Getting some smell out of my bud

• Thread starter JohnUFC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JohnUFC

Whats up Farmers. I have asked this question before, but really havent gotten an answer. Im currently using H G nutes. And the smell doesnt seem to be there like some other friends buds. I know that my strains can stink. My friends grow em. The only difference is that I use H G they use canna and G H. I currently add compost tea but thats it. I dont want to add things to make it smell different. Just make the natural smell more pungent.

G

GroHi

Doubt it's the nutes... been on the H&G for over a year & comparable to previous regiments under differing brands (same genetics/room).

Seeing that genetics isn't the issue, likely suspect is in your dry/cure procedure. I would look that stuff up rather than give consideration to additives or nute issues. The only other exception to that issue is not flushing and/or overnuting. Assuming those are in line, it falls back to your dry/cure.

Basically, don't dry it too fast- shoot for 1wk minimum to 10-14 days slow dry before you begin the jarring process.

Before you jar, they shouldn't be green/wet at all. At jarring, slight give/bend (not bone dry/crispy) yet all stems will snap when pressed between the fingernails. There is a small window here depending upon your temps/rh. Anyway, if you jar before this you will kill odor & taste development along with locking in the "green".

Once in the jar, burp them to ensure moisture isn't present & let them age. You should get the dank to settle in develop. Taste will be smooth, assuming a good flush beforehand.

Wet bud in jars/bags = shit grade weed. Not saying this is you, just my soap box.

Peace brother.

D

darookie2000

Whats up Farmers. I have asked this question before, but really havent gotten an answer. Im currently using H G nutes. And the smell doesnt seem to be there like some other friends buds. I know that my strains can stink. My friends grow em. The only difference is that I use H G they use canna and G H. I currently add compost tea but thats it. I dont want to add things to make it smell different. Just make the natural smell more pungent.

Molasses.

J

JohnUFC

I flush for 6 days. Everyone I spoke with said that is perfect since I use drip clean.

The one thing that I may be doing wrong is putting it in the jar still a little wet. Once the outsides are dry I put it in the jar. Should I wait longer. Like After hanging it, wait for it to feel a little dry everywhere before putting it in the jar? Thanks for the help guys.

Molasses I have heard that as well. Any particular type?

A

arikjay

molasses works! sticky as hell though.. my local shop sells gallons of it for $6.50. i think its unrefined or something?

E

easypleasie

The one thing that I may be doing wrong is putting it in the jar still a little wet. Once the outsides are dry I put it in the jar. Should I wait longer. Like After hanging it, wait for it to feel a little dry everywhere before putting it in the jar? Thanks for the help guys.

Yeah bro, you gotta let it fully dry before putting it into jars. And if you don't air out the jars (burp) every day for the first week, moisture can build up and ruin it for ya. Very important process to get the right flavor/smell out of your bud. If you need to dry them some more, just put them in some paper bags. good luck!

J

JohnUFC

Thanks man I threw it back in the bag. I must have thrown it in the jar to quick for sure. When the bottom nugs were starting to dry when they were hanging. I threw them in the jar. Ill wait a day or two the next time.

Yeah bro, you gotta let it fully dry before putting it into jars. And if you don't air out the jars (burp) every day for the first week, moisture can build up and ruin it for ya. Very important process to get the right flavor/smell out of your bud. If you need to dry them some more, just put them in some paper bags. good luck!

T

Trillion

i flush for 2weeks with the h&g range.
also make sure you cut down on N towards the end of flowering, ie the fan leaves
should loose some of their dark green colour and start to fall off

J

JohnUFC

How much of each a b should I cut down on. I only do 5ml through the cycle. Also I thought drip clean allowed for shorter flushes? Even with that I should do 2 weeks?
i flush for 2weeks with the h&g range.
also make sure you cut down on N towards the end of flowering, ie the fan leaves
should loose some of their dark green colour and start to fall off

R

Rolln J

you know the timing of when you chop will affect the taste as well...

too soon and it will be homey - too late and it could get harsh.

theres just too many variables to give you one good solid reason why your not getting the taste you want!

maybe what you should do is emulate your friends growing techniques and see if you set better results.

and I doubt molasses is the answer, sorry but this is not a cure all for density and flavor.

J

JohnUFC

Its weird because my flowers looked better and were more potent than his. It was just lacking in the smell. The taste was just plain probably due to the lack of smell. I have another room finishing this week. Im going to flush for a little longer. Dry them upside down until all the buds are dry everywhere not just one or two. Then jar cure for as long as it needs. If that doesnt do it idk. Its weird because some of the plants smell but you have to actually smell them or touch the leaves. I just feel like it should smell more during the flower as well.
you know the timing of when you chop will affect the taste as well...

too soon and it will be homey - too late and it could get harsh.

theres just too many variables to give you one good solid reason why your not getting the taste you want!

maybe what you should do is emulate your friends growing techniques and see if you set better results.

and I doubt molasses is the answer, sorry but this is not a cure all for density and flavor.

X

xxYIKESxx

If left in the jar too wet, it will probably give off a smell like urine or ammonia. Not good...but yours not giving off any smell?

If not, you should try a product made by General Hydroponics called Floralicious Plus. It's all organic and from my perspective...VERY effective in bringing out the aroma. As soon as you open the bottle and sniff it you will be overwhelmed by the smell lol. This product has made my stuff reallllly pungent! It definitely enhances the aroma bigtime...try it. It's super concentrated, so all you need is 1ml/g ...so a small bottle goes a long way. I use this supplement with ALL my grows...it's a must have in anyone's nute regimine. Trust me :banana:

T

Trillion

make sure the stems snap when pinched before jarring. Try and flush for 2 weeks, plain water or 1 week water w/ mollases and 1 week plain water. Like i said the fan
leaves should start to loose their dark green colour and start to wither and die from the bottom up if flushed correctly. If N is not expelled properly you will be left with
that green plant taste no matter the dry/cure.

A

arikjay

molasses does fall into the cheap alternative category. but i still use in in all my teas. with soil not coco.

H

headband707

molasses does fall into the cheap alternative category. but i still use in in all my teas. with soil not coco.

Actually I believe it's Advanced Nute that used Molasses as the base of their mixes so not such a bad idea as long as you use the organic type or beet juice Peace out Headband707:cool0041:

D

darookie2000

I flush for 6 days. Everyone I spoke with said that is perfect since I use drip clean.

Molasses I have heard that as well. Any particular type?

Blackstrap molasses is the kind that works best. I got some "Wholesome Sweetners Organic Molasses" from Whole Foods.

If you aren't letting them dry out enough, then it will smell like bud when it goes in the jar, but smell like hay after a few days (I made this mistake, and I'm in the process of correcting it). If you put them in a paper bag for a day or so it will dry out some more. Then put them back in the jars and open the jars for 15-20 minutes (or more if they aren't getting too dry) every day to let the moisture escape. The smell bounced back in a couple of days for me on all except for one strain, which I am going to remoisten a bit and then dry again.

Slow drying makes the chlorophyll break down, which removes the "vegetation" taste/smell, and returns the natural aromas. The longer you let it cure, the more aroma will come out.

J

JohnUFC

Thanks for all the great advice guys. Im going to try them. I have already corrected the curing process. The next thing Ill try is the molasses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom