germing old seeds

• Thread starter Motarebel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

My problem isnt getting them to crack but getting a decent tap and cotyldons to open(with skin/membrane removed). Ive been watching and figuring these old beans out as i attempt them. The conlclusion ive cone up with is there isnt enough energy to complete/continue growing. Now my plan is to borrow energy and give them a head start! To accomplish this i plan to expire as little energy as possible from making a decent tap by incubating in on top of a damp sponge covered by a damp papertowel. I want to provide as little resistance as possible but get them green to provide their own as well. This is where the papertowel comes in as it provides moisture, airgap and light to the sprout. Now the sprout doesnt need to push against anything using less energy to get photosythisis to begin and take over. I use a colloidal silver, superthrive and h2o2 in my sponge soak. The colloidal silver provides anti fungal/bacterial property to the mix that doesnt fade like h2o2 to prevent contam of prolonged incubation in a damp contam prone environment.
20140208 140918 resize 20140208 144524
20140208 140950 resize 20140208 144523
20140208 141027 resize 20140208 144523
20140208 141045 resize 20140208 144522

the last 2 arent the same seedling but are from the same stock. Those 2 werent incubated and jusy barely pulled through. Actually the 1st one is still in stasis but the upcoming fan nubs are green and looking like new growth maturing.

1973chemgrower

1973chemgrower

I just popped 19 year old seeds i had hid away and lost but were dated and my method with all seeds over five years h2O2/peroxide mixed one third to two thirds of RO water or even Tap will work and I put them in between the face wipes that you can buy made of cotton which ill picture but this gives me almost always 100% germintation ...just also did some old herijuana from mota that were f2s that i got from a buddy who had them and couldnt get them to pop and this method popped and grew out 48 out of 50 seeds so def works wonders ;) it works becuse the h2o2 adds oxygen to the seeds and literally had them shooting a tap root in as little as 8-12 hours so this always works and was an experiment i tried a few years back since we used h2o2 for hydro for the roots so figured it work for popping beans also the face wipes just make it cleaner and easier to check them when ya want but other then that ill put seeds between one folded in half face for 10 or under and 2 together for more seeds and holds the moisture really well in a plastic bag on the cable box for heat and done

iCultivate

iCultivate

I'm an advocate GA3 too. Seems to make a difference with stubborn seeds. Follow the guidelines and don't go too crazy with it or otherwise the seedlings will suffer by stretching too much.

-- iCultivate --

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
How old were those seeds @SonOfDaMourning ?? Excellent techniques here, have to get my self some super-thrive I heard it works great on old seeds.

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

How old were those seeds @SonOfDaMourning ?? Excellent techniques here, have to get my self some super-thrive I heard it works great on old seeds.
I found out They were old circa 04-05 beans. The taps never really grow, i need to baby them until the tap grows root extensions before the seedling grows. So maintaining a proper constant humid evironment with plenty fresh air exchange is a huge factor in getting these to settle in. Thats a technique i learned by growing mushies. ill post the upcoming 2 doing and looking alot better a bit later.

Last edited:
Cold Country

Cold Country

This info could not have come at a better time.I recently won a mix pack from an auction that I am sure is quite old as they are from Resivoir Seeds .I feel I stand a chance now,friggin stoked

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

I just popped some double koosh seeds from 2010. I haven't grown since 2010, but when I did I lived by germinating seeds with super thrive (can't find the stuff where I live now). This time however I used straight tap (have ro but haven't set it up and I buy distilled water monthly). All seeds sank after 24 hrs, but only 6 have cracked I think. I put them all in a Tupperware with the paper towel method about 12 hrs ago. Hopefully they come to life. It's crazy cuz out of 7 strains I tried to germinate from 2010 the double koosh ones seem to have the most life in them.

