glass on glass emergency

• Thread starter 707SebTownOGkrew
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
707SebTownOGkrew

707SebTownOGkrew

i have a very nice and very expensive water pipe that has a shower cap down stem. its glass on glass and i cant seem to get the down stem out. can some one please help or have advise? iv tired everything as well as everyone else i trust to put there hands on it i don't know what else to do.

B

Beasters X Haze

is it resined in there? that makes a difference... some methods we use on the regular are

-get joint wet in the inside then tap with wood
-put in freezer and try to tap out
-use light flame to heat and it will come apart

many more but those are some solid tricks

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

if you can get vegetable oil in there itll help relieve the grip.

so does boiling water, but i will advise this is not something i'd tell you to do until the FINAL STRAW. it will weaken your glass, but it will get it off too.

grab a torch and go to work.

any of those ways, its always better to spin it out than to pull. (like unscrew style)

pugliese63

pugliese63

If or when you get your down stem out I'd get some joint wax. I picked up a couple of tubes from Aqua Lab Tech. It looks like chap stick and is to prevent the problem your having. Hope this will help in the future.

707SebTownOGkrew

707SebTownOGkrew

i want to thank all of you for the advise. capulator your method worked as i hoped. it was not very resinated from the start because im picky about keeping my water pipes clean. i have a blingin new peice again tho.
pugliese63 thank you for the good advise im looking into getting some of that now. better safe than sorry.
thanks guys.

RI Redneck

RI Redneck

so does boiling water, but i will advise this is not something i'd tell you to do until the FINAL STRAW. it will weaken your glass, but it will get it off too.

Borosilicate glass doesn't "weaken" at boiling water temps. That's why it's used for scientific glassware (and why Pyrex was so good to cook with back before the Chinese bought the brand and changed the formula). If you heat it up to boiling, then shove it straight into cold water, you *maybe* could cause it to crack from thermal expansion/contraction, but that has nothing to do with the glass weakening.

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

Borosilicate glass doesn't "weaken" at boiling water temps. That's why it's used for scientific glassware (and why Pyrex was so good to cook with back before the Chinese bought the brand and changed the formula). If you heat it up to boiling, then shove it straight into cold water, you *maybe* could cause it to crack from thermal expansion/contraction, but that has nothing to do with the glass weakening.
yeah i sleep at night and feel better though. haha.

gumby420

gumby420

its probably water locked. run warm water over the joint and VERY lightly tap on it with a wooden spoon. it will loosen up and come out. make sure the inside of the joints are dry when you put in the downstem next time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom