Getting the green and waxes out afterwards

• Thread starter Graywolf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jump

jump

I'm thinking something like 1/2 cup alcohol for 10 grams oil, do you think that would be enough to effectively separate the solids out after freezing? Then boil off alcohol, and put the oil through the syringe filter?

In my opinion this is not enough, I use about five times more.
Dissolve in a small amount of ethanol will provide degassing.
But the viscous solution is filtered slowly and leaves a fair amount of resin on the walls and the filter, they will have to wash later.

B

big ballin 88

I just did 6 grams with a half cup and that was barely good enough. Jump has done this process more times than most and his advice really does help minimize the most annoying of losses.

Jump- Would you say that there is a direct correlation between water content and amber shatter? My last small batch has provided shatter, while the larger batch is very liquid.

I've been reading articles all night about waxes and different constituents of the oil we are separating. I'm also starting to question the necessity of winterization, unless the material going in was extremely dirty. Maybe it is true for larger solutions?

I did a 12hr freeze yesterday and the filter separated quite a large quantity of contaminants deemed waxes. The evaporated container revealed an almost green, but yellow amber. Looks like shatter, but acts like a thick oil. Much thicker this time though, maybe it was on its transition to a solid amber.

jump

jump

Jump- Would you say that there is a direct correlation between water content and amber shatter? My last small batch has provided shatter, while the larger batch is very liquid.

Hey big ballin 88 !
I have many times met the assumptions about the role of humidity in the consistency of the extract,
but unfortunately (or fortunately) I have no absolutely no observations and considerations on this matter.
in my locations, atmospheric humidity is not a significant factor.

In my opinion easier purify small amounts than big ones.
I think that the decisive factor here is the thickness of the evaporated layer of resin,
the thinner the layer, the resin releases the butane easier.

Or I just misunderstood your question?

Graywolf

Graywolf

Hey big ballin 88 !
I have many times met the assumptions about the role of humidity in the consistency of the extract,
but unfortunately (or fortunately) I have no absolutely no observations and considerations on this matter.
in my locations, atmospheric humidity is not a significant factor.

In my opinion easier purify small amounts than big ones.
I think that the decisive factor here is the thickness of the evaporated layer of resin,
the thinner the layer, the resin releases the butane easier.

Or I just misunderstood your question?

Excellent point brother Jump regarding the purging efficiency of thin films, vis a vis a deep pool.

I live in the land of eternal rain, so humidity is a factor with us, but mostly it is a factor if you don't take it into consideration.

If you extract in a deep container sitting in a hot water bath, instead of a shallow one, the evaporating butane will keep the moisture laden atmosphere floated away from the evaporation line, where ice forms.

T

treehugger

Graywolf - i always's thought one of the (unspoken) advantages of your oft-mentioned use of a hot OIL bath when purging bho was the fact that the oil contributed no environmental water vapor to inhibit the release of any trapped moisture in the hash oil. I would guess this factor would be particularly important when using ethanol (and it's 2 1/2% H2O) as a butane release accelerant.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Graywolf - i always's thought one of the (unspoken) advantages of your oft-mentioned use of a hot OIL bath when purging bho was the fact that the oil contributed no environmental water vapor to inhibit the release of any trapped moisture in the hash oil. I would guess this factor would be particularly important when using ethanol (and it's 2 1/2% H2O) as a butane release accelerant.

Good point, not to mention you can't get any hotter than 100C/212F at sea level with water.

M

magiccaldron

thank you, graywolf, you are awesome! I have a batch of coconut butter salve. cooked in in a crockpot for a couple of days. i think i may have scored it. do you think you method would get the stink out?

Foxfur

Foxfur

When using sieves (and frankly when doing vacuum distillation as well) it really important that glassware be kept clean. I strongly suggest the use of a micro cleaning solution+sonicator followed by a dilute HCl/DI water rinse.

Hello Squiggly! I wanted to get straight on the acid rinse technique.
I've used the base bath followed by acid bath, Alconox, piranah solutions, sonication, HF (with a big tube of calcium gluconate in my coat pocket!), hot acids (HNO3 or aqua regia), and straight ultra-pure DI H2O (18 - 18.2 Megohms) for stubborn organometallics.
For all that I have never heard of an HCl/DI rinse for glassware whether to be used or shelved.
A typical rinse included 3-5x H2O rinses, 2x DI and 1-2x acetone rinse. Really quick turnarounds were blasted dry with dry nitrogen or argon. Only the pretentious prick scientists used argon with their big fancy NSF grants...
The great thing about science is that the more questions we answer the more questions we are left with.
Anyways Squiggles, I'd like to understand the reason(s) to use HCl as a glassware rinse.

Graywolf

Graywolf

thank you, graywolf, you are awesome! I have a batch of coconut butter salve. cooked in in a crockpot for a couple of days. i think i may have scored it. do you think you method would get the stink out?
Ummmm, not sure it would. You might try a small sample.

