Ghetto Grow Box, Critiques Please!?!

• Thread starter wad1224
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

wad1224

So this is yet another attempt to grow a quality indoor harvest, as the past few tries have been half-assed at best. I'm hoping this time I can at least start to ween myself away from the grossly overpriced ganja off the street, as I'm almost exclusively a "stoner". This time I didn't cut any corners. I've got quality soil, veg light, a homemade 400w cool-tube, adequate ventilation and quality genetics.

My Setup

Box Dimensions:
2 x 2 x 4 (converted wooden storage box)

Ventilation:
- Two 80 cfm intake fans at the bottom of the box for intake, as well as a 150 cfm fan that will act as an exhaust fan for the veg cycle , and will also be used for the homemade cool-tube I've built.
-I've also got a 200 cfm exhaust fan with a carbon scrubber to keep the box cool during the flowering cycle.

Lightning:

For vegetative: 6500k 125 watt cfl light.

For Flowering: 400 watt HPS (htg supply)

- I will be using a cool-tube for the HPS and also adding the 200 cfm exhaust fan to the box during the flowering period. The added ventilation is for not only the smell factor, but also the heat buildup from the addition of the 400w to such a small space (I haven't had the time to test it out yet).

Genetics
: For this grow I chose Barney's Farm "Phatt Fruitty" strain, as it is said to be short in stature, and has a short flowering time (8 weeks).

Soil/Fertilizer
: I chose to go with Roots Organics premixed soil, along with their grow & bloom fertilizers. For propagation I was planning on using peat pellets, as it was recommended by the gardening store worker for propagation.

I know I don't have pictures up YET, but I'd love any input anyone has on this grow op. I want it to go off without a hitch and I've yet to receive the seeds, so I'd like to get everything sorted out when they arrive.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
When you are using the 150 cfm exhaust fan you will be ok with 160 total cfm intake. When you use the 200 cfm fan the two 80 cfm fans and their combined 160 cfm will bog your 200 cfm fan down. This will create hot areas and/or ruin and possibly overheat the fan and the box will get hot and kill the plants or the fan could short out and cause a fire.

It is better to just have passive air intake that is at least twice the size of your exhaust hole. So if your exhaust hole is 6 inches you need two 6 inch intake holes or one 12 inch hole or three 4 inch holes. Passive intake is much more efficient and less costly. Your exhaust fan can freely draw in the exact amount of air it needs.

You can make light blocks various ways for the intake holes.

I would have a separate vent loop for the cool tube. Give it it's own intake hole on one side of the box and then on the other side make the exhaust hole with the 150 cfm fan drawing air from the intake hole through the cool tube and out the box. This air does not need filtered because it does not draw from the box. This will keep the grow area from even warming up very hot.

Then mount the 200 cfm fan to draw air from the box and out the filter. It will have it's own two passive intake holes drawing air from outside the box into the box and then out the 200 cfm fan and through the filter.

Without efficient ventilation a 400w in a 2x2x4 can get real hot and hard to manage. The way I describe will easily keep the grow area cool.

You got everything else under control and an interesting strain I never seen done before.

C

CT Guy

If you're doing 400 W, and have a magnetic ballast, you should really get the Philips CMH bulb. It's cheaper, longer lasting, and has an excellent spectrum that can be used for all plant cycles. There's an entire 2K post thread on another site.

S

StrongPimpin

Sounds like you have a lot covered. But why not just go with a cheap grow tent? I use two larger grow tents and can really controll everything nicely.

W

wad1224

Keep in mind this is a poor man's grow box. I don't have a job/money to spare, so I'm just doing what I can with what I've got. Unfortunately, I've gotta ghetto rig everything, but I think it will work out fine. I'm going to run the 400w only at night when I'm home, so I can monitor it easier. I figure if the box is too hot, I could leave the door cracked open. Anyways, I know everything isn't perfect but I'm determined to make it all work.

>>> The feminized seeds still haven't come in, so I just germed some heady bag-seeds. They just popped today and I've planted all 5 of them in plastic dixie cups. I might add the feminized seeds when they come in, but it really depends on how soon they get here. I'm on a strict time schedule

W

wad1224

Been a while since I've updated this thread, but I'm back. So since I last posted a lot has changed. Unfortunately, only 2 of the five seeds survive germination. I think I rushed planting them before their taproots were established. Anyways, the two that I have left are doing great and they're responding to my water/fert regimen well. Due to impending heat issues, I chose to sell off my 400 hps in exchange for a 250 so as to play it safe. I only have till the 20th till I've gotta throw them into flower, but I'm running the light 22/2 (has been 24/0) for the next 12 days till I switch the light cycle up. I'm nervous the plants may be a bit small to throw into flower, but I'm under time constraints as my lease is up come late May. I'm shooting for a May 14th harvest and with a flowering time of just 7-8 weeks, I could potentially give the plants a little more veg time.

**I'm going home for spring break this Friday till next weekend, and I'm worried about a lack of water for the girls. Would it be alright if I were to give them a heavy watering the day I leave, or is that too much stress on the plants?

Enough Dialogue, here's a few pics of my grow so far:

Progress 2011 meng 012
Progress 2011 meng 023
Top Bottom