GIANT Fan Leaves

• Thread starter JJP53
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JJP53

I was just wondering if anyone removes the huge fans leaves form their plants. I have some plants from seed and they have some 8-9" wide fan leaves on 12" plants and they are blocking the light from penetrating to the lower branches.

ShivaSkunkPunk

ShivaSkunkPunk

As it was explained to me, you'd be better off tucking those monsters instead of jus chopp'n'm off as they're the plants stomach in a sense, Shady and Tobor the 8th man are a few of the Farmers w/ experience I trust, you also don't wanna cause them to stop in their tracks while trying to repair themselves and what not as it seems like they're nearing sexing age and will be ready to bloom, hope this helps

Peace SSP

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I'm gonna jump on with SSP and say that removal of a LARGE fan leaf is a bad idea. I LOVE large fan leaves.....it means LARGE PHOTOSYNTHESIS.

420king-MASSES

If the fan leaf is detrimental to growth then yes if ur in veg no dont take any foliage off but if in flower dont be afraid to open up the plants bud sites by taking off huge fan leafs also if leaf is bigger then ur hand take it off this is for indoor plants not outdoor

B

Buddy Flowers

look at the fan leaves as a solar panel from which the plant photosynthesizes therefore getting its energy

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

keep 'em!

I try not to remove too many fan leaves; the plants seem to self-prune somewhat in bloom. That said, I'm not opposed to removing a few top leaves here and there to get a little more light to inner buds, but I try to leave the girls as intact as possible.
Giant fan leaves are a sign your girls are in an environment they like- possibly just a little to high on the rh, causing them to grow larger in order to transpire more efficiently. I love 'em, though.

102_0204.JPG

as you can see, these huge fanners are papery, indicating a slight VPD issue

102_0117.JPG

S

smokestack23

Tuck em. I have never pulled a healthy fan leaf off on purpose.
Some people say to pull em if they're over 50% dead but even then..to me...if there's any green left in a leaf, the plant will use it. Whether that's true or not I don't know..again though...if you ask me...never pluck healthy fan leaves. Tuck em under the buds yes but they are the food factories for the plant. Not to mention pulling shit off your plants can throw them into shock for a bit.

All strain dependent of course and ymmv, imho, fwiw...

fractal

fractal

monkey balls hashplant has some giant leaves for sure. They were not a detriment because I rock it up and down on racks and they get an even dose of illumination from top to bottom. Maybe I could see cutting the tips off, like when taking cuttings just because I can't fit as many monkeyballs clones on a rack as most strains that have small leaves.

GEDC2757
GEDC2814
J

jaunyz

I have a similar issue. I'm growing blue widow under LED's in a 4 x 4 tent. The fan leaves are getting huge and I feel like the plant is growing out sideways as opposed to vertically. I posted a picture. Any comments or tips would be helpful. This is my very first grow.

Plants
Dan789

Dan789

Imho those leaves are going to power anything (read harvest) that your plant grows into. What was true in 2011 is still true today, (note old prior post). I wouldn’t coven consider removing any leaves unless you can’t get the tent zipped up on your 4x4.

Uckemfup

Uckemfup

These are the biggest fan leaves I’ve ever seen on such a small plant, growing rn in my tent...it’s a Green Crack strain @ 3 weeks.

Uckemfup

Uckemfup

Your coco is dry. Good luck with deficiencies in a few weeks

My coco is dry? It looks super wet to me...jk, I let it sit for an extra day in early veg sometimes to make the roots search for nutes/water and grow to the edge of the pot since I started them in a much larger container than they originally needed.

Uckemfup

Uckemfup

Your coco is dry. Good luck with deficiencies in a few weeks

Why would deficiency’s wait a few weeks to show up? I’m assuming from salt buildup you mean? If I’m watering until 20-30% runoff, how would I get a buildup/lockout? I am new to the coco game, not going to front on that...I will be increasing my waterings until I can water them daily, but rn at current size I have to wait 2-3 days or risk overwater...am I right?

MW7945

MW7945

Why would deficiency’s wait a few weeks to show up? I’m assuming from salt buildup you mean? If I’m watering until 20-30% runoff, how would I get a buildup/lockout? I am new to the coco game, not going to front on that...I will be increasing my waterings until I can water them daily, but rn at current size I have to wait 2-3 days or risk overwater...am I right?

Yup. Buildup. You need to water daily, period. Multiple times would be even better. You realistically cannot overwater coco.

dan1989

dan1989

There's really no need to water to runoff in coco at all. Soil yes, because you're letting the soil go dry. Coco, no. It should always be moist. The whole point of flushing is to remove salts that form when the medium dries out. Check out the side of a used bottle of nutes and you'll likely find some crystal stuff on the sides of the bottle neck or around the cap threads. This is the salt that forms in your dry media. This is what you're flushing out, which is also why you always remove runoff asap. But since you're gonna be keeping your coco moist at all times, no need for runoff, right? :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom