Giant fan leaves in very early veg stage.

• Thread starter jdl90
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jdl90

jdl90

What I am noticing about LED lights....

With HPS lights, you raise the lights as the plants grow.... Right? Always keeping the lights within 18-24 inches (depending on bulb wattage)

With LED, it seems that you let the plants grow up into the light. The light stays mostly stationary.
Ahh I didnt know this at all!!
I’ve been using 50% for my cuts then when they’re in veg I put up to 100% and keep it about 18-20” away, until flower where eventually by the end I can’t lift the LED any higher due to grow space.
I’ve been LST in the past so they tend to stay pretty much as low as I can keep them from start to finish. So never really get too close to the LED.

Any suggestions what is a good distance to keep the LED if it is to remain stationary?

This is a learning curve for me as previous years I’ve always been hydro and using HPS.

So I’m basically only a couple of grows in using Soil and LED. (noob)

Thanks again all!

GanjaJack

GanjaJack

Yeh I'm in the same boat. But here's a graphic that I found.

My advice would be to look up the manufacturer recommendations, like my SF4000 lights have this graphic that shows how far they should be from the tops. I am not sure if this is for all LED lights, or only certain wattages or......
SF4000distance

jdl90

jdl90

Yeh I'm in the same boat. But here's a graphic that I found.

My advice would be to look up the manufacturer recommendations, like my SF4000 lights have this graphic that shows how far they should be from the tops. I am not sure if this is for all LED lights, or only certain wattages or......
View attachment 1220438
This is great info mate. I vaguely remember seeing this in the manual I got with the light. I’ll dig it out and have a look.

Going by that guide, my light intensity has been too high for the seedlings and cuts, and wayyy too close. I’ll have to go and sort them adjust this asap. At least I’ll know for next time 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Moshmen

Moshmen

Yeah that’s not quite how it works - most of go by a lux, par, those are the two most Common and inexpensive to ck imo I personally move my light and dial the intensity to what I what - example I like my board about 18” in flower and I run 45-60000 lux moving up the scale as plant matures then back in off before chop.

with led the closer to the plant with proper lux you will get the optimum penetration - sorry not a great splainer . Lol but that’s the most of it

GanjaJack

GanjaJack

Yeah that’s not quite how it works - most of go by a lux, par, those are the two most Common and inexpensive to ck imo I personally move my light and dial the intensity to what I what - example I like my board about 18” in flower and I run 45-60000 lux moving up the scale as plant matures then back in off before chop.

with led the closer to the plant with proper lux you will get the optimum penetration - sorry not a great splainer . Lol but that’s the most of it

I have one of those cheap ass PH/Moisture/Light meters, you know the green meter with the two metal prongs coming from the bottom?

When I do soil grows once every 5 years or so.. lol, I tend to start off watering like a newbie, so I get these meters to help me with moisture mostly until I get used to watering.

Do you know if these things are accurate light meters?

My 5x8 garden, is 7 feet tall, the lights are about 4 feet now. When I put the meter against the far walls and on the floor, it's hitting in the middle at 1000...... Not sure what the 1000 stands for. LOL!

C

CocoFun

I'm amazed how terrible the advice is in this section regarding big ass fan leaves. The time to worry is if those leaves taco, droop, curl, pale, etc....just tuck em or tie em. Those bigggg fan leaves are driving your plant thru veg and hold massive amounts of nute reserves. Tie tuck bend. Once you flip and start the stretch, the node spacing will increase, they'll become less an issue, THEN CLIP EM...if needed. Don't get rid of your good leaves until you see what the stretch is going to offer. Alot of times you won't even notice they were big, compared to the size of the plant.
Nice job brother, beauty.

C

CocoFun

Someone said light stress?? Why because the pale new growth??? Its new growth not yet full with chlorophyll. Wow. I wish people that actually grow wees woukd comment, not fans lol

B

Budtirement

I have a SF 2000. If I set it at 100% intensity at 18 inches I get a PPFD of 930 and DLI of 40 under center. That should be good for later in veg but it was probably a bit much for seedlings if you started them like that. That could be why they have big leaves. They reacted to intense light by spreading out and eating it up. So, if that is true it's not really an issue now. Another reason leaves get big is when you top the plant, the older leaves just get bigger waiting for new leaves to form. The new leaves growing out now will probably be smaller but more plentiful.
By topping it you've probably solved your tent height problem. 6 foot tent, 1 foot at the bottom for the pot, a foot at the top for light and ventilation, a foot needed between tops and light when they finish, leaves 3 feet to grow in. So if I were in that situation I think I would flip them if they pass 22-24 inches tall and prey for 12 inch colas!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Someone said light stress?? Why because the pale new growth??? Its new growth not yet full with chlorophyll. Wow. I wish people that actually grow wees woukd comment, not fans lol
it was already addressed those leaves were excessively large and bloated,. incorrect watering with too high humidity, not enough air flow,..
looks like your still learning as well,.,

Top Bottom