Getting ready to jar and…

• Thread starter Legalizeiteverywhere
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Legalizeiteverywhere

I apologize if this has been covered but I could not find a thread relating to this particular question. When the plants are dry and ready to be snipped and jarred is it normal for the buds to be really brittle? Like will they firm up during curing? Been a decade since I’ve done this. The plants have been drying for about 7 days and yes, the stems did snap when checked.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
sounds like they dried out to fast/much
Jarring won’t make them firmer it preserves them as is while curing.

Ideally if you squash it it should bounce back to it shape not crumble

All in all for your own use it’s no major thing not ideal but not a disaster

socks4free

socks4free

I agree with gmix it sounds like the buds got too dry. Are all the buds like that? If there is some that isn't as dry maybe try to fill the jars 50/50 with dry/over dry buds and the moisture from the less dry buds will spread out.

Also you can throw the very dry buds in the jars with some orange peels which will help rehydrate them a little. You just need to be checking them everyday and pull out the orange peels when the buds are at a good moisture level

electroguy

electroguy

I apologize if this has been covered but I could not find a thread relating to this particular question. When the plants are dry and ready to be snipped and jarred is it normal for the buds to be really brittle? Like will they firm up during curing? Been a decade since I’ve done this. The plants have been drying for about 7 days and yes, the stems did snap when checked.
You can also add small pieces of moist paper towels. Not sure if bodiva packs would work but im sure someone will chime in.

electroguy

electroguy

Which stems snapped? From what I've read the small stems should snap. If the big ones snap it's too dry. I live in Albuquerque so no humidity. Mine dried in like 4 days, maybe a bit more than I wanted but it came out nice.

socks4free

socks4free

You can also add small pieces of moist paper towels. Not sure if bodiva packs would work but im sure someone will chime in.
I've heard of people using damp paper towels but I personally don't like the idea and think it could easily lead to over-hydrating.

The technique I've used is the orange peels (or really any citrus fruit peels) with good success but I also read that you can use slightly damp bread, moisture control packs, other kinds of fresh herbs (lettuce, rosemary, or basically any kind of fresh herb that you like), terracotta disks, or you can take your buds spread them on cooking sheet, grab a pot of water get it boiling on the stove then throw the whole pot on the bottom Rack of your oven, throw the sheet with buds on it on the top rack and cook at waters boiling point(lower than thc evap point but you could lose terps still so this isn't the best method) checking every 5-10 mins to see if the buds are at a level to your liking. But as I said in the ( ) it isn't the best choice so I wouldn't recommend it.

Id personal go with the fruits or herbs.

L

Legalizeiteverywhere

sounds like they dried out to fast/much
Jarring won’t make them firmer it preserves them as is while curing.

Ideally if you squash it it should bounce back to it shape not crumble

All in all for your own use it’s no major thing not ideal but not a disaster
That’s what I’m thinking too. They just dried out too fast. My only option to dry them is in the basement where the grow is and it stays around 82-85 down there regardless of if the light is on or off. I’m gonna try the orange peel method and see if I can get them to plump up a little bit.

L

Legalizeiteverywhere

I agree with gmix it sounds like the buds got too dry. Are all the buds like that? If there is some that isn't as dry maybe try to fill the jars 50/50 with dry/over dry buds and the moisture from the less dry buds will spread out.

Also you can throw the very dry buds in the jars with some orange peels which will help rehydrate them a little. You just need to be checking them everyday and pull out the orange peels when the buds are at a good moisture level
That’s what I’m thinking too. They just dried out too fast. My only option to dry them is in the basement where the grow is and it stays around 82-85 down there regardless of if the light is on or off. I’m gonna try the orange peel method and see if I can get them to plump up a little bit.

Bilber

Bilber

If you hung them whole, with stems, I would jar them up with the stems/branches for now, just to see if there is any kind of moisture left....

I have the same issues....too warm, too cold, no humidity, 100% humidity......

Once you get this harvest under your belt, you can adjust your other grows/harvests against this one.....

Hope you make out with an awesome stash......betcha it'll get you high regardless!!!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Well, make sure they are as dry as you think. The outside is going to get crunchy. But if the inside is still moist, then, when your jar them up, it will equalize somewhat. Those mini hygrometers aren’t the most accurate in the world but they at least give you an idea of what is going on when you throw them in the jar with the bud. I’ve seen people think they have Wayover dried. Then throw them in a jar with a hygrometer, and it reads about 80% after a day or two. So be careful.

Latest posts

Top Bottom