Give Your Bennies A Place To Live

• Thread starter FTWx561
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FTWx561

I found these a while back and figured I would share.

They are cheap, come with an extra set of filter media and are submersible so you don't have to hang something off the lip of the tank. All you need is an airline to power them. You also get the added benefit of adding more oxygen to the water as it create a bubbly waterfall. I don't clean or remove them from the tanks when switching out water. They make other sizes and shapes as well so you can find one that works for your res.

It will take a few weeks to colonize them but after a while you can see the biofilm covering the sponges under water. The water is sucked through the sponge and brought up the tube with air and is dropped back into the res via waterfall. The waterfall neck can be adjusted for height and the sponges swivel so they can be set vertical or horizontal.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3584+3936&pcatid=3936

My next quest is to try pre-colonizing them by placing the sponge media in my bucket when I brew the teas.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Keep us informed about how the precharging goes, and how well you think it's working- this looks promising!

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

someone on here had a DIY biofilter they had made for their UC. forget who now..

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Giddeon made a bad ass one from a brute.

I just picked one up for 75 bucks from a koi pond store.

click80

click80

I found these a while back and figured I would share.

They are cheap, come with an extra set of filter media and are submersible so you don't have to hang something off the lip of the tank. All you need is an airline to power them. You also get the added benefit of adding more oxygen to the water as it create a bubbly waterfall. I don't clean or remove them from the tanks when switching out water. They make other sizes and shapes as well so you can find one that works for your res.

It will take a few weeks to colonize them but after a while you can see the biofilm covering the sponges under water. The water is sucked through the sponge and brought up the tube with air and is dropped back into the res via waterfall. The waterfall neck can be adjusted for height and the sponges swivel so they can be set vertical or horizontal.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578 3579 3584 3936&pcatid=3936

My next quest is to try pre-colonizing them by placing the sponge media in my bucket when I brew the teas.

Good link...some good information on cycle of life on there also....

Also good idea about precharging it in the tea...please update when you can. Helluva price if it works for our needs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom