Getting to Know TLO Organic Growing

• Thread starter OfficialHaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OfficialHaze

OfficialHaze

TLO stands for "True Living Organics". This is a style of growing I have been slowly learning since I started reading Skunk Magazine and all the articles the Rev puts out such as his Sensi Ceremonies and other various session articles you could keep up with and keep in line if you never missed an issue (I did). Regardless though, I have put together quite a Skunk Archive to reflect on. Be that as it may I always felt I didn't have everything I needed, (and since I started studying it before I actually started growing the concepts were much harder to grasp), and had never felt comfortable enough to undergo an actual TLO grow specifically, although I have always grown organically.

Now though, or recently, the Rev came out with a book I searched for with anticipation called True Living Organics, (big stretch huh?). Anyway, With this book I found that I had more than everything I needed within the magazines as almost the entire book felt familiar. I did however understand with a whole new plain of knowledge what he was trying to explain throughout the article series published in Skunk.

Beyond this, and this is what I am really here to tell my fellow Organic growers about. The book Teaming with Microbes is an absolute must read for anyone growing in an organic fashion. This book has opened my eyes to a whole lot of things I didn't fully understand about my soil and it's relationship with my plant's, to the point where I have a whole new confidence in my own horticultural skill, especially as far as organics go. When I read this book, I realized that TLO was basically a cannabis based grow style that implemented the practices described in Teaming with Microbes. Giving me an awesome basis for developing these grow techniques, and maybe down the road deriving my own growing style and techniques..

I strongly suggest that anyone growing an organic garden read the book Teaming with Microbes. It is almost inspirational in the way that it gives you a very new way to think and look at growing not just Cannabis but anything we as human beings consume. It can be applied anywhere, in any kind of planting situation because the processes used involve the organisms already in the soil. Given you have a well built soil, (the how to's of which are also covered in the book).

• Underneath this paragraph is a picture of the three main books that I feel are most relevant to progressing my horticultural skills, (@ the time of writing). I recommend The upper two books to and for anyone who grows. I think they have given me better and more direct understanding of what I love so much.
• Hopefully, they can help a few of you too. Experienced or beginner growers will both find multiple useful facts at they're finger tips. And even if you have been aware of ALL the information provided in these books, hell everyone forgets things sometimes.
Getting to know tlo organic growing

OfficialHaze

OfficialHaze

I have also bee trying to write my own Cannabis Grower's Textbook. A one stop shop for everything cannabis grow-related. I want to make it the most relevant grow guide on the market, covering everything in current horticultural practice as far as cannabis gardens are concerned.

The reason for this is I always read and read different books and forums and blogs, etc, and still without having performed these practices it always felt as though I had a lack of knowledge, not so much to the process(s) themselves but the best way to perform the processes. Like I never got a simply put "how to" but that I had to discern these sections throughout all the other floating information.

SO,

I want to provide people with a since of security, that when they invest in starting or improving a garden that they have every bit of information needed to perform this/these processes hands on without fear of failure and/or wasted expenses. I'll be doing all kinds of research on this site, polls, posts, blogs, and reading others of course. So I'm really hoping maybe this awesome Canna-Community can help me out a bit with the research I still have to undergo. I also want to get feedback from other new and experienced growers to know what people most look for and want when they pick up a grow guide. Any information will help, I promise.

Thanks everyone,
Happy Growing!!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Welcome to the farm. :)

I'll be honest--I find the whole TLO thing to be incredibly gimmicky. However, I am a huge fan of Microbeman, KIS Organics and the folks who wrote Teaming With Microbes (and Teaming With Nutrients, which I need to get downloaded to read).

Jorge Cervantes is a very nice man.

S

ssteely71

TLO stands for "True Living Organics". This is a style of growing I have been slowly learning since I started reading Skunk Magazine and all the articles the Rev puts out such as his Sensi Ceremonies and other various session articles you could keep up with and keep in line if you never missed an issue (I did). Regardless though, I have put together quite a Skunk Archive to reflect on. Be that as it may I always felt I didn't have everything I needed, (and since I started studying it before I actually started growing the concepts were much harder to grasp), and had never felt comfortable enough to undergo an actual TLO grow specifically, although I have always grown organically.

Now though, or recently, the Rev came out with a book I searched for with anticipation called True Living Organics, (big stretch huh?). Anyway, With this book I found that I had more than everything I needed within the magazines as almost the entire book felt familiar. I did however understand with a whole new plain of knowledge what he was trying to explain throughout the article series published in Skunk.

