that the seed will end up fat-end down most of the time by the time it's covered by soil--physics says so.

At the same time, if you wanted to be super anal about it--I'd bet you the best orientation is actually slightly angled from straight up. Like a 45 degree angle or so.

chikken

chikken

to be honest, I have never thought about seed orientation until recently. for years I been just tossing them in the soil, and for years they been coming up.

C

Chance Last

Nice! Very useful info

Bannacis

Bannacis

the principle around rounded end down is when tap root emerges from seed it automatically curls, if planted the tap root pops up from seed and curls down. as tap root grows it lifts out of soil and the soil holds the seed husk so it emerges without the helmet head. its natures way of giving it as best a chance to succeed. most all seeds have a heavy end. when they land by them selves. over a short period of time the seed will settle, gravity will pull the heavy rounded part down so it will work itself to soil. if it happens to land on the top, say maybe a small rock and it pops. the tap root will curl and dig into the soil. lifting the plant up...Halleluiah!!!

Bannacis

Bannacis

I just clicked and read the article on the post by chance last...lol. That's it in more detail, kool. I think I seen a segment about this on Mr Rogers show when I was a kid. On regular seeds of course.

Latest posts

Top Bottom