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Ummmm, not sure it would. You might try a small sample.
If you are who I think you are lol did my cousin get you the seeds I gave him to give to you? If this is not you then my bad lol.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Different folks have given me seeds, so not sure. If they went to a tattered old grey haired Graywolf in River City, it could be.

Can you describe them to me?

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
I thought it be worth a shot lol Harlequin Og, Jack Herer x Strawberry cough and Plushberry. I may have your name mixed up but when you said you are from the land of never ending rain my light bulb went on lol.

cannakis

cannakis

@Graywolf what do you do with your material after your two washes?! Wash again at room temperature? Transfuse into oil? Qwiso? Edibles? Et cetera et cetera...?

Graywolf

Graywolf

We usually compost it at that point.

I have done a QWET, followed by a BHO extraction, and got totally different properties. Both were couch locking, but the QWET kept my couch locked bodies mind racing, and the second BHO extraction let me peacefully drop off to sleep.

The first extraction tends to capture more of the lighter elements, and the second whats left.

cannakis

cannakis

We usually compost it at that point.

I have done a QWET, followed by a BHO extraction, and got totally different properties. Both were couch locking, but the QWET kept my couch locked bodies mind racing, and the second BHO extraction let me peacefully drop off to sleep.

The first extraction tends to capture more of the lighter elements, and the second whats left.
Gotcha figured there wasn't much use... Didn't know if it was worth making butter with...

Yeah that's why I REALLY like the Charris/Live Resin... I can dab a little Residual which is Still a golden brown and Not black like most oil reclaim, and put some more fresh resin on top Wooo Weee! Gives the full body and head high I look for, haha I do need to be careful it will put me to sleep.

Thanks for all your help and information Brother you have helped change my life! I finally unlocked the secret!!

E

Eed Cam

Hello,
I have been trying your purification processes on BHO product we made from old trim. The BHO came out a very dark black color and we wanted to bring it back to the more attractive concentrate color we are use to. After winterizing I have ran two sample one using the hexane/saline water wash and the second using the alcohol/hexane wash method. The hexane/saline water wash pulled lots of material from the hexane layer, but we never lost the black color. With the alcohol/hexane wash method we similarly had a large amount of material removed by the water layer, but did not see much improvement in overall clarity of the hexane layer. I'm not sure what kind of time it takes for you to purify a sample, and I'm wondering if I'm just not being patient or if I may be missing a key to the process. I know this process works I can see your results. I'm just hoping you could give me some guidance.
Thank you for any help!

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

GW, I had 30g of qwiso oil I put into a 1ltr bottle of 153proof diesel alcohol (shook for 3 days, then winterized and strained, then evaped for a little over 36hrs w/a fan. I had done a straight etoh wash on my trimmer and the end result was fantastic!!!!!!. I did let that dish sit for a week before scraping and came out like snap n pull wax and vaped nicely. this time with the qwiso then etoh wash, I evaped it, and let it sit for 1 day then did a test scrape. its still a bit gooey so I stopped, not the pull n snap the other etoh wash result was. should I let it sit for another week or is the gooey stuff what im going to be left with?

thanks

Graywolf

Graywolf

Hello,
I have been trying your purification processes on BHO product we made from old trim. The BHO came out a very dark black color and we wanted to bring it back to the more attractive concentrate color we are use to. After winterizing I have ran two sample one using the hexane/saline water wash and the second using the alcohol/hexane wash method. The hexane/saline water wash pulled lots of material from the hexane layer, but we never lost the black color. With the alcohol/hexane wash method we similarly had a large amount of material removed by the water layer, but did not see much improvement in overall clarity of the hexane layer. I'm not sure what kind of time it takes for you to purify a sample, and I'm wondering if I'm just not being patient or if I may be missing a key to the process. I know this process works I can see your results. I'm just hoping you could give me some guidance.
Thank you for any help!

Graywolf

Graywolf

The pictures were from reclaiming pipe dregs and roaches. It turned out surprisingly light colored, but that doesn't mean all oil will. Chlorophyll and anthro cyanin pigments are the darkest elements that can come into play.

What color is the oil when smeared on white paper?

Graywolf

Graywolf

GW, I had 30g of qwiso oil I put into a 1ltr bottle of 153proof diesel alcohol (shook for 3 days, then winterized and strained, then evaped for a little over 36hrs w/a fan. I had done a straight etoh wash on my trimmer and the end result was fantastic!!!!!!. I did let that dish sit for a week before scraping and came out like snap n pull wax and vaped nicely. this time with the qwiso then etoh wash, I evaped it, and let it sit for 1 day then did a test scrape. its still a bit gooey so I stopped, not the pull n snap the other etoh wash result was. should I let it sit for another week or is the gooey stuff what im going to be left with?

thanks

Based on your process, I would guess residual alcohol and water. Do you have a heated vacuum chamber or oven available?

Top Bottom