Girl Grows Wild: C99 on Earth Huice Regimine

• Thread starter TheSeedstress
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheSeedstress

Girl Grows Wild: C99 on Earth Juice Regimen

So here I go!

With two C99s bestowed upon me (Pheno 1/Pheno2), so begins my journey. I am taking a pretty hard-line scientific approach in order to produce a quality experiment on the effectiveness of Earth Juice products on this particular strain.

Today I am watering for the first time.

Procedure:

1) Using a glass bowl, collect .5 Gal of H20.

2) Calibrate pH meter to ensure accuracy of this session's readings, using HI7007 buffer

3) Test H20 for pH and temp (7.8 pH/18.0 C)

4) Pour nutes into custard cups to prevent cross-contamination

5) One at a time, add the nutrients (full strength) to the half gallon bowl of water. (See table below)

6) Mix the solution for one minute to ensure even distribution.

7) Pour 4 cups of the solution into a separate container (in order to dillute to the appropriate level of nutes / gallon)

8) Test the first half gallon for pH and temp (5.4/19.9 C)

9) Add Earth Juice Natural up (1/8 tsp) to raise pH, then test. (6.2 pH)

10) Add another sprinkle of Natural Up, then test. (6.5 pH/19.7 C)

11) Water both plants with approximately 1/4 gallon each.

12) Repeat steps 7-11 for the second half gallon.
(initial pH/temp = 5.0 / 17.7), only had to add pH up 1 time to get to pH 6.5 and temp of 17.7 C.

The water had a nice flow over into the drain pan (or springform pan in my case =)

Feeding Chart:
Substance Quantity pH Temp
H20 1 gal, sep. 7.8 18.0 C
CaMg* 5mL -- --
Catalyst 12mL -- --
Grow 5mL -- --
Kelp** 5mL -- --
Assist 17mL -- --

*CaMg is General Organics
**Kelp is Old Age

Observations

To test my beginning water, I scoop a sample into the cover for the pH tester and turn it on, this gives a quick and accurate read!

I used two different sources of water, the kitchen and the bathroom, there was a pH difference of 0.3 and temperature difference of 1.9 C between the two sources. This should account for the difference between the post-nute pH and temperature of the two half gallon solutions I made.

I think next time I'm going to do a pH test after the addition of each nute to get a better feel for how things are affecting the pH.

I've also got some soil drying (sampled from 5 places, 4" down) to test the pH, N,K,P.

So I'll be back tomorrow with more pictures, including the new suite I'm setting up today for these pretty lil' ladies!

:fixed:

Experiments 001
Experiments 002
true grit

true grit

Woot...and off you go! Do you have an EC/PPM meter? Using tap water?

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
What what.. You in the ATX.. Holla! Best of luck..

T

TheSeedstress

Woot...and off you go! Do you have an EC/PPM meter? Using tap water?

Using tap water until Monday -- need an adapter and/or plumbing wrench to install the R/O System. Made a bad investment (due to poor advice at TH) and bought only the pH/Temp meter under the assumption EC/PPM meters wouldn't read w/ Organic nutes.

The girls are looking good, didn't perk up as much as I thought but I think they need better light -- also happening on Monday. =) I'm sticking them under a Solar Wind VHO 48, need to get batteries for the Wii controller so I can use the Wii Fit Board to weight the thing -- make sure it doesn't weigh more than 100 lbs .(the Homebox XXL can take up to 200 lbs/100 per side per spec)

:pizza

T

TheSeedstress

Girl Grows Wild.. HAHAH, awesome :)

Why thank you! I have to give credit to Comedy Central -- if it wasn't for all the GGW commercials they play late night I might never have found this play on words.

T

TheSeedstress

Soil Testing: First Trial

Ok, so here it is day two. I really should have tested the soil prior to feeding but I didn't so I'm just going to have to use the following results as a starting point.

Procedure

1) Gather four Samples of soil from each plant (P1 and P2) from approximately four inches below the surface. To do this, I used a core sampler and then switched to a tablespoon (measuring). Each sample was taken at 12, 3, 6, and 9, using a clock-like diagram.

2) Separate the samples on a clean, dry plate and smush them using the back of the tablespoon to allow them to dry (and make rocks more visible!)

Experiments 004

3) Using plain wooden chopsticks, remove all large stones/debris. I left the perilite as I didn't think it would affect the testing.

Experiments 010

Experiments 007

4) Calibrate the pH meter to ensure accurate readings on water, then test 1 glassful of Brita-filtered water. (6.8 pH)

5) Fill the test container with approximately 1/8 tsp of soil. Open a test capsule and sprinkle over the soil. Then fill to the "water" line with the pH'ed water, using a pipette. Secure the lid.

Experiments 008

6) Shake the container vigorously for 30 seconds, place in a window sill (for sunlight, not direct) and wait 1 minute for the solution to settle. Using the color chart attached to the container, judge the pH.

Experiments 005

Experiments 006

Experiments 009

7) Repeat steps 1-6 for each of the seven remaining samples.