1973chemgrower

1973chemgrower

I just popped some double koosh seeds from 2010. I haven't grown since 2010, but when I did I lived by germinating seeds with super thrive (can't find the stuff where I live now). This time however I used straight tap (have ro but haven't set it up and I buy distilled water monthly). All seeds sank after 24 hrs, but only 6 have cracked I think. I put them all in a Tupperware with the paper towel method about 12 hrs ago. Hopefully they come to life. It's crazy cuz out of 7 strains I tried to germinate from 2010 the double koosh ones seem to have the most life in them.
Funny ya did the double koosh they were part of my big old seed run ... Have herijuana from 1998, holy princess over 4 years old im guessing , double koosh not sure but def old, and sensi star from 1995 still on sealed pack and funny thing is i did all with peroxide but forgot to use peroxide on the herijuana but all others popped in 24 yours and tap even came out of most but then hit the heri with pure h2o2 and all 50 f2s popped but only 38 through a tap but the rest will make it if i do as mentioned with waiting for secondary roots to start off the little root that did come out which for them i use rapid rooters in a done with heat pad underneath so there always heat also I'll keep the top vents open with a fan thats nearby to exchange air but def got to keep the rapid rooters wet and with good air exchange mine dry out twice a day so i just use ro , h2o2/peroxide and bio roots or rapid start in the rooters and usually have good roots in 4 days just like when cloneing but anyways ive noticed even newer seed not throwing a tap and its always a certain breeder i wont mention but i always have to do this since theres never throw full taps but anyways good luck with the double koosh there def good ones ... I recently scored 50-100 different mota and sannies seeds strains all being over 5 years old and all doing great do far and threw way to many down lol expecting to get less then i did so the peroxide def works wonders since it does add oxygen which literally make them taps blow out and even pop the husk off them within 12-18 hours on most seeds and theres always a few that taken a bit longer but glad this whole subject was brought up since i have friends who loose a lot of good old seed and waste them since they dont read or listen which is also where i got the sensi star 95 seeds and the same guy had so many good ones i was drooling over so when he said he used tap and waiting 3 days and seen nothin he tossed them i was like wtf i told ya to let me know lol was about to go garbage digging but he said he flushed them so then i thought where does our sewage go hahaha lol j/k but it did cross my mind ;)

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

Funny d the double koosh they were part of my big old seed run ... Have herijuana from 1998, holy princess over 4 years old im guessing , double koosh not sure but def old, and sensi star from 1995 still on sealed pack and funny thing is i did all with peroxide but forgot to use peride on the herijuana but all others popped in 24 yours and tap even came out of most but then hit the heri with pure h2o2 and all 50 f2s popped but only 38 through a tap but the rest will make it if i do as mentioned with waiting for secondary roots to start off the little root that did come out which for them i use rapid rooters in a done with heat pad underneath so there always heat also I'll keep the top vents open with a fan thats nearby to exchange air but def got to keep the rapid rooters wet and with good air exchange mine dry out twice a day so i just use ro , h2o2/peroxide and bio roots or rapid start in the rooters and usually have good roots in 4 days just like when cloneing but anyways ive noticed even newer seed not throwing a tap and its always a certain breeder i wont mention but i always have to do this since theres never throw full taps but anyways good luck with the double koosh there def good ones ... I recently scored 50-100 different mota and sannies seeds strains all being over 5 years old and all doing great do far and threw way to many down lol expecting to get less then i did so the peroxide def works wonders since it does add oxygen which literally make them taps blow out and even pop the husk off them within 12-18 hours on most seeds and theres always a few that taken a bit longer but glad this whole subject was brought up since i have friends who loose a lot of good old seed and waste them since they dont read or listen which is also where i got the sensi star 95 seeds and the same guy had so many good ones i was drooling over so when he said he used tap and waiting 3 days and seen nothin he tossed them i was like wtf i told ya to let me know lol was about to go garbage digging but he said he flushed them so then i thought where does our sewage go hahaha lol j/k but it did cross my mind ;)

