Germination Stopped

• Thread starter Resinator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Resinator

Ok, this is the second time I have had this problem in about 2 years where normally they just sprout. Both times it was a batch of LowRyder Dwarf Mix.

I popped 7 seeds into some split rockwool and germinated them in an Aerogarden. The seeds all cracked after a couple of days but after 7 days the roots are only 2-5 mm long. It seems they just stopped growing.

I split the rockwool plugs in half and place the seed in between the two halves. This allows me to turn the seeds if I need to. It gives me a few days to do this at germination before the root gets entwined in the rockwool . This also allows me to see their initial root growth too.

I have two theories of what might have caused this

1.) It might have been cooler than usual in my basement ~60 F.

2.) I might have used too much nutes, I usually go very very low on nutes for germinating ~1/10th str ... but I may have over done it a little.

Any thoughts

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Too hot on your nutes. If you use organics, they'll just "stall", but if you used chem ferts, it's likely they're done for. I'd try a flush, and use a tiny amount of nutes on your little gals.

S

scoobydoo

I wouldn't touch or move them at all in this stage. Its very easy for bacteria to kill seeds and a simple touch is all that's needed to spread them. You shouldn't need ANY nutes for the first few days of life. They are the most sensitive at this point then any other time and youll get the best results providing a good home for the seed and nature will take course. Loving to death has killed countless thousands of plants, shes a weed, once conditions are right they will grow, just be patient.

M

Malachi

i don't give my seedings any nutes until they have 4 nodes

R

Resinator

thanks for the replies. Afte rmoving them upstair and flushing them a few days ago, two are popping through the top. The rest are gonners. Curious what type of impact this delayed start will have on the autoflowers for the two that survived

N

nucleotide

The temp drop likely told the seeds it would be wise to hold up. Nutes might have been high too. I sprout mine directly on root riot plugs, I place the seed gently into the top hole about half way and I put a quarter sized piece of moistened paper towel on top. I put all the plugs into a tupperware or some sort of little tub and I plastic the top. I put a heat pad underneath at about 80 degrees or so. Seeds sprouted this way will usually crack within 24-48 hours and will come up shortly afterwards.

There is really only one way to face the seed, you probably won't have to rotate it. The point which attached the seed to the mother plant should face up when planting since this part of the seed won't split first (or at all). When the seed cracks, the cotyledon comes out of the other end where the seed coat splits and it grows right into the plug.

I don't baby mine too much, but I do dilute things down. Once they pop and stand up, they get about 600ppm nutes or less. They'll let me know if I'm being too rough.

Top Bottom