Beyond this, and this is what I am really here to tell my fellow Organic growers about. The book Teaming with Microbes is an absolute must read for anyone growing in an organic fashion. This book has opened my eyes to a whole lot of things I didn't fully understand about my soil and it's relationship with my plant's, to the point where I have a whole new confidence in my own horticultural skill, especially as far as organics go. When I read this book, I realized that TLO was basically a cannabis based grow style that implemented the practices described in Teaming with Microbes. Giving me an awesome basis for developing these grow techniques, and maybe down the road deriving my own growing style and techniques..

I strongly suggest that anyone growing an organic garden read the book Teaming with Microbes. It is almost inspirational in the way that it gives you a very new way to think and look at growing not just Cannabis but anything we as human beings consume. It can be applied anywhere, in any kind of planting situation because the processes used involve the organisms already in the soil. Given you have a well built soil, (the how to's of which are also covered in the book).

• Underneath this paragraph is a picture of the three main books that I feel are most relevant to progressing my horticultural skills, (@ the time of writing). I recommend The upper two books to and for anyone who grows. I think they have given me better and more direct understanding of what I love so much.
• Hopefully, they can help a few of you too. Experienced or beginner growers will both find multiple useful facts at they're finger tips. And even if you have been aware of ALL the information provided in these books, hell everyone forgets things sometimes. View attachment 409069
Do you have any growing experience?

S

slap14

I grow TLO with a few twists and it works very well for me. Have been in organic soil for about 8 years and TLO for the last 3 or 4. I have had very good results with TLO style growing and plan on using it for a while or at least till I find something I like better.;) The basic plan makes it very easy for someone just getting into organic soil growing and allows for modification as you learn what works for you as you move along. There are also some great ideas for established soil growers but to each thier own. The way I look at it there is no perfect style just what works for you and what you enjoy.:)

Slap

OfficialHaze

OfficialHaze

Well I've been in organics myself, for as long as I have been a gardener. But when I read about TLO it really got my attention. I have always relied on the soil food web to take care of my plants but he takes it to another level almost. I like the style and Thats really my focus, learning TLO specifically.
Do you have any growing experience?

Plenty.. None using the TLO growing style (specifically) though, The only significance between the TLO style and the one I use now is the dependance on a healthy and productive soil food-web. The practices's he implements are something I've never gotten into too much, but I would love to learn to do properly. I really want to put his "best organic smoke" claim to the test, and where I'm at the easiest way to do that is to grow it myself.

S

ssteely71

Plenty.. None using the TLO growing style (specifically) though, The only significance between the TLO style and the one I use now is the dependance on a healthy and productive soil food-web. The practices's he implements are something I've never gotten into too much, but I would love to learn to do properly. I really want to put his "best organic smoke" claim to the test, and where I'm at the easiest way to do that is to grow it myself.

Just exactly what have you grown organically ? How much experience? How long ?

OfficialHaze

OfficialHaze

I've grown a cannabis garden the past five years or so, give or take a few months.

S

ssteely71

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
It was hard to tell by your obscure language and intermingling of past and present prose.
Your posts start like a sage dispensing wisdom then morph into your hopes of attaining greater skills. Thanks for sharing. Grow on.

D

DaRancor

Hey just wanted to ask a question about TLO in general. I was reading the Rev's book, and in the 2.1 soil mix he states:
- .5 cup of Dolomite Lime (powdered)
- 1.75 cup of Dolomite Lime (pelletized)

I was wondering did he mean both? Or does he want one or the other, if anybody with experience making this mix could give me some insight that would be much appreciated!!!

Toaster79

Toaster79

Hey just wanted to ask a question about TLO in general. I was reading the Rev's book, and in the 2.1 soil mix he states:

I was wondering did he mean both? Or does he want one or the other, if anybody with experience making this mix could give me some insight that would be much appreciated!!!

I'm a beginner myself so don't quote me on this one. I'd say he ment both. Powdered for quick release and peletized for slow release and pH buffering. But I very well might be wrong.

primordial

primordial

"The soil is not, as many suppose, a dead, inert substance. It is very much alive and dynamic. " J.I. Rodale

here's a link to some nice ph info plain and simple. Good stuff on lime in there to.
http://www.plantea.com/pH.htm

D

DaRancor

I gotcha thanks guys I have only been decomposing for 2 days, so I'm gonna make sure to mix some in tonight :-)

Top Bottom