I can not lie I almost tossed a bunch of the ones I tried to germinate cuz i thought they were dead. Some looked black on the outside after a 36 hr soak. I got up today and put my thinking cap on though. I took all the ones that didn't pop and hit them with a scouring pad, it helped a little but the seeds were so small and hard to hold. I found a small pair of sharp sscissors and began to scrape the seal around the shell slightly while braces the north and south poles of the seeds then vola the shell opened up wide. The embryos looked good, so I put them in paper towels. Out of 37 3 1/2 - 4 year old seeds I have 6 that didn't pop. Hopefully the tap roots catch in the paper towels as the last 6 continue to soak. This thread absolutely saved me several hundred on more seeds

1973chemgrower

1973chemgrower

Ya man i wouldnt have my herijuana f2s if it wasnt for all the tricks out there so im glad i tried them all and finally got it down and never have trouble popping any seed even some new seed can be tough since they have tough shells so the sandpaper in a pill bottle is a must for now on when i do any seed ... Heres a pic of the way i do the pill bottle with sandpaper in it then I just cap the bottle and shake them around so they spin in a circle lately for about 30 seconds to a minute and when they come out of there perfectly scored then to the face wipes i soak in my peroxide and water mix as i stated in my other post also got old double koosh and several other sannies and old mota seeds i finally got to popping ;) lots of goods in the garden

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
@1973chemgrower What brand of hydrogene peroxide do u use? Is it the 3% one? Awesome story guys thx for sharing.

1973chemgrower

1973chemgrower

@1973chemgrower What brand of hydrogene peroxide do u use? Is it the 3% one? Awesome story guys thx for sharing.
Sorry man thats the important part is only use the 3% well unless ya have the higher percentage then you have to figure out the math but ya just cheap dollar store 3% peroxide is all and I thought of this because I always use it in my bubble buckets and figured it cleans roots and also noticed how it always makes them grow faster when you so figure that I was just experimenting with poppyseeds I actually went even with 100% peroxide 3% better this and still work but I think it actually worked too fast because it had the tops off with Green water leaves showing before the tap got a chance to get a good length on it before popping the top so i stick to half and half at most but normally do 1/3 of h2o2

I can't count how many seeds I tossed a few years ago when I was having a bad streak with older Seed and now wish I knew what I know now I started out by reading about using sandpaper to scribe the edges and the tip where the root comes out and that alone helped greatly then I tried the peroxide idea just this past year and have never done it any other way I did do some SSSDH seeds with plane RO water and no peroxide went 24 hours and nothing and then added the peroxide once I realized I didn't use any and 12 hours later all had taproots an inch or longer so def shows it works others ive shared this with on our breeder page on face book have all started doing the same and got a lot doing this now also the sandpaper alone works wonders

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks @1973chemgrower

There's indeed a big role played by Hydrogen Peroxide and seeds germination. I've a study that shows in details how H2O2 plays a key role in every steps of the germination process. I'm adding it here for those who like to read it. Very interesting.

Humic acids helps germinate old seeds too. Another stuffs called Salt Petre Potassium Nitrate works good.

Right now I have tested scuffing vs using ur teeth to crack the seeds, and the second method works 100% ! Far better than scuffing for me, cause u got full control on where the crack will be. When I scuff, it scuffs the seeds all over the shell rather then at the right place.

So far cracking with my teeth have gave me 100% success. Pretty sick yeah, don't bite ur seeds like a crazy mofo thats all, gently and softly, u will fell when it cracks. I read that saliva is also a good to help germinating :hungry:

Next I will try germinating with worms.

www.researchgate.net/publication/42370572_Extracellular_production_of_reactive_oxygen_species_during_seed_germination_and_early_seedling_growth_in_Pisum_sativum

View attachment peas1, Kranner et al 2010.pdf
1973chemgrower

1973chemgrower

Thanks for the info... My experience with it is def less scientific lol also ill have to try the cracking with my teethe idea...

straydogOG

straydogOG

Great info here!!.. just found this thread...

Best luck I`ve had is with Nitron A-35 and kelp powder mix.. say in a 10:1 mix ratio with water. 12-24hr soak..

Top Bottom