Germination Rate And Bean Preservation

• Thread starter NJPBG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NJPBG

NJPBG

have you guys had much luck popping older beans? I haven’t been having muck luck lately. Popped a few beans from 2014, they popped fine and are growing fine. I have a soma NYCD fem From 2011 i tried popping but it’s been in the towel for 4 days now and nothing. And a Cali connection original sour diesel from 2012 and same, 3 days and nothing. When do you guys call it quits and give up? I store my seeds in air tight containers with silica beads. Room temp no refrigerator or freezer which I’m thinking now was a mistake. I’ve got so much good old genetics I’m scared to lose it all. Share some of your stories and let me know how much luck you’ve had with older beans and how you store them.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I store my beans in an old pill bottle in the bottom drawer of a dresser. After 30 years, some of these still pop. Not many, maybe 15%, but some. I have air conditioning but don't keep them with silica or frozen/chilled. Like you, I use a paper towel and regular water placed in a warmish place (~85 F) for a few days. I give up after 5 or 6 days but it sometimes takes that long. They are also a bit gimpy sometimes...sometimes they grow out of it, sometimes not. My next project is going to pop some old seeds and try to get more from making feminized versions of the plants...keeping the genetics going to some degree.

GeorgeWKush4

GeorgeWKush4

i also put them in pill containers, but i put mine in my fridge, have never had a problem popping seeds. i wouldnt put them in the freezer, but ive heard people doing that also, helps preserve them i guess?

Top Bottom