GLT 12/1 veg light intensity and reducing electric/light bill

• Thread starter calyxlover
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

calyxlover

Im excited to give GLT a try on my next run of fems I have germinating. With my new controller from Photontek, I have the ability to manipulate the light intensity to peak for a certain duration during the 12hour portion of the veg light cycle, and to turn on again for just one hour after 5.5hrs of complete darkness.

My question is, Does the light intensity matter during that single hour of light? Can I run my X1000W Pro at a lower intensity during that period to reduce electrical expenses?

Another feature the controller has is a Sunrise and Sunset mode, where I can control the duration it takes for the light to illuminate to my desired light intensity. (o-30min duration)

With these parameters in mind, Im my goals is to find the sweet spot between plant health and yield vs. electrical costs... I live in Arizona where I am battling a constantly hot and dry climate so I plan to have lights turn on around 6pm or so. Ive also switched to a cheaper price plan from my electric provider. Im hoping this will bring costs down as well...

1660771627226.png

I plan to reduce electric costs in flower by flipping to flower after 24hrs of darkness, flowering 11/13 for first four weeks then cut back fifteen min from the morning and night at the beginning of each week after that.
Last question, not directly related to GLT but I have heard some people will flip their lights to 18/6 for the last ten days (max number of days no more than that) then take clones before chopping. Anyone ever do this??

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
C

calyxlover

Couple other attributes that may or may not matter...
Tent:5x5x8
Light: Photontek 1000w CO2 Pro
Inline: AC infinity 8" (recirculating back into lung room, debating if i should send it out the window.. too dry? too hot outside?)
Circulating fans: 2 x AC Infinity 6" oscillating
Medium: Living Soil in 4x4 raised bed
Watering System: Hand watering but have six 5" tropfs from Blumat to install (6 enough for 12 plants? position them in the back/ hard to reach, then hand water the front of tent?)

Current Grow: Germinated seeds 8/15/22
6 Domepiece from Skunktek
3 F1 Sherb from Bay Area Cannabis Seeds
3 Cosmic Apprentice from Nightowl

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Im excited to give GLT a try on my next run of fems I have germinating. With my new controller from Photontek, I have the ability to manipulate the light intensity to peak for a certain duration during the 12hour portion of the veg light cycle, and to turn on again for just one hour after 5.5hrs of complete darkness.

My question is, Does the light intensity matter during that single hour of light? Can I run my X1000W Pro at a lower intensity during that period to reduce electrical expenses?

Another feature the controller has is a Sunrise and Sunset mode, where I can control the duration it takes for the light to illuminate to my desired light intensity. (o-30min duration)

With these parameters in mind, Im my goals is to find the sweet spot between plant health and yield vs. electrical costs... I live in Arizona where I am battling a constantly hot and dry climate so I plan to have lights turn on around 6pm or so. Ive also switched to a cheaper price plan from my electric provider. Im hoping this will bring costs down as well...

View attachment 1272179

I plan to reduce electric costs in flower by flipping to flower after 24hrs of darkness, flowering 11/13 for first four weeks then cut back fifteen min from the morning and night at the beginning of each week after that.
Last question, not directly related to GLT but I have heard some people will flip their lights to 18/6 for the last ten days (max number of days no more than that) then take clones before chopping. Anyone ever do this??

Thank you for your time.
I've done 11/13...smaller lighter buds as a result, I'm back at 12/12, I may try 12:30/11:30 just to see if it does anything different.

C

calyxlover

I've done 11/13...smaller lighter buds as a result, I'm back at 12/12, I may try 12:30/11:30 just to see if it does anything different.
It's interesting to hear that just one hour from the standard 12/12 had that effect. I suppose I could run co2. I have a sensor from trolmaster and titan regulator just not using since I have the photontek controller. Plus, I have the tent in a somewhat sealable room (uh oh my closet clothes are in there)... Maybe that would speed things along in veg for me/bring light expense down overall?
I should add that I also have been an avid homebrewer for eleven yrs now. I have a collection of fermentation vessels (8-9glass primary carboys plus 5 kegs). Maybe I can use a combo of molasses or some other clean fermentable/brewers yeast to make a solera(keeping adding to it or drawing some off if full) co2 harvsting system to supplement a 20# tank + 5# tank for when the big one runs out? idk im just puffin and spit ballin :D
Schedule would be as follows:
Bring the girls up to 8oo for early veg till last week. Then bring up to full power 1200-1500ppm for that last week, plus two weeks of flower. Then back to 800 till last week of flower when I will cut it off.

growsince79

growsince79

I've pretty much tried it all from 13-11 to 10-14. For me it depends on the plant. There it is again-it depends. Some almost have to have more than 12 dark to finish. Some indicas can do 13 light and just get bigger. I do perpetual so it makes things tricky.

Top Bottom