Results

Plant Sample Site Average
12 3 6 9
P1 5.0 6.5 6.0 5.0 5.6
p2 6.5 6.0 5.5 6.0 6.0

Observations

The P1 plant tested low for pH in the 3-12 sector of the potting plant.

The P2 plant tested low for pH in the 6 sector of the potting plant.

The pH of the soil is lower than I'd like it to be for optimum nutrient uptake, making further research necessary on how to increase the pH of the soil medium.

I also found several "fibers", some unidentifiable, others could be animal hairs (assumption made due to the "color-banding" on the hairs -- found in animal hairs). I am not sure if these came from the soil themselves or the environment in which the plant was found. I'm not aware of how these could/would affect the pH of the plant.

The necessity of checking the soil in several places was made clear as there was some variation in the pH level of the individual phenos. Again, not sure how to even distribute/ensure disapation of the solution used to raise the pH of the planting containers.

I've set up some samples (combined the 4 samples to get an "average" reading of each container) to test the NPK levels, but as its almost :420: and its recommended the samples sit for at least 30 minutes to settle, results are not yet reportable.

Experiments 011

Conclusions

Looking for advice on how to correct the pH of soil in planting containers and how to ensure even distribution on pH from anyone with thoughts. Further research required, planning on searching some forums and consulting a general soil gardening book. I want a pH of about 6.5.

Thanks for any input!

T

TheSeedstress

NPK Tests: Round 1

:character0110:After a proper 4:20, I finished up the NPK tests on the soil samples I pulled today.

Procedure

1) Combine 4 tsp of soil (1 from each section/plant) and 20 tsp of pH 6.8 H20. Shake vigorously for thirty seconds and let sit for 10 minutes.

2) Compare sample in test chamber to color chart on front of container.

Results

Experiments 012

Nitrogen Levels: Surplus

Potassium Levels: Deficient*

Potash Levels: Adequate

Observations
*The control sample (right chamber) appears to have taken on color, indicating that the capsule-content may have secreted into that session, a manual adjustment of 1 level was made to the reading because of this.

Results
Not sure yet -- it doesn't appear the testing kit gives approximate PPM conversions, based on the color chart. Further reading regarding appropriate levels of NPK and what each level (whether surplus or deficient) will do to the plants.

So that's it for today -- tomorrow the pics of the ladies new suite will be showcased, including enclosure, venting, lighting and scrubbing.

Toodles!

[:kiss

M

MASSES 420KING

that looks like an aweful lot of work throw some dolomite lime in your medium it will balance your mediums ph then you should be good

T

TheSeedstress

Thanks for the help, M420K!

You're right -- its a lot of work but the reasoning behind the collection of such tedious data is to be able to preemptively identify & correct problems before the tell-tale signs are macronized into physical symptoms on the plants themselves. Plus, I'm addicted to Microsoft Excel, loving charts and graphs. =)

L

LBZ Farmer

I don't know that you have to have all the ph even everywhere or if you would even want that. At different ph the roots absorb different nutrients. So some roots might be sucking up calcium and others iron.... Not a big deal in my opinion.

T

TheSeedstress

I don't know that you have to have all the ph even everywhere or if you would even want that. At different ph the roots absorb different nutrients. So some roots might be sucking up calcium and others iron.... Not a big deal in my opinion.

I like your perspective! I hadn't thought about it that way. :clapping

That's a lot of worry and work saved. Kudos.

:makeup

T

TheSeedstress

Is that a cotyledon or are you just happy to see me?

So things have been busy around these parts, here's what's changed:

1) Put up a new Sun System VHO with a 6" Ostberg Fan before the light...

Experiment 003

2) Upgraded to RO Water Filtration

Experiment 002

3) Setup a "lab" in the bathroom

Experiment 007

4) Replanted my mom's into 5 gal. smart pots (using Fox Farm Ocean Soil w/ extra perlite mixed in)

Experiment 006

5) Took 5 clones each of C99 P1 & C99 P2

Experiment 005

6) Popped 10 of each of the following beans:
a) SSSDH
b) Lemon Thai F3 (11 -- came with an extra bean!)
c) 13 dawgs

Experiment 009

7) Added at 10K BTU A/C as a band aid for cooler air until I've setup a better ventilation system that pulls cool air from outside.

Experiment 004

Everyone seems to be really happy! I am going to pick up a heating mat today to help keep the humidity up in the dome. I've had to scrap one of the P2 clones due to an unhealthy section of stem, but the other 9 are looking well. I'm happy to see baby leaves and tap roots developing on the beans =)

Before repotting the moms I found some strange scaling on the underside of one of the leaves:

Chickenfoot1

Chickenfoot5

I'm not sure what it is, I've visited the infirmary and didn't see anything that jumped out. Since transplant I haven't had any more of it show up...

I've also used some DE around the house, haven't used it in the tent yet as transplanting has removed the amount of gnats I've seen inside.

I'll be travelling over to the WC this week for a few so I'm leaving the garden in the hands of my sidekick, hopefully things will look even better when I get back.

Top